PDA

View Full Version : Stopping mold in my boat

fishfeeder
21-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Can someone help me with information on products to stop mold in my boat its a Vagabond 6.2
Its stored in a carport with shade cloth along the side.
I dont cover with a tarp but i am thinking of getting one to keep the dust out.
Will this also make the mold issues worse.

Fishfeeder

hsv 408
21-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Exit mould get it from woolies and the like.

bigjimg
21-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Fishfeeder you can also use a product called Damprid or similar.Granules you pour into the supplied container and you leave in the cabin to take the damp out of the air.I too used to get mould appear on the pinch moulding around the hatch and other places and since using have had no further problems.Exit Mould or Mould Away will take care of existing mould just don't get any on the squabs or you will bleach out the colour permanently.Jim

themissus
21-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Try clove oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. Clove oil is a mould retardant. Have a look on the Shannon Lush web site, she has all sorts of non chemical soultions/cleaning products you can make from stuff you already have at home.
Cheers Kim.

Chimo
21-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi fishfeeder

Where are you, weather wise?

As well as all the above treatments and Vanilla fridgewipe that I use on the eskys etc to deal with the evidence I have found on my Vag and on previous boats too that the best way to prevent mould is good ventilation.

I run a couple of 240 v computer fans 24 / 7 and even with the boat covered with a tarp or with the clears in place mould has not been an issue. One points into the cabin and the other towards the rear to deal with the batterys, oil bottles and seats.

Cheers
Chimo

fishfeeder
21-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks all for the reply's....
I am in Brisbane, boats up near Bribie, with all this rain its becoming a pain. I leave the boat open as much as possible to help air it out.
The clove oil sounds like a good one to try. I think i have cleaned the boat more from sitting and getting covered in dust and mold then from being out fishing.
So i guess if i tarp the boat up its going to make the mold heaps worse ?, I will also look into the Damprid products.

Thanks again for the help
Fishfeeder

sleepygreg
21-04-2010, 06:51 PM
The bleach type products dont kill the mold spores, they just remove and/or cover up the growing mold, and do a lot of collateral damge unless you are really careful. As Kim says...oil of cloves....quarter of a teaspoon to a litre of water, in one of those hand atomisers, then mist over the mold. The mold will fall off in a couple of days. Oil of cloves kills the mold spores as well as the living mold. All courtesy of Shannon Lush. (yes it works - I have tried it).

Greg

fishfeeder
04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Greg,

The oil of Cloves mixed with water worked a treat.

Fishfeeder http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

honda900
04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
How's the clove oil go on fabric, such as canopies?

Regards
HOnda

sleepygreg
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
No probs Honda...works a treat especially on woven fabrics like canvas where you cant normally get into the weave. It is not a solvent for anything so it wont harm fabrics, nor is it a bleach so it wont affect dyed surfaces.

sleepygreg
05-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Just stick to the ratios....quarter of a teaspoon to a litre of water.....MORE IS NOT BETTER.

Wazz01
10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Fishfeeder you can also use a product called Damprid or similar.Granules you pour into the supplied container and you leave in the cabin to take the damp out of the air.I too used to get mould appear on the pinch moulding around the hatch and other places and since using have had no further problems.Exit Mould or Mould Away will take care of existing mould just don't get any on the squabs or you will bleach out the colour permanently.Jim

I also use the Damprid products, I place three or four of them in the boat before I cover her up. You can pick em up at woolies and purchase refill packets of the granules.
Next time I unrap the boat I have containers full of water, simply tip out the water and the now solid granules, and refill the containers when putting her to bed.
Haven't had mould since using them.

Crunchy
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Clove oil is the go..prevents the mold coming back too, use it around the home as a safer option than bleach plus bleach doesn't have any preventative properties.

northernblue
31-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Nice thread lads,
Where can I obtain this oil of cloves, as my swags are really coping it atm.
I have always had a shed with a ceiling fan and worked on the air movement principal, but alas I no longer have that option.

GB61
31-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Got some today at the chemist $9 for a small bottle . I have to get some mould out of a shower and happen to hear Shannon somebody on the ABC . will give it a go .

PinHead
01-01-2011, 05:04 AM
stick those things like Wazz said in the boat. I had a couple of them in the cabin of a boat that was moored and cabin was locked all the time. never had any problems.

Oil of cloves is good on a toothache also.

northernblue
01-01-2011, 05:16 PM
OK, found it at the chemist.
Sprayed over swags last night, and this morning there is no evidence of mould at all.
Brilliant reciepe.
Thanks all

Alphaone
02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi,
My name is Dom. I currently sanitise flood effected properties against bacterior and mould across qld for insurance companies. We are just about (cross my fingures) 3 weeks away from hitting the market with a specifically designed protection programme and application for boats in the extermination of bacterior and mould spores. The product is organic and completely bio digradable. Fabric safe too! (no bleach, peroxide or other harmful chemicals). The web sight should be ready soon!
Any feedback would be great!

fishfeeder
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Alphaone, If you need someone to test your product then let me know, don't have much mold in the boat but sick of it smelling like a dentists office !!

Cheers
Brett

Alphaone
02-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Cheers Brett,

The product also has an odour neutraliser component to it, so it may be of help to you. All the tests have been carried out. We are just waiting on some final marketing
dom

Gon Fishun
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Hey guys watch out for spills on timber table tops and the like :-?
It has taken all the stain off.

Alphaone
03-11-2011, 08:48 AM
What did that Gon Fishun?

Mrs Ronnie H
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi
great read. Have oil of cloves in cupboard so going to try it on our white canopy, then off to a small patch in the shower to try it. Sounds better than exit mould or bleach and smells a tad better as well.

thanks
Ronnie

Gon Fishun
03-11-2011, 09:34 PM
What did that Gon Fishun?
Had a small bottle of cloves oil on the table, for tooth ache, and it got bumped over. It was sitting on a tissue on soaked through to the table.

Alphaone
12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone. Check out this website... www.alphaoneprotection.com.au (http://www.alphaoneprotection.com.au). You will find this a very interesting read if you have a mould problem. We have designed a programme specifically for the eradication of mould on boats. The only company in Australia to do so. We can also help with any other day to day mould problems. Completely natural! 100% biodegradable. Fabric friendly. You'll never have to clean your boat again!! How good would that be?

Fed
12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Funny this old thread should pop up today but anyway I heard a home handyman guru on the radio this morning & he said bleach won't kill mould which surprised me, the stuff that kills it is white vinegar.

AnthonyL
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi,
My name is Dom. I currently sanitise flood effected properties against bacterior and mould across qld for insurance companies. We are just about (cross my fingures) 3 weeks away from hitting the market with a specifically designed protection programme and application for boats in the extermination of bacterior and mould spores. The product is organic and completely bio digradable. Fabric safe too! (no bleach, peroxide or other harmful chemicals). The web sight should be ready soon!
Any feedback would be great!

Hi Dom.... Let me know when your product is available I would be interested to have a look at it as I am am also in the Flood/Fire Restoration business and I do not use bleach or harmful chemicals for my health and my clients.

Edit - I see your link is there now so will have a look.

Mr__Bean
25-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,

Went out to the shed today and bugger me, mould on the ski boat seats.

I will use the clove oil as a preventative measure, but what is the best to get the mould stain out?

Darren

Mr__Bean
25-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry guys, answered my own question after searching a bit further and reading another thread.

Sprayed a bit of Exit Mould and a wipe 20 seconds later and the stains are gone completely.

Not that the mould has gone, but the stain has gone.

Off to the chemist tomorrow to get some clove oil as next step.

Darren

maru222
26-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Damp rid is "calcium chloride " you can buy it in a 25 kg sack ( roughly $45 ) ,sorry i am not sure where from

Alphaone
21-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Gday guys. Due to popular demand we now have a do it your self kit available check us out at: www.alphaoneprotection.com.au (http://www.alphaoneprotection.com.au) it consists of enough product for 10 x 500ml spray bottles!

Dignity
21-03-2012, 07:08 PM
stick those things like Wazz said in the boat. I had a couple of them in the cabin of a boat that was moored and cabin was locked all the time. never had any problems.

Oil of cloves is good on a toothache also.

I also had a couple in the boat until late one evening I climbed into the boat to get something and knocked the damn thing ove, this goey watery stuff all through the carpetr. A lot more careful where I put it now. Oil of cloves is still the best 1/4 teaspoon to litre of water is as much as you are need and for $9 bucks you can get about 20 bottles of spray.

ovakil
31-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I tried oil of cloves,few drops in 500ml spray bottle.Sprayed on last weekend.Stunk everthing but didn"t remove any mold off my boat.:-?
Was going to try again but the smell has put me off.
Mould round my place must be tuffer :P