PDA

View Full Version : Why is this so?

insideout
22-04-2010, 05:59 PM
just doing a quick compare on new DF 150 suzukis.

http://www.boattrader.com/dealers/Diamond-Suzuki-Marine/2849854/

as compared to aussie pricing

http://www.boatsales.com.au/showroom/details.aspx?R=466334&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=p_BoatHasPrice_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_BoatReleaseDa te_DateTime%7c1%7c%7c%7cp_BoatMake_String%7c0%7c%7 cp_BoatModel_String%7c0&SearchAction=N&__N=3142%203221%203240%204294774216&silo=1408&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=46&__sid=128269E129B6

Have i got this right, pricing wise????

Seems like quite a gap to me, even after import duty and warranty ect.:o :o

deathstar 3
22-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Inside out, I see this a fare bit my industry as well. My customer can import spare parts from the OEM, in the USA, cheaper then I can by them here in AUS from the spare part component manufacturer.

These aren't special supplies/components either, they are "off the shelf items" commonly available here.

Cheers John

Lovey80
24-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Yep its a joke! I am looking at importing a boat this year. I may see if I can get a couple of four strokes thrown inside before it gets put on the cradle. At exactly half the price who cares about warranty the likely hood of a full failure is unlikely and there is a lot of repairs in half price. Even if there was a full failure on an engine your not out of pocket much to import another one.

Cheers

Chris

Jabba_
24-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Inside out, I see this a fare bit my industry as well. My customer can import spare parts from the OEM, in the USA, cheaper then I can by them here in AUS from the spare part component manufacturer.

These aren't special supplies/components either, they are "off the shelf items" commonly available here.

Cheers John
Annd what do you dao about it?... If II were you I would be sticking real hard up the Australian importers arse, I would make it clear to him if does nott make the effort to lower his wholesale prices you too will also buy from the internet...

finga
24-04-2010, 06:39 AM
The same goes for tackle too.
We are a registered tackle manufacturer and we approached the importers of Owner hooks here in Australia and when it all boils down we can buy cheaper and have to hooks at our doorstep quicker by buying at Cabella's in the states (by the box of 25) then through the Owner Distributor in Brisbane (when wanting to order 30,000 hooks)....buy a long way too.

They don't really care was the impression I got.
Same as Frogley's the Gama blokes.

They must think they have a captive audience seeing we're stuck here surrounded by ocean but the World Wide Web makes that just a fond memory.

Dean1
24-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Yes it makes you wonder, was looking at this option when i repowered. Obviously there would be import costs as well but if you could get say 3 or 4 people chasing new motors you could bring them over in a container and split the costs!?

Mmm new lightweight yammie 70's would be nice :)
Anybody else keen??

150's Dan what are you thinking bout bout a 7m cat now mate?????????????

I know your'e scanning boatpoint regularly you cant help yourself :P

spelchek
24-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Annd what do you dao about it?... If II were you I would be sticking real hard up the Australian importers arse, I would make it clear to him if does nott make the effort to lower his wholesale prices you too will also buy from the internet...

It's just not always that easy, Jabba. If it was that easy importer/retailers would be doing it to be able to offer cheaper prices thus attracting more customers.

finga
24-04-2010, 10:35 AM

It's just not always that easy, Jabba. If it was that easy importer/retailers would be doing it to be able to offer cheaper prices thus attracting more customers.
Maybe the importers are just greedy....captive audience and all that.
In this case even if you consider the exchange rate + taxes payable on the motors which I think would be at maximum 25% ie GTS and import duty they still look cheap in the US as compared to Australia.
This is not even looking at the tax you will be contributing to the US coffers if brought through the US and imported here.
If the engines come from Japan and instead of heading to the US they head to us then the shipping difference would be nearly zero and, (please anybody at all correct me if I'm wrong), but the Australian import duty would be nil as outboards are not made in Australia at all so you'd have the GST to pay + port duties and fees.
Where's the extra costs??
I'd love to know if a distributor of outboards is out there. An answer might stop people looking at the US.

spelchek
24-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Mabye, finga. But you are assuming the manufacturer is selling the motors to the aussie dealers/importers for the same as they are selling them to the US dealers (not always the case). You are also assuming there is a number of importers importing the same engine - in my import business there are exclusivity deals between manufacturers and, thus, only one importer/distributor of product X so shopping around distributors is not possible. Going around these importers (ie parallel importing) is possible with some products, but when the need for after-sales service (such as warranties etc) is present, parallel importing will leave you vulnerable (no relationship with the manufacturer). After all - it's you (the parallel importer) who has to pony up the $ for repairs/parts instead of the manufacturer.

Please, I'm not necessarily defending these cost discrepancies and, indeed, have bought fishing gear from the US because of substantial price differences. I am simply saying it is not always as easy as 'sticking it real hard up the australian importers arse'.

stevej
24-04-2010, 01:06 PM
all of australia wouldnt add up to 2 states in the us in outboard sales

Jabba_
24-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe, finga. But you are assuming the manufacturer is selling the motors to the aussie dealers/importers for the same as they are selling them to the US dealers (not always the case). You are also assuming there is a number of importers importing the same engine - in my import business there are exclusivity deals between manufacturers and, thus, only one importer/distributor of product X so shopping around distributors is not possible. Going around these importers (in parallel importing) is possible with some products, but when the need for after-sales service (such as warranties etc) is present, parallel importing will leave you vulnerable (no relationship with the manufacturer). After all - it's you (the parallel importer) who has to pony up the $ for repairs/parts instead of the manufacturer.

Please, I'm not necessarily defending these cost discrepancies and, indeed, have bought fishing gear from the US because of substantial price differences. I am simply saying it is not always as easy as 'sticking it real hard up the Australian importers arse'.

I hear what you saying, and would say I am a real believer and supporting your local retailer.....

BUT, the price difference is huge, and just because America has a bigger market doesn't really wash any more.. The market is now a world wide market, it's no longer localized...

Even if you import a new Suzuki with no warranty and you do blow the powerhead or gearbox,, it will still be cheaper even after importing a new powerhead or gearbox... Now our Aussie dollar is all most a equal parity, the numbers are no longer stacking up in favor for buy from Australian retailer..... And it wont be until there hemorrhaging that they realize they no longer have us corned....
We have the Internet, so shopping around is a quick world wide search..

spelchek
24-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Sure Jabba - I agree - I do a lot of my shoping on the internet too. I wasn't having a go at people who do so - I was just stating that a lot of the time, the aussie retailer doesn't have much choice in how much they charge. And to say they should just 'stick it up the importers arse' is just not realistic in a lot of cases.

At the end of the day you've got to go with the best option for YOU. If you can support a local business, all the better, but the bottom line is - I'd rather have the $$ in MY pocket.

For what it's worth - my business is importing and retailing (via the internet) a niche product from Scotland.

Chimo
24-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Spellchek

Have you got Hardneck garlic ?

Cheers
Chimo

spelchek
24-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I have no idea what you mean chimo. What i import is 100% natural though and i do have one line certified 100% organic!

Steeler
24-04-2010, 04:51 PM
A happy Scott,there few and far between ( tongue in cheek )

Chimo
24-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi Spelchek

Scottish
What is Hardneck Garlic?
Technically, it is allium sativum ophioscorodon. Unlike the softneck garlic grown commercially, especially in Spain and China, this garlic subspecies produces a hard, woody flower stalk. The flower (topset or umbel) often contains bulbils. Many varieties develop partial or full coils in the stalks (scapes). We have to remove the scape in order to increase the size of the harvested bulbs. The results vary from variety to variety. Many of the hardnecks, have very rich and distinctive flavors, including the much prized Rocamboles. Porcelain hardnecks are increasingly being grown in Canada and now in Scotland they have the advantage of having large even sized cloves with a longer storage life but still retaining the superior taste. Many chefs praise the various hardneck varieties for their true garlic flavour. The cloves are also relatively easy to peel

finga
24-04-2010, 06:04 PM
A happy Scott,there few and far between ( tongue in cheek )
Yeah...Scott's are always pi$$ed for some reason.
Scots are usually a lot better behaved. Just nutters though :wink:
Cheers then
Scott :cheesy:

Steeler
24-04-2010, 06:16 PM
And very organic,right down to whats under the kilt.

finga
24-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Back to the thread now...
I was reading the warranty bit on the Suzuki website and found this.

Now I'm a bit on the dumb side but reading the bits I have highlighted (by making bold and red), does it seem that as long as you tell the authorised agent you want the motor for Australia it's covered by Suzuki warranty??

I wonder what the exclusions are??
I suppose I'd have to buy one to find out what the fine print is. :(

(2) Outboard Motor Warranty Period and Warranty Policy
RECREATIONAL USAGE
DF 4-Stroke Models – DF2.5 – DF25
Any new Suzuki DF2.5 to DF30 HP outboard purchased from and registered by an authorised Suzuki Marine dealer, for recreational usage in Australia or New Zealand, will be warranted against defects in the materials or workmanship for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase/delivery, subject to the exclusions (details in the Service & Warranty Manual).
DF 4-Stroke Models - DF40HP – DF300HP
Any new 2006 and later (40-300 EFI) model purchased from and registered by an authorised Suzuki Marine dealer from the 3rd July 2006, for recreational usage in Australia, and from the 1st November 2006, in New Zealand, will be warranted against defects in the materials or workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of Purchase/Delivery, subject to the exclusions (details in the Service & Warranty Manual).
DT 2-Strokes Models - DT2.2 – DT40
Any new Suzuki DT9.9 to DT40 HP outboard purchased from and registered by an authorised Suzuki Marine dealer, for recreational usage in Australia or New Zealand, will be warranted against defects in the materials and/or workmanship for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase/delivery, subject to exclusions (details in the Service & Warranty Manual).

Steeler
24-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I could be wrong however i thought i did read on here some time back that with some brands you would get warranty on the provision it was installed by a dealer.

Happy to be corrected.

Steeler

spelchek
24-04-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.plant-biology.com/Garlic-Chives.jpg

Flex
24-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I could be wrong however i thought i did read on here some time back that with some brands you would get warranty on the provision it was installed by a dealer.

Happy to be corrected.

Steeler

You will probably find most dealers wont touch you. If you didn't buy it from them good luck getting them to install it.

After having imported my boat, mearly mentioning the fact its "imported" im very surprised at the hostility. Been to a few trailer places lately and every single one of em had their backs up. Can understand some annoyance, but I was a tad surprised.

Im sure if a major boat yard in Brissy imported a heap of outboards from the states privatly, and whacked 20% on em(still be 30% cheap than anywhere else) and advertised em as limited warranty people would still snap em up.

Who here would buy a brand new 140hp suzuki with no warranty for 10 grand? I would

wrxhoon
24-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Mercury will honour warranty problems if you import your own from USA as long as it is pre -delivered by one of their dealers , either here or in USA.

Prices in USA look better that they actually are because when you buy an engine there its just that, engine only, no prop no controls . Add to that GST ( no import duty on USA made goods , we have free trade agreement ) freight on the top of that , then the exchange rate . At pressent its 0.927 so most people will get around the 0.91 still very good but what about when the rate was 0.65???
I'm not in any way trying to defend local retailers here , I'm just pointing the facts and with current exchange rate I woudn't buy anything here .

Steeler
24-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Cheers WRX,i knew i had seen it on here in past just for the life of me could not remember which brand.

Steeler