PDA

View Full Version : 175 evinrude question

Flex
22-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all.

Might be a dumb question, But i have a 02 175 DI evinrude and on the base of throttle lever is what seems to be a button. Tried pressing it for a few different running situations for no effect.

whats it for?

Chimo
22-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Thats the passenger ejection seat, you have to arm it first!

Noelm
22-04-2010, 11:39 AM
not too sure what you mean by "on the base" on that control (if it is a standard one) there should be a key, and a small "thing" under it that the lanyard attaches to, and when the lanyard is removed, it turns the key off, and a gear lever with a lift up lock out, a warm up lever (that you will hardly ever use), so we need a picture, or a much better explaination.

Flex
22-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok here is a pick.

Chimo
22-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Flex

Its not the ejector switch!

Seriously though, if you depress it and increase the throttle you will NOT engage the gearbox, so you can increase the revs to warm the motor, or whatever, without the gearbox / propellor

I have the same on my 115 controls

How was the trial run?

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
22-04-2010, 12:52 PM
OH, OK, that is a binnacle control and that is the button to disengage the gear cable, (as Chimo said) so you can use the control lever as a throttle only, for fast idle and so on.

Flex
22-04-2010, 01:34 PM
ahhh. thats great.

So i simply hold it down and increase the revs? what happens if i let it go will the gearbox engage?

Test run was fantastic. engine serviced fine, got a print out of its history. 361 hours. with 150 of those done at below 1000rpm. never been overheated or had any major alarms. Mechanic said it was in top shape.

I was very surprised how quiet it was, no smoke and starts straight away. DI 2 strokes have a unique noise though. But i was happy with it

Boat ran great.

Only other issue I had was the hydraulic steering. seems it much stiffer turning to port, even when out of the water and make a slight click noise every revolution of the wheel.
turn to starboard is almost to easy, outboard actually wants to fall that way.

I inspected all the lines and the hydraulic steering looks brand new.

Thoughts?

Noelm
22-04-2010, 02:07 PM
bit hard to diagnose the steering problem, it should be the same both ways (of course) what brand is it?

Chimo
22-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Flex

So i simply hold it down and increase the revs? what happens if i let it go will the gearbox engage?

No. Hold the button down and once the lever has gone forward past neutral and the revs have increased it stays down until you bring the lever back to neutral.

Have no idea about the steering, maybe pumping up the ejector mechanism????

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
22-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I too have a binnacle but Yamaha stuff, mine has the same arrangement although the button is down on the outside of the throttle arm base. it's simply a great help in starting as i can give it a little throttle (or a lot) independent of the gears then turn the key.

cormorant
22-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Glad the motor checked out OK. Use the right oil and good fuel and it should be Ok.

The DI should never need the thottle raised manually. The computer, ECU will adjust the idle even if you pull off 2 plug leads. If it doesn't idle you have a issue and need to visit a authorised person.. It will idle at up to 750rpm cold and probably 600 warm and the ECU controls this with air density, block temp etc to keep the idle correct whether it is in or out of gear.

With a DI Rude if you disengage the the gear selector at the binacle and rev the motor you may find it will "run away "and rev i'ts guts out ( so do it very carefully with a slight movement and come straight back to idle or worst case pull the kill lanyard) . This is because the TPS "Throttle position sensor" says you are trying to accelerate and the computer will add more fuel and without load the motor "runs away " . They do not have a in gear sensor so the computer assumes as the throttle rises you are wanting to get up onto teh plane.

Those hours breakup is typical and as long as it hasn't been thrashed at the top end revs for all the others or on the rev limiter.

Chimo
22-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Who said you cannot learn something every day. DI has a few differnces cf to the older non DI stuff. Good to know for when the need arises. Thanks Corm.

Cheers
Chimo

wrxhoon
22-04-2010, 08:23 PM
With a DI Rude if you disengage the the gear selector at the binacle and rev the motor you may find it will "run away "and rev i'ts guts out ( so do it very carefully with a slight movement and come straight back to idle or worst case pull the kill lanyard) . This is because the TPS "Throttle position sensor" says you are trying to accelerate and the computer will add more fuel and without load the motor "runs away " . They do not have a in gear sensor so the computer assumes as the throttle rises you are wanting to get up onto teh plane.

I don't know about the E/rude but Merc optimax will not rev in neutral the ecu will not let you unless she is in gear.

Flex ,

Are you sure you have a Hydraulic steering? thats typical of a cable steering mate , hydraulic has the same load both sides .
If its hydraulic it will be seastar and there will be something wrong with it if it behaves like you say it does.

2 Stroke DFI engines don't blow any smoke at all and they comply with CAL emissions , they also use a lot less fuel than normal old school carby and EFI 2 strokes , they use about the same as modern EFI 4 strokes , my 200 OPti uses 1.4lts per hour downrigging at 600 rpm and about 28 lts per hour at 3900 rpm doing 30mph.

cormorant
22-04-2010, 09:20 PM
The clicking happens on seastar units. . Our thoughts were the over pressure valve in the helm wasn't "clearing"itself. The over pressure valve means that when you turn the wheel to full lock and keep turning it bypasses and therefore doesn't blow the tubes off. Go to the opposite lock and do the same. Clears any little grit in there.
The other valve in the helm is the "no feedback" . Basically it takes 1/20 of a turn to before the helm pump starts pumpng . Again a few port and stbd turnings reset it for us

After a good bleed with correct hydraulic fluid it went . Never solved why but that fixed it for us

I slight ripple pulse as you turn the wheel is often quite normal as you have a small 3-5 chamber hydraulic pump ausing that.

Stiffer one way than the other.

Question. Is it a bullhorn cylinder at the motor? Bullhorn are the ones that stick out both sides of teh tilt tube hole and the cylinder of the unit attached to the steering arm of the motor directly?

Or is it a single sided ram?

If a single sided ram they are called a "unbalanced ram ". Means that to turn one way it takes turns of the wheel and the other it takes 10 turns. It may give the illusion as it takes more turns to go one way than the other

Is the boat on level ground. Motors weigh a bit and you can feel extra weight if boat is on a slope.

If it is in the water you feel it it is probably teh trim tab behind teh prop set incorrectly

Flex
24-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

Not sure of the brand as Im back up at work for a week.

Its a single sided ram on the port side. so your saying these are set up to take more turns one way that the other?

cormorant
24-04-2010, 11:44 PM
explaination is here on page 5 - (178). Full service and problem solving in the document

http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/download/Seastar_Boat_Steering_Technical_Reference.pdf

FNQCairns
25-04-2010, 06:07 AM
As mentioned above my thoughts too on the uneven turning pressure issue will be type of cylinder, it doest take long for the brain to mostly forget about the issue.

Anyone own a 4 stroke with controls that will allow free reving? Will it free rev??

Greg P
25-04-2010, 08:39 AM
MY DF150 Zuke will let you free rev in neutral to about 1500rpm (I think) by using the warm up lever

FNQCairns
25-04-2010, 02:44 PM
MY DF150 Zuke will let you free rev in neutral to about 1500rpm (I think) by using the warm up lever

Yeah that would be right, I have not had much to do with the workings of 4 stroke outboard equivalents of efi cars. Would be nice if same as typical EFi vehicles one could introduce full throttle movement for starting, would in theory save quite a few tows home of 4 stroke engined boats each year.

Doesn't really matter though.

Flex
25-04-2010, 08:03 PM
explaination is here on page 5 - (178). Full service and problem solving in the document

http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/download/Seastar_Boat_Steering_Technical_Reference.pdf

Thanks alot for the info! I'll give it the once over when i go down on Wed to pick it up.

Cheers..

cormorant
25-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah that would be right, I have not had much to do with the workings of 4 stroke outboard equivalents of efi cars. Would be nice if same as typical EFi vehicles one could introduce full throttle movement for starting, would in theory save quite a few tows home of 4 stroke engined boats each year.

Doesn't really matter though.

Not sure I understand. Noot many flooded motors out there is there? With the electronics it would just put more fuel in with the TPS setting saying it needs it .

FNQCairns
25-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Not sure I understand. Noot many flooded motors out there is there? With teh electronics it would just put more fuel in with the TPS setting saying it needs it .

Yeah well that's sort of the point, if a modern 4 strokes doesn't have the ability to open the throttle body to align with foot pedal position upon first rotation of the engine...a bit like it seems the DI 2 strokes will not, then the once simple get me out of trouble procedures are mute.

Still modern technology will never be able to lock out the Start Ya Bastard procedure.

bigjimg
26-04-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't know about the E/rude but Merc optimax will not rev in neutral the ecu will not let you unless she is in gear.

Flex ,

Are you sure you have a Hydraulic steering? thats typical of a cable steering mate , hydraulic has the same load both sides .
If its hydraulic it will be seastar and there will be something wrong with it if it behaves like you say it does.

2 Stroke DFI engines don't blow any smoke at all and they comply with CAL emissions , they also use a lot less fuel than normal old school carby and EFI 2 strokes , they use about the same as modern EFI 4 strokes , my 200 OPti uses 1.4lts per hour downrigging at 600 rpm and about 28 lts per hour at 3900 rpm doing 30mph.
What Opti have you got WRX,as mine has a throttle disengage mech and will allow you to throttle up out of gear.Also Flex,have you got a torque tale on the Evinrude,as with hydraulic steering I thought you didn't need one.Havn't got one on my 135.I've got seastar with a bullhorn ram and feel no pulling or feedback of any kind.Sorry WRX dogs were going off just saw you have the 200 opti,yours doesn't have the center push in button on the control box throttle lever. Jim

cormorant
26-04-2010, 10:22 PM
.Also Flex,have you got a torque tale on the Evinrude,as with hydraulic steering I thought you didn't need one.Havn't got one on my 135.I've got seastar with a bullhorn ram and feel no pulling or feedback of any kind.Sorry WRX dogs were going off just saw you have the 200 opti,yours doesn't have the center push in button on the control box throttle lever. Jim

Trim tab to stop torque steer shuld always be left on in my mind as if you have a high speed steering failure of teh bolt that attached the steering arm or the bullhorn the boat will still steer relatively straight not turn sharply and throw you out - yep it can happen

In the olden days to set up twin setups on a mono you would actually set the trim tabs and do a run on the plane and then carefully remove the tie bar to get the exact alighnment with the laminar flow of water over fin and torque from prop - is a don't try this one at home kids. Actually interesting to see the hp loss and different speed achieved with small adjustments and often looked at wrong angles till you proved it to yourself.