PDA

View Full Version : Watersnake SWDR54/48 Broken Shaft

sooty_mad
22-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I recently broke the shaft on my Watersnake SWDR54/48. Whilst I acknowledge that I hit a submerged rock, it really wasn't that big a bump and I was very surprised how easily it snapped.
I have had a bow mount Minn Kota AP55 on my other boat for seven years and I can honestly say that I have hit rocks/logs a lot harder than this and never sustained any damage.
Jarvis Marine won't repair the damage under warranty (which I understand) and will charge $150 repair and $60 return freight.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with breaking a shaft? Please let me know as if it is an inherent fault, I may not bother repairing it and go back to a bow mount Minn Kota.
Apart from this I have been very happy with the performance of the WS.
Kind regards... David

Coontakinta
24-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your plight mate, even more so that I have to say I have had two, a 44 & 54lb, both have been used and i'll admit abused. Might be tempting murphy here, but have had both in some ordinary positions and never broke one yet.

sooty_mad
25-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the reply Coontakinta. Like I said I was not whingeing as so far I have been very happy with the performance and ease of use, particularly the foot controls. I will send it off this week to get repaired.
Thanks and kind regards... David