PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Trailer

balls_deep
20-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I have just put an all aluminium trailer under my boat it has teflon coated skids it is the only all aluminium trailer on the market and the lightest I mean axles suspension every thing. rust has been my worst enemy in the past but this trailer should outlast my boat I am stoked that someone has come up with this new concept of a long lasting little maintainance trailer.

Fatenhappy
20-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey BD ... who manufactured the trailer for you ?

honda900
20-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Can I ask what it cost?

regards
Honda.

scottishguy
20-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Mate, that trailer could almost be described as beautiful! I have had a look at the Rolls Axle website, based in Florida. Is there an Aussie distributor for these?

mull dog
20-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Looks like a beaut bit of kit, both the boat and trailer. ultimate offshore weapon!

balls_deep
20-04-2010, 04:01 PM
My trailer is worth $12,650 it is 3000kg yeh this guy is the distributer here in Australia for rolls axle. This was $1000 cheaper than all the other quotes I got from various other Galvanised trailer manufacturers it really is the ducks nuts of trailers at a great price I was so sick of rusty ugly gal trailers.
Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aluminium-Boat-Trailers-by-TUBESEEK-Trailers_W0QQitemZ170474989002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA U_Trailers?hash=item27b119e5ca

finga
20-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Thankyou for posting pictures of your new trailer.
I had no idea of the rolls axles or the rolls trailers.
Here's their website
http://www.rollsaxle.com/
Makes the Australian product look like crap don't they??

stevej
20-04-2010, 04:49 PM
finga
whats wrong with aussie made tube trailers that rust out in 6 years ?

my dunbiers only 2 years old and has deteriorated afair bit oh and the tyres that burst at 5 months old

Getout
20-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting suspension system. Is it pneumatic?
Did I see steel disc rotors??

balls_deep
20-04-2010, 05:30 PM
No there cadnium coated kodiak can get stainless but there a bit expensive

finga
20-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Interesting suspension system. Is it pneumatic?
Did I see steel disc rotors??
Some more information here
http://www.rollsaxle.com/lifetime_spring.htm
and here
http://www.rollsaxle.com/parts.htm
I'm impressed.

Jarrah Jack
20-04-2010, 07:31 PM
A very impressive trailer which should be making established manufacturers quiver.

As an aside I have an inventor mate who has invented a new suspension system for trailers that is independent. He has patented the thing and been testing it for some time. A manufacturer is interested so we'll see what develops. Just remember folks you first read about it here.:)

MEGA'bite
20-04-2010, 07:42 PM
you can buy a ally trailer in the states to suit a 22ft boat for approx 3k us, why are we getting so ripped off here in Au for australian made and imported trailers, i under stand you pay another 3k us for shipment so someone is making 100% profit bringing these in.

wrxhoon
20-04-2010, 09:15 PM
you can buy a ally trailer in the states to suit a 22ft boat for approx 3k us, why are we getting so ripped off here in Au for australian made and imported trailers, i under stand you pay another 3k us for shipment so someone is making 100% profit bringing these in.

Sure you can , even less but she will NOT comply with ADR , you will need to spend a few $$$$ to make it comply .

cormorant
20-04-2010, 09:45 PM
See them on flea bay . Advertised as tubeseek trailers

Interested to see how the suspension rides and also how well it lasts.

I have some reading to do as know nothing about that suspension. Never a fan of stuff I can't see working and easily inspected when it comes to things that get dipped in salt water

How thick is the alloy RHS and the Ibeams? It must be pretty thick profile if it is to last on Aussie roads with the way we overload our trailers. Still never looks like they isolate the jockey wheel with a bush or the hitch with the same.

Really is some good looking alloy stuff in the states but the prices here in OZ just seem expensive.

Hmmmmm???

haro274
20-04-2010, 10:29 PM
They sure do look nice those trailers, I think maybe better suited to a smaller boat.
I did some searches in the states on other forums on that suspension system, it is all made in house by the rolls company .
I did find one comment that suggested that is was cheaper to buy two brand new torsion axles than to repair one of those systems. I guess time will tell. The only other negative was that the winch post set up tended to work its way loose overtime as the ally holes got bigger with the constant beating the winch post receives.
But they sure look good if that counts for something!

Heath
21-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Only thing that concerns me about this trailer is the winch post setup.
It don't look like it would cope with 1800kg of boat pressing against it as you hit the picks when someone cuts infront of you.

What do the rest of you think?

Stuart
21-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Aint that the truth.

Stu

FNQCairns
21-04-2010, 09:29 AM
If anyone know how good is that type of suspension on a boat trailer?

wrxhoon
21-04-2010, 10:17 AM
It don't look like it would cope with 1800kg of boat pressing against it as you hit the picks when someone cuts infront of you.

That set up looks stronger than normal posts, if you are not happy with it you can always do what I do and brace it on the front as well .
I never had any experience with this trail or suspension set up but I have seen it in Florida , in US they mostly use normal torsion suspension on ally trailers and it works very well.

bigjimg
21-04-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree Heath,looks as if it would not offer any resistance to a sudden stop.Where is the safety chain setup,can't see any in the shot.Not knocking the trailer B-D just some observations,looks good though.Are these some of the design rule non compliance issues?Jim

balls_deep
21-04-2010, 02:56 PM
The winch post has been designed to take the weight of the ATM of the trailer it is extrmely strong how its braced. It is a lot stronger than my old rusted one on my old trailer thats for sure. The suspension has the same travel as leaf or torsion which is around 50ml it rides really smooth and I am really testing it out with my boat weighing near 2400kg it has a safety chain which comes with it it just has to be adjusted to length to suit the tow eye. At the end of the day I wanted a trailer that needed little maintainance wouldn't rust and was light weight to keep tow weight down it only weighs 460kg loads and unloads easily. Price compared to galvanised was the same. Most important won't rust sorry to repeat that but 80% of gal trailers I see at the ramp some that would only be 2 years old are a major safety issue on the roads including my old trailer. This trailer ticked all the boxes I needed. These trailers have withstood the test of time in the states and that was good enough for me.

Nobites
21-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi
I own a 7 metre plate boat which weighs are 2.8 tonnes.
I have to be honest. I considered an aluminium trailer however I do some serious long range trips (Brizzy to Darwin, Brizzy to Mackay etc) and I decided against Aluminium.

I work for an Australian Aluminium Extrusion company and have for 20 years.
I know a bit about Aluminium and I do not think the IBeam is satisfactory for the weight being applied.

Take alook at Duralum trailers. I know these would be more expensive however I think the IBeams they use are more suitable for the weights applied.

If you do small trips here and there you will probably get away with it.

By the way, if you want to protect a steel Galvanised trailer use knockout rust. Its a mixture of Tar, Lanolin ans fish oil. Let it dry for a week then spray paint black then silver. I used a spray gun to shoot up the guts of the RHS.

I have coated the Axles and Springs in this stuff then cover springs with Grease and wrap in Denzo Tape. End of Maintenance.

I replace my bearings every 12 months and make sure there is no surface rust on my Stainless calipers and thats done.

I used all 316 Stainless bolts on my trailer also.

Please just keep an eye on any welds and watch for any splitting on the cross members. Over time all aluminium ages and therefore will become more brittle and less ductile.

I am assuming they used 6082 Alloy T6 Temper for the alloy type?

wrxhoon
21-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Take alook at Duralum trailers. I know these would be more expensive however I think the IBeams they use are more suitable for the weights applied.You will find they use different I beams depending on ATM , they start at 4.5"up to and including 10" , they make boat trailers in USA with 14000 lb ATM !!!

Please just keep an eye on any welds and watch for any splitting on the cross members. Over time all aluminium ages and therefore will become more brittle and less ductile.

USA built ally trailers are NOT welded , all crossmembers are bolted , most brands use S/S bolts and S/S U bolts . Some Aussie built ally trailers are welded and yes they will crack with time.