PDA

View Full Version : Trailer skid or rollers

krazyfisher
19-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I am looking for a new trailer for a 20ft glass boat and unsure which way to go. ally with the skids or a gal with roller. both of these fit the budget.

some people say never to use skids on a glass boat?
other say they would only have skids?

thoughts??? all welcomed

Fatenhappy
19-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Personally (IMO) because glass is always going to weigh more than ali, I would always go for rollers ....

And again for the same reason .... 20' of boat is a fair weight even running empty so set it up with a set of rollers under the centre line of the keel .... the side rollers just guide the boat, the centre rollers will take the weight

To get the idea (and no plug intended) if you have a look at the Mackay or Dunbier web sites, they illustrate this point very well !

I also traditionally used to have a set of rear guide poles on the trailer .... some people reckon you're a bit of a shiela for having them, but see how good they are when your loading in a 10, 15 or 20 knot cross wind, then they realy come into their own.

Sweet, you'll never look back !!

Dicko
19-04-2010, 08:00 PM
It really depends on what suits the ramps you most often use. Skids have bugger all maintenance but you have to back it right in deeper than rollers for both on and off. It could be a bugger on a low tide with a drop at the end of the ramp.

The yanks are crazy over skids, or "bunks" as they call them on big glass boats. Some manufacturers won't even cover hull warranty if it's on rollers.

Yet over here it's mainly rollers on fishing rigs, and skids on ski boats & fat arse wakeboard boats.

That sort of tells me there's no definative right or wrong for your hull. Providing each are set up properly.

My glass US boat & trailer has skids. Initially I had the idea to change it over to rollers, but after living with it now for a while I couldn't be bothered. They work fine.

neil_stessco
19-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I run 14 keel rollers,1 bunk each side around 2ft long, 4 sets of double wobble rollers each side of the trailer at the stern and 1 double wobble roller setup mid ship on my cruisecraft, it's great after i replaced the keel roller pins so they actually turn.

krazyfisher
19-04-2010, 08:39 PM
so which one would you choose
http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!BVR(E3QCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjoEjlLmErDsBKRrL4vu+!~~_35.J PG

or

http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!BlBt)0QBGk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEtkm7F5EPBLZ9-qUp2w~~_35.JPG

just stole the pics from ebay... but shows the two styles that I am looking at.
the 2nd is ally

neil_stessco
19-04-2010, 09:17 PM
How much difference in price?

Alloy would be nice as there nice and light but boats do need to be floated off more with the carpeted bunks.

Flex
19-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Used my skid trailer for the first time on Sunday.

Worked fine, but boy you have to back the trailer down a fair way.Wheels of the car were just in the water at Bribie marina.
You basically have to cradle the boat on and off it, cause there is bugger all slide.

So all depends on what ramp you use i suppose.

But rollers get expensive really fast.

Im not sure what would support your boat better, rollers or skids? Im not a glass boat expert

White Pointer
19-04-2010, 09:22 PM
G'day,

A golden rule:

Skids under plate boats and tinnies

Rollers under F'glass boats and lots of them

There are no exceptions to this rule.

Regards,

White Pointer

Flex
19-04-2010, 09:26 PM
G'day,

A golden rule:

Rollers under F'glass boats and lots of them

Regards,

White Pointer

USA, glass capital of the world runs almost exclusively skids?

Dicko
19-04-2010, 09:32 PM
G'day,

Who made that "rule" ?

Spaniard_King
19-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Skids.. no problem on Glass Boats.. unless its a cheap glass boat :)

bigjimg
19-04-2010, 09:51 PM
My boat rollers on Dunbier trailer,my Bro inlaw 6.1m Malibu on bunk Easy Tow trailer same ramp both in same depth of water both launch easy as.Shallow ramp pitch of approx 6_7 deg.I would go the bunk trailer better weight distribution no hot spots and easy to set up,less maintanence.Saw a Signature like mine on one of those Easy Tow's and looked the goods,at a yard in Victoria on the net.I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on the type of trailer you put under a Glass or Tin boat as long as it works for the owner.Jim

Fatenhappy
19-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi Krazyfisher ... I notice no centre rollers on either of the pickies you have there ... also what weight is your boat?

What I was on about re the centre rollers is as follows .... every one to there own but these centainly make life easy ......

Same thing can also be set up with side skids instead of rollers ... your choice and good luck which ever way you go ....

wrxhoon
19-04-2010, 11:10 PM
No problem with either on a glass boat , glass boats are very thick and very strong underneath so rollers will not bent the hull , they will on pressed ally boats and to a lesser extend ally plate boats , thats the main reason you see them with skids.
I can tell you from experience with boat types , bunk ytailers will tow much better because you don't have the sway of the wobblies but roller trailers are much easier to launch . As far as retrieving I find the bunk trailer easier to drive on because the 2 bunks guide the boat on the trailer and I find the engine has the power going forward to drive up to it .When launching you have to back the car further because the prop doesn't bite in reverse .
When I launch mine I back it and slam the brakes a couple of times until she comes off , then drive off. Never a problem driving it on and the wheels of the LC200 never touch the water .
I have used a special spay on my bunk carpet to make is slippery .
I prefer ally trailer ( I use one made in USA) , its a little lighter (10-15%) and it won't rust but make sure all the fasteners are S/S and they don't contact with the alloy.

deckie
19-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Prefer rollers on my glass but totally understand why some would prefer skids. Dont think it matters much. Similar maintenance and performance.
I use a mix of keel rollers with a 60/40 weight distribution with wobble rollers only at rear and side wobbles middle and front. Like the ease they slide up or off on keel rollers and guided on and off by the wobbles which only take minor weight at rest except at the rear.

krazyfisher
20-04-2010, 05:58 AM
my boat would weight maybe...1600kg-1700kg maybe.

i like the trailers without the keel rollers as I have found that the boat centers better without them..just me maybe.

both these trailers are around the $6k mark from $5500-6600 I can get dunbier, belcon, redco,tinka or peterson(alley).

I will be buying 1 soon and I am trying to work out which way

rollers(steel)
good..... rollers....normal
bad....rust....more maintenance(rollers)....heavy

Bunk(ally)
good...light...less maitenance...lasts longer
bad... bunks/skids....

Chimo
20-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi K F

IMHO you would be better off ensuring that the trailer has lots and lots of rollers and as you said not keel rollers except at the rear of the trailer to start the boat on eg as on the Tinka. This will allow you to launch and retrieve without drowning your new expensive trailer.

Of major benefit to you will be a good quality electric winch eg 912 or similar. Again the rollers will allow the boat to roll off easily, as you would have seen on other threads, you have to control the boat to get the winch hook undone as the boat rolls off. Some people are prepared to just unclip and let the boat roll, personally I dont see that as total control so I use an absailing 8 to be able to check the speed that the boat enters the water after the safety chain and winch hook are released.

Although you have not mentioned it, the quality of the brakes would be be worth considering too. Is your estimated 1700kg fueled and loaded and are you sure your not over the magic 2000kg? Insurance is a massive waste of your money if they get to wipe you if the details ie weight and therefore brakes are not as they should be. The risk of loss due to damage to your car, your boat and perhaps some other car could make a real hole in your holiday plans especially if you have to carry the full cost?

Rollers do help you avoid the need to drown and so are much kinder to your brakes and bearings.

Ah boating such simple choices, but there is one constant; BOAT, bring out another thousand!

Cheers
Chimo

krazyfisher
20-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I think....hope .... maybe under 2000kg....Maybe
hull 1000kg
eng.. 300kg
fuel 200l
hard top
duck board

ally would help keep it under 2000k

if I could just get an ally trailer that is fully rollered for the same price....

timddo
20-04-2010, 09:31 AM
What about this aluminium trailer

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aluminium-Boat-trailers_W0QQitemZ250615718149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA U_Boat_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a59dc6105

I have skids on my boat and it's a pain to get off on shallow ramps- not that i use any shallow ones. ( my keel rollers are naggered too.)

krazyfisher
20-04-2010, 11:51 AM
timddo

thats one of the ones that I am looking at.

thanks

pilchardjones
20-04-2010, 12:31 PM
krazy,
i have an ally petersen bunk trailer. its the best trailer i have ever had. its under a 7m glass US boat.
i screwed plastic strips over the top of the carpet to make it slide easier, and now it slides off so easy (because of my ramp angle it was difficult at first - now its not a problem).
drive on / off very simple. the whole thing is so simple and maintenance free.
all bolted construction (not welded) so no cracking.
i am a happy customer - after using one of these bunk trailers i don't think i would have another roller trailer.
i have actually just ordered a new petersen ally bunk trailer for my little glass 445 haines also so i must be a fan.
steve
ps the little one in the photo is actually for a jet ski but my one for the haines 445 will be similar.

balls_deep
20-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I am looking for a new trailer for a 20ft glass boat and unsure which way to go. ally with the skids or a gal with roller. both of these fit the budget.

some people say never to use skids on a glass boat?
other say they would only have skids?

thoughts??? all welcomed

I have just put one of these trailers under my boat everything is aluminium and stainless with a patented all aluminium suspension this trailer should outlast my boat it looks flash to this is the best and easiest to load and unload trailer I have ever used.

balls_deep
20-04-2010, 01:19 PM
my boat would weight maybe...1600kg-1700kg maybe.

i like the trailers without the keel rollers as I have found that the boat centers better without them..just me maybe.

both these trailers are around the $6k mark from $5500-6600 I can get dunbier, belcon, redco,tinka or peterson(alley).

I will be buying 1 soon and I am trying to work out which way

rollers(steel)
good..... rollers....normal
bad....rust....more maintenance(rollers)....heavy

Bunk(ally)
good...light...less maitenance...lasts longer
bad... bunks/skids....

Here is my boat on the trailer its 7.5m and weighs 2400kg the trailer only weighs 450kg

krazyfisher
20-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Priced most of the ally ones today and delivered the peterson was the cheapest at $8000 than up from there. Belco and tinka are looking good so far at around $6600-6800. These are 1999kg traliers.
I like the ally but $1400 and no rollers...... I think I would rather save money and have the rollers.
still thinking

Dean1
20-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Skids all day I say, no maintenance at all. 9 out of 10 cats are running skids and 9 out of ten cats are fibreglass.

Thats my opinion anyway 8-)

krazyfisher
21-04-2010, 05:55 PM
well ended up with a tinka gal trailier with heaps of rollers.
the reason........ I just prefer rollers on a glass boat, should go on and off easier etc, just not sold on the idea of ally and of course price....

Chimo
21-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Did you weigh the boat?

Chimo

PS Which one ? 190 or 200

http://www.mayfairmarine2000.com/Tinka.htm#180

krazyfisher
21-04-2010, 07:17 PM
MT200

no I did not weight the boat. Rumor has it that they come under 2000kg.

it is a direct replacement for the trailer that I have and the only difference between 1990kg and 3200kg is the breaks so I can upgrade if needed.

Chimo
21-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds familiar, I went from a 1990 to the upspec after the hydrastar elec set up got plugged in to the hydraulics and the hitch was changed.

Already had the 14 " wheels and rims so was good although they were still crappy bubbling tread separing ones..

Might pay to check out the tyres on the trailer before you take delivery of the trailer and consider up-specing the standard 13" tyres to a better quality non tread separating alternative IMHO.

Cheers
Chimo

gofishin
22-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Too bad I have come in late KF, I would have liked to try and change your mind ;D;D
my boat would weight maybe...1600kg-1700kg ...
...no I did not weight the boat. Rumor has it that they come under 2000kg...You are a brave man KF. I would guess your boat weight estimate is about right. 1700kg plus 600kg+ (for a HDG multi roller) = 2300kg+. I think Chimo's advice is very wise re up-specing wheels/axle for future ATM upgrade, as I think you'll find you will be well over your 2t ATM.

krazy,
i have an ally petersen bunk trailer....Steve, are they actually made by Rocket International (stamped on data plate)? They look very similar.
cheers

krazyfisher
22-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I have ordered it so all I need to do is add hitch, break set up etc. the wheels tyres axles etc are the same as the 3200kg model only the breaks are different. thinking about it I added some stuff to the order today I might just upgrade it and be done with it.

thanks all for the help.........

White Pointer
22-04-2010, 09:10 PM
G'day,

I'll repeat the rule:

Rollers under glass boats - and lots of them.

This is why:

Plate boats and tinnies have a skeletal structure that holds the whole thing together. The hull and sides add to the structure but are pretty rigid and not meant to flex. Rollers work like panel beaters dollys on these hulls. That's because trailers are not rigid so the rollers panel beat the hull. That's not good for hull efficiency and on lighter tinnies can result in cracking. So plate boats and tinnies belong on skids because the weight can be evenly distributed over the skeletal frame.

Glass boats have a finish that acts as a sealer but is vulnerable to damage from abrasion and strikes. That's why glass boats should not be beached. Skids under a glass boat grind the salt on the hull and damage the gelcoat, wearing it away. These boats are better on rollers because, with trailer flex, they allow a bit of movement. Like plate boats and tinnies, the hull has to be supported so use lots of rollers.

Now, somebody asked why it is a rule. It is a rule because reputable boat builders follow it as do reputable trailer manufacturers. That doesn't mean all boat dealers do because their desire to package the cheapest deal or clear stock or earn the highest commission may be paramount. But for the buyer, the wrong trailer is a short term is false economy.

Regards,

White Pointer

haro274
22-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow whitepointer, those millions of usa boat buyers that have their fibreglass boats on skid/bunk trailers are going to be devastated if this gets out!
Those dumb yanks they musnt know a thing.;D

pilchardjones
23-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow whitepointer, those millions of usa boat buyers that have their fibreglass boats on skid/bunk trailers are going to be devastated if this gets out!
Those dumb yanks they musnt know a thing.;D
exactly - millions of case studies exist

White Pointer
23-04-2010, 10:32 PM
exactly - millions of case studies exist

G'day,

I don't know if there are millions of case studies but I do know that Australia is probably at the forefront of plate boat and tinnie manufacture in the world. So have learned what works for these.

We also know that setting up 18 to 24 quality rollers under a large glass boat is much more expensive in labour and materials than setting up a couple of skids.

So it is likely that the last consideration in sales in America is the same as here - the trailer done as cheaply as possible.

I have looked around some really big reputable dealers in Brisbane and have found that glass hulls are on rollers. The exception seems to be huge boats (i.e. Rinkers and the like) that are not trailerable day to day. These dealers don't stake their reputation and the hulls they sell on a cheap deal.

White Pointer

pilchardjones
25-04-2010, 06:48 AM
point taken.
i am comfortable with my glass boat on skids.
steve

haro274
25-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Some manafactures in the States wont warranty their hull unless they are on a skid trailer, Boston whaler being one. I dont think it is a cost factor why they use bunks. From what I have been told they been through the multi roller thing and went back to bunks.
I dont think their is anything wrong with keeping things simple if it works. Both systems work equally well, so I would say each to his own:smiley:

arfaname
10-06-2010, 10:14 PM
geez I had best be careful my fiberglas boat doesn't get all "flexible" on my new skid trailer or it may slip through the hole in the middle. Clearly white pointer you have never seen the sub structure in a fiberglass boat.

Think of it this way.

On a full blown roller trailer you run approx 36 single rollers
Each roller supports at absolute best 100mm2.
So in total we have 36cm2 supporting lets say 2 tonne.

On a basic skid/bunk only trailer you have only 2 skids with a 50mm x 2000mm surface area each.
Thats 10002 cm x 2 = 2000cm2 of support for my hull.

cut that in half or cut in it quarters

I know which I prefer... ;)