PDA

View Full Version : doom and gloom Solitary Island Marine Park

murf
21-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Fishermen's Co-op on the line
Matt Deans | 21st April 2010

THE future of the Coffs Harbour Fishermen’s Co-op is on the line, along with the livelihood of 50 professional fishers and more than 100 local families.

That’s the bleak reality if the State Government bans prawn trawlers fishing in the Solitary Island Marine Park in two year’s time.

“This is a fishermen’s co-operative, you can’t have a seafood business if you don’t have local fishermen,” local prawn trawler Russell Kerr said.

The Coffs seafood industry was yesterday gobsmacked after reading the State Government’s draft changes to the Solitary Island Marine Park management plan.

The Professional Fishermen’s Association went as far to say it’s the death knell of NSW’s wild harvest fishing industry, threatening anyone whose living is connected to the seafood industry.

The impact, it claims, is far reaching from seafood workers, fishmongers, ship wrights, refrigerator mechanics, truck drivers right through to local restaurant owners and staff.

“From a retailer’s point of view, this will decimate our business,” Coffs Co-op’s Shane Geary said.

“These are some of the most productive king prawn fishing grounds off the east coast and the draft plan if adopted would also impact on trap and line fishermen catching kingfish and lobsters.”

At the same time commercial fishermen also face uncertainty over the future fishing of Commonwealth Waters, outside of the Solitary Islands marine park.

The Federal Government is reviewing its marine zones, with its policy open to consultation next year.

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/story/2010/04/21/coffs-harbour-fishermens-co-op-marine-park/

cheers Murf

murf
21-04-2010, 01:14 PM
also from http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/story/2010/04/21/rough-times-on-high-seas-prawn-trawlers/

Prawn trawlers face tough times
21st April 2010

SECOND generation Coffs Harbour prawn trawler Russell Kerr knew change was on the horizon, but he just didn’t think it could cost him his livelihood.

Mr Kerr and Coffs Harbour’s 45 other remaining commercial fishers have stocked the Fishermen’s Co-op with wild harvest seafood since the 1970s.

Returning to port yesterday, they knew trouble was brewing.

Word had got out about the State Government’s draft plan to improve the management of the Solitary Island Marine Park.

So once their early morning king prawn catches were unloaded, trawler fishermen gathered to discuss the changes on the waterfront.

The focus of their talk was an outright ban of prawn trawlers in the Solitary Island Marine Park and possible commercial fishing licence buy backs.

“Why would I want to sell my fishing licence to the government, they’re broke so I’m not holding much hope of that happening,” Mr Kerr said.

Mr Kerr says Coffs Harbour’s fishermen remain hopeful the government will see reason and find a working balance between industry and conservation.

cheers Murf

murf
21-04-2010, 09:43 PM
News

NSW Government Takes Community Advice on Jervis Bay and Solitary Islands Marine Park - The Minister for Climate Change and the Environment, Frank Sartor and the Minister for Primary Industries, Steve Whan today announced the next stage of the zoning plan reviews for Jervis Bay Marine Park and Solitary Islands Marine Park.

WTF which community are they talking too? obviously not the one I live in going by some of their plans???

cheers Murf

murf
06-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Prawn trawler cut affects Sydney
23rd April 2010

John McCutcheon
COFFS Harbour king prawns are in such high demand in Sydney that should the $16 million local seafood industry lose its prawn trawlers, the Sydney Fish Market would suffer what it calls “a devastating loss in profits.”

Grahame Turk, the managing director of the largest fish retail outlet in the Southern Hemisphere, swears by Coffs Harbour’s wild harvest seafood produce.

Mr Turk is equally concerned to hear the draft review could impact on the Coffs Harbour Fishermen’s Cooperative, which sends 60 per cent of its catch to market.

“All I can say is that if the proposal goes through as its stands, commercial fishing on the mid and north coasts would be decimated,” Mr Turk said.

“The Coffs Harbour Co-op here in Sydney is renowned for producing high quality, high value species like snapper and king prawns, so please can the government tell us why are they politicising and threatening a sustainable industry just for votes?

“If we were to lose the Coffs Harbour caught king prawns there would be no substitute, where would we get them?

“Sure there’s no end to Sydney’s demand for them at the moment that’s why we take what we can get but supply is all within reason because it’s all about sustainability,” he said.

Mr Turk said scientific proof that fish stocks were under pressure was flawed based on the seafood industry’s own environmental impact studies.

He said damage to reef systems is more affected by land based activities than commercial fishing.

murf
06-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Fish ban to threaten livelihoods
Matt Deans | 23rd April 2010

The livelihoods of fishers and their families, associated with the Coffs Harbour Co-Op, are a worry.

MARK Espert says he’s never had to worry so much about the mouths he feeds.

Still fishing under the uncertainty of the Solitary Islands Marine Park review, the Sawtell trap and line fisher says it’s not just his own family future that he has at heart.

“I am not just standing here being selfish, saying my livelihood and my family’s at threat,” Mr Espert said.

“I’m speaking out for all the fishing families associated with the Coffs Harbour Co-Op. I want to tell the public that if they want to keep buying fresh locally-caught seafood they better tell the government what they think of this draft plan,” he said.

Mr Espert is one of 46 members stocking the Co-Op with wild harvest seafood. His daily catch comprises snapper, kingfish, teraglin, samsonfish and blue eyed cod.

Like most in the commercial fishing fleet, Mr Espert was rocked this week by the release of the draft review, raising the possibility of more sanctuary zones, fishing licence buy-backs, and an end to prawn trawling off Coffs Harbour in two years time.

“Above all it’s the uncertainty of this week’s announcement that’s hurting local families, they don’t know what the future holds,” Coffs Fishermen Co-Op’s Shane Geary said.

“To be honest, I think politicians in Sydney don’t care about Freddy the fisherman from Sawtell, the lone voice, that’s why we have to fight this as an industry and as a community, and we’ll be showing them just how much produce caught off Coffs actually reaches the Sydney Fish Markets,” he said.

To back the future of commercial fishing here on the Coffs Coast, email Premier Kristina Keneally on premier@nsw.gov.au with your concerns along with John Harrison from the Professional Fishermen’s Association on jharrison@pfai.com.au

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/story/2010/04/23/pro-fishers-concerned-how-they-will-survive/

cheers Murf

Apollo
06-05-2010, 06:47 PM
This really sucks Murf- thanks for the updates

cormorant
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Where is the science behind what is or isn't sustainable catch rate and species??

When will the bald joker actually make a proper decision based on facts so the commercial tourism and recreational fishermen can get on with their lives following the rules backed by science not bullcrap.