PDA

View Full Version : Power or low hours?

LoungeLizard
19-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Guys,

I would like to get your thoughts on this: I'm looking at two boats, same make and year, similar options, price very similar. Both are well looked after/serviced.

Main difference is one has a Suzuki 175HP with 250hrs and the other a Honda 150HP with 50hrs. Hull is rated maximum 225HP. Which one would you choose?

geoffmck
19-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Knowing the brand/model would make it easier to decide. Some hulls plane eaiser than others. Also what do you plan to use it for? Long range trips in open ocean or water sports?
If the hull is rated to a maximum of 175hp then the 150hp should be fine. If 175hp is recomended but it has a higher "maiximum" than the 150hp might struggle.

Generally you should go for the maiximum but there are other factors to consider.

bassfan
19-04-2010, 01:01 PM
All other things being equal I would go for the Honda powered vessel without a doubt. Both motors have a good name but the Hondas are truly superb motors, and I doubt you would notice 25hp less when on the water.
That's my 2 cents anyway...

Noelm
19-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I reckon I would just look for the best deal, either of those motors will serve you well for many years to come, are they both the same age?

Spaniard_King
19-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Do both engines have the same warranty remaining ??

How far is your closest oem dealer

LoungeLizard
19-04-2010, 04:13 PM
To answer a few questions:

Hull is a Seafarer 6.0, from memory the recommended (sorry, not max rated as mentioned before) HP is 175. The boat will be an all-rounder, not so much for water sport so the 150 will do - I've been out on one with a 150 before and it was OK with 4 people on.

Both motors are 2007 and have 5 year warranty so no worries there. Not sure about OEM dealers (is this different?), but according to the websites there are dealers for both locally.

Chimo
19-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi LL

If its a Victory ie 6m Seafarer then 225 is the max HP see below.

Cheers
Chimo

Click Here to Download Brochure (http://www.thehainesgroup.com/new/_inc/doc_download.aspx?siteid=6&did=61)
SPECIFICATIONS

Centre-Line Length: 6.0m
Maximum Beam: 2.4m
Weight: 1100KG Approx.
Dead-Rise: 21º
Power: 140HP to 225HP
Max Engine Weight: 270Kg
Transom Height: 25”
Load Capacity: Seven Adults
Length Overall on Trailer Including Engine: 7.25m
Overall Height on Trailer: 2.35m
Width On Trailer: 2.4m

siegfried
19-04-2010, 04:23 PM
If both are in good repair in regard to servicing etc those hours are low on both ,me -the suzuki every time & the extra hp is always good, I would consider 150 as minumum on that boat especially when all full of gear and people. mORE HP= LESS LOAD BETTER FUELec maybe longer life;D

Pazz01
19-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd go the bigger hp size for sure - 250 hours is nothing. They should be good for 1000 hours. Much better to have it running at lower revs, going to use less fuel and will go quicker (provided prop is right). I like suzuki too, they look good and everyone I know hasn't had any problems.

I know nothing about honda, but I reckon it would be ok too.

My 2 cents worth.

Pazz

Jarrah Jack
19-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I do a lot of fishing in a HH 585r which would be pretty close to the weight and dynamics of the CC. The boat has a 150 Honda and to be honest is underpowered to me. I would go the 175 which is a supurb motor. I'm not good at maths but the 175 has nearly 20% more power. What sort of loads do you expect to be carrying?

Can you take them both for a run with a few heavy mates to see what you think whilst paying for the fuel and explaining the dilemma to both owners?

odes20
19-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I have the Suzy 175 on a 6metre Yalta Odessa and it is just a fabulous motor returning excellent eco and the extra grunt just gives the rig longer legs on those long reef runs when the weather is good.
John

LoungeLizard
19-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks all.

Yeah, as mentioned the max power for the Victory hull is 225HP but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that 175HP is the sweet spot.

Having said that I fished a few times out of one with a 150HP Yamaha and it's never felt underpowered to me. It wasn't ever loaded to the max though - four medium blokes and usual fishing gear..

Can anyone tell me how the two motors stack up in terms of long term running costs? Also, when are the major (i.e. expensive) services? I'm just thinkin that the suzuki might be due for a big one.

mull dog
19-04-2010, 06:55 PM
something for you to consider, the honda gets very close to the advertised HP whereas the zuk might be closer to 10% less than advertised. personally that would leave me with the honda. i can stand to be corrected or verified by thats my understanding

siegfried
19-04-2010, 07:12 PM
something for you to consider, the honda gets very close to the advertised HP whereas the zuk might be closer to 10% less than advertised. personally that would leave me with the honda. i can stand to be corrected or verified by thats my understandingSounds like a red arsed yarn to me

twist
19-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I would rather be driving an Accord than a Grand Vitara! Go the low hours and the better brand. Go the Honda.

Fatenhappy
19-04-2010, 08:25 PM
If the only real difference seems to be engines ....

I'm, guessing by the size of the engines that the boats are about 5 1/2 to 6 metres in length.

Having personally owned a 150 Honda I could do nothing less than give it a huge tick in the box ... they are in fact the same 2.4 Ltr engine thats in the Honda Euro. Had one of those as well and again, never missed a beat.

Ask it to do whatever .... and it would every time .... and would do it exactly and better than expected ... fuel was fantastic, noise was negligible and would troll all day long ...

I suppose you could have a look at the power curves etc for both motors if push comes to shove which would be readily available on their web sites .... lastly, how often is the 25 Horses going to make that much difference unless your the kind of fella that goes everywhere WOT ... (no offence intended)

What else would you want!

White Pointer
19-04-2010, 09:36 PM
To answer a few questions:

Hull is a Seafarer 6.0, from memory the recommended (sorry, not max rated as mentioned before) HP is 175. The boat will be an all-rounder, not so much for water sport so the 150 will do - I've been out on one with a 150 before and it was OK with 4 people on.

Both motors are 2007 and have 5 year warranty so no worries there. Not sure about OEM dealers (is this different?), but according to the websites there are dealers for both locally.

G'day,

Thanks for the correction. I was wondering what the hell 150 and 175 was doing on a hull rated at 225.

The Suzuki 175 is what I have on my 6M plate boat and it is ideal. The hours on the Suzuki VS the Honda is insignificant provided they have been serviced and run on clean fuel.

I suggest you test drive both and look at relative hole shot. This is the power that gets you out of trouble in a sea. Also look at engine revs at (say) a constant 22kn. This will give you a guide to fuel consumption and range. My guess is that the Suzuki will prove a bit more economical.

I suggest that the engines may be pretty much equal and the decision comes down to boat inclusions, hull and trailer conditio and your bargaining power.

Regards,

White Pointer

odes20
19-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Wheres all this Honda Kingship comin from?
True Honda brought out the first range of 4 strokes but wow no one can deny that Yamaha and Suzy 4 strokes are amazing donks. Anyone who ever talked down a Suzy 175 better be sure they have tested one because they are ann awesome donk. When I first bought mine all the gainsayers were predicting slow holeshots (like the early honda 4 strokes LOL) slow acceleration and such other chatter, but their first run with me had them gob smacked.

Im sure the honda is a great donk, but in this application it won;t hold a candle to the Suzy, and I have now done 650 hours on mine and no dramas,

Cheers
John

Jarrah Jack
19-04-2010, 10:22 PM
LL

Can you get a trial in both rigs to get some definitive answers on the abilities of both setups ? Its probably the only way you won't be left wondering.

Cheers

Fatenhappy
20-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey John ....

"Wheres all this Honda Kingship comin from?"

Reliabilty good performance etc etc ....

On the down side vs the Suzi .... Suzis are way better priced and dare I say it almost as good these days .... so totally agree, with you particularly if you are on a tighter budget !!

jake0
20-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda all the way, the zooks are not as good as everyone thinks they are and you will have better resale latter on when you sell it

siegfried
20-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda all the way, the zooks are not as good as everyone thinks they are and you will have better resale latter on when you sell it
Why are they not as good as" everyone thinks they are". If you are gunna make statements like that substantiate them otherwise its just another bullshit yarn. No offence intended. Same boats one with 150 ,one with 175 ..no brainer in this instace all other things being equal.

LoungeLizard
20-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Guys,

I don't want this to turn into a x vs y shitfight. From all accounts both the Suzuki and the Honda is a great motor that's very reliable and economical ... hence my dilemma

My main question is would you take more power, or lower hours? Now, it's true that 250hrs is not a lot for the Suzuki, however for me the 200hrs difference is about 2 years worth of boating which is quite significant. Testing both boats will be difficult as one is a fair distance inland - it can be done but only if I'm really serious about buying.

Noelm
20-04-2010, 08:25 AM
after all this to and fro, I guess the only way to decide which one to buy would be to get a sheet of paper and do a "walk around" of each boat, scoring on things like scratches and shine, upholstery, accessories, trailer construction and condition, then go for a test ride in each and do the same thing for the motors, either motor will go for years (but they are second hand) do as Spaniard King suggested and look for the best dealer near you that sells/services those two brands, and score that as well, the extra 25HP would be nice, how nice is anyones guess, but at least you have a chance to test them both, unlike if you were buying new, then it would only be a guess.

Spaniard_King
20-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Proof will be in the pudding!!

No good hearing this and that about engines and boats. The best engine in the world wont be worthy a cracker if it's not set up correctly.

Insist on a water test for both and go with your gut feeling. I would discard most of the opinionated owners thoughts in this post.

PADDLES
20-04-2010, 11:31 AM
i'm not an opinionated owner, go for the most power loungelizard. this is a good heavy offshore boat and by the time you load it up you'll be thankful for the extra neddies. even though the extra 25hp up top will rarely be used, the extra 500cc in the suzuki should give a bit more torque.

disregard all the krap people go on with about accords and vitaras, that's said by people who think with their hearts and don't use their brains. engineering wise both honda and suzuki are superb engine manufacturers and either motor will serve you well.

like spaniardking has said earlier, are you in a location where accessing a licensed service agent could be a problem, if so go for the make you can get the best service for.

don't worry too much about the hours, personally i'd rather a rig that gets used all the time because the owners are less likely to tolerate something being wrong with it (ie. there might be less issues with the motor and it has sat around doing nothing a lot less).

look at the service history and also get the motor inspected by someone of your choice and maybe the ecu interrogated for any history/issues. check for corrosion and general condition, when were the anodes last replaced? who serviced it etc.?

if all things are good and equal, go for the power every time, one day you might need it.

trueblue
20-04-2010, 11:36 AM
power power