PDA

View Full Version : 4hp to South Straddie

HeadBanger
20-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Just a quick question,

A few friends and I planning are camping trip on South Straddie sometime soon. I'm the only one with a boat (a 12ft dinghy with a 4hp motor), will it be enough to get me across?

Cheers,
Kaidon

FNQCairns
20-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Where you doing the cross? just you or will you have someone else in the boat?

Seriously it's entirely do-able but have a contingency plan for the trip back if the weather turns.

HeadBanger
20-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Where you doing the cross? just you or will you have someone else in the boat?

Seriously it's entirely do-able but have a contingency plan for the trip back if the weather turns.

The trip is a LONG way off (most likely next Summer Holidays) but I like to plan ahead and get everything sorted out a long time before. I've had too many experiences with bad planning, and it's not too fun.

I'd be most likely doing the cross from the Runaway Bay broadwater, and going across to Currigee (I think that's what it's called.) It'd be me and at least one other person in the boat, as well as some gear. It'd take a few trips for me to get everyone there with all the tents and stuff.

Thanks,
Kaidon

gr hilly
20-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Kaidon mate to be honest no mate your boat is not really the ideal set up a bigger motor would help 4 hp just wont cut it wind and tide on your side a passing boat on the plain could cause you trouble.pay and tow it over and enjoy a fab trip.
hilly

bugman
20-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Before we had outboards... I'm sure there was quite a few blokes who rowed.... in fact I know one.

Plenty possible on the right day and right conditions with the right planning. Make sure you have the correct safety gear and tell someone - like VMR - what your doing. Mobile phones will work there so ring them as you leave and when you get there etc etc.

Enjoy your holiday.

Brett

HeadBanger
20-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Hmmmm, some mixed opinions here. I'd tell VMR Southport (I think that would be the way to go?) and I have life jackets and everything.

Obviously 'yes, you'll be 100% fine' is the answer I want to hear, but I'm not up for putting myself and, more importantly, others at risk. Can anyone else add any ideas?

Thanks,
Kaidon

banksmister
20-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Before we had outboards... I'm sure there was quite a few blokes who rowed.... in fact I know one.

Was there any big 50ft rivs flying down there at 40 knots then
I take the 10ft tinnie down ther sometimes with a 15hp and it does get hairy

TheRealAndy
20-04-2010, 08:18 PM

I was going to say that!! The weather wouldn't worry me as much as those idiots on the big cruisers.

bugman
20-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Yeah but the eye candy on the back deck can be well worth the risk;D

banksmister
20-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah but the eye candy on the back deck can be well worth the risk;D
You got me thats why i put a 15 on the tinnie

joe 09
20-04-2010, 08:28 PM
mate planning a trip like this in your boat you cant plan too far in advance. i would be waiting until that morning to see what the weather is doing, and you are taking the chance you don't ruined your holidays before you start ,just because you don't wont to tow it.

HeadBanger
20-04-2010, 08:36 PM
mate planning a trip like this in your boat you cant plan too far in advance. i would be waiting until that morning to see what the weather is doing, and you are taking the chance you don't ruined your holidays before you start ,just because you don't wont to tow it.

Mate, it's not about not wanting to tow it, it's more about having more fun getting over there on my own agenda. A friend's brother got over there on a canoe, so I always figured that it wouldn't be too hard. After reading all your opinions though, it is a bit off putting.

Between now and then I will have taken my boat out into the broadwater a few times anyway, just to see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies guys, looking forward to some more opinions.

Cheers,
Kaidon

banksmister
20-04-2010, 08:42 PM
When you get dates worked out give me a yell as I am often down there at one of the clubs
I might be able to give u a hand [not in the tinnie] in the bigger boat

gr hilly
20-04-2010, 09:33 PM
i would rather paddle a canoe than a tiny with a 4HP the other boats like the wake of a charter boat or something even bigger and mate you can't get out and walk i would like to know what you are told from VMR and who you spoke to if you don't mind Kaidon.

cheers hilly

HeadBanger
20-04-2010, 09:51 PM
i would rather paddle a canoe than a tiny with a 4HP the other boats like the wake of a charter boat or something even bigger and mate you can't get out and walk i would like to know what you are told from VMR and who you spoke to if you don't mind Kaidon.

cheers hilly

Sure, no problem, I'll PM you it all when I call them. It'll be a while away though, as nothing is even close to being organised. I'm eager to hear what they say too.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Blackened
21-04-2010, 06:45 AM
G'day

You'll be fine, just be wary of the bigger wakes from cruisers down there and be prepared to bail to remove the water from within.

Have a friend with a second boat if possible to help out carting the stuff over.

IMO to minimise risks, leave no later than first light on a week day, not too many cruisers down there doing the rounds at that time.

Dave

Blackened
21-04-2010, 06:46 AM
G'day

You'll be fine, just be wary of the bigger wakes from cruisers down there and be prepared to bail to remove the water from within.

Have a friend with a second boat if possible to help out carting the stuff over.

IMO to minimise risks, leave no later than first light on a week day, not too many cruisers down there doing the rounds at that time.

Dave

Horse
21-04-2010, 07:33 AM
You should have no issues at all. A few decades ago many club boats fished with old model 6hp motors on 12' tinnys. These guys would fish overnight from the pin to Broadwater and there were few if any incidents. Don't overload and you will be sweet

bennykenny
21-04-2010, 07:51 AM
yeah no need to worry about it ive done it in my 12 punt with a 5hp on it, a few things to think about is dont overload if you have to do a few more trips than expected do it, do it early, less chance of running into big cruisers, dont spent much time in the deep chanels, you can move around eaisly in the shallower water along way from those big boats, plan your shortest trip when ive gone over to curragee ive gone between sovergien and ephrim Is and straight accross look it up on google maps http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.888587,153.410983&spn=0.019269,0.038409&t=h&z=15

timddo
21-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Isn't South Straddie across the seaway. You can probably swim overthere if you wanted to. We constantly have do dodge those swimming pengiuns in the seaway most mornings when offshore fishing. i have a 8 foot boat with a 6hp motor and considering taking it overthere

FTW
21-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi yeah do it all the time, I have a 12' poly with a 4hp behind a houseboat we use often, go early to miss traffic, avoid the main channels and have a bucket to bail with, never had a problem yet though. Did a run across the broadwater in holiday season with the wind and tide against us, could have swam and towed the boat quicker but all was well.

tigermullet
21-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I think the distance from Runaway Bay to Currigee is less than 900 metres so cannot see much of a problem except for boat wakes from Gin Palaces and then only if your boat is overloaded.

SCOTTYGC
21-04-2010, 11:45 AM
use the ramp on centenary drive runaway bay there are two ramps in ths street
go early as early as you can and go straight across from there
a quick run around the south end of crab island and your there

you will only have to cross the two channels and your there

good luck

Jackinthebox
21-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Mate I fished for years in the Broadwater in a 10 foot punt.

Seriously, it is like crossing from one side of the Brisbane river to the other.

Just avoid the busy weekend times and as long as you haven't done something stupid like overloading the boat or trying to cross near the Seaway on a hard runout tide, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

A pic of your boat and the people & gear you are taking would have avoided a lot of the speculation on this post.

Mick.

cobiaman
21-04-2010, 08:37 PM
yea mate, ive been across there in a 12ft tinnie and an electric motor so no worries at all