PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Overhead Jigging Reel

devocean
18-04-2010, 07:17 PM
With the Spaniards only a month away I am after a high speed overhead reel to speed retrieve bumper bars through the water column. I am finally retiring my Shimano Speedmaster (great reel) after many years of punsihment.

I don't mind the look of the Torium 20. Most of the spaniards I catch are between 15 and 30kg with the odd bigger fish.

Any reports on the Torium or something else around the same price

Horse
18-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I use a Torium 16 with around 400m of 65lb Whiplash on it. It has handled everything thrown at it so far but nothing in the 30kg category. It is light, powerfull and has a smooth drag. The biggest issue is that the drag increases greatly with only small adjustment of the knob. Its still smooth but you have to be carefull.
I thinki the 16 sits better on a light jig style rod compared to the wider 20

diabolical
19-04-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with horse, go with the 16 if you run braid. The 20 will hold 300m of 15kg low diameter mono. Upgrade the drag with greased carbontex if or when you feel it needs it.

jaredluke
19-04-2010, 11:34 AM
have you considered the daiwa saltist LD, or normal one? Very good reel.

nougs
19-04-2010, 02:11 PM
my torium didnt hold up well. Rough as guts after only a few good fish
Got a trinidad 16n now and its running flawlessly

Daintreeboy
19-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes a Trinidad or the top of the range a Torsa 16 or 16N!!
C'mon Devocean, you just bought a stella, go the Torsa!! Or of course a Saltiga!!!

devocean
19-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Good call Daintree Boy.... though I don't enjoy jigging up a Spanish as much as catching barra- they are a good distraction for a couple of months though. But you are right you get what you pay for. I bet none will be as good be as the old Speedmaster after this many years

devocean
19-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Just had a look online- can't stand gold reels they are way to flash for my four metre tinny!!!!! Plus the missus will know they are worth plenty of $$$ can't blow my cover

Daintreeboy
19-04-2010, 08:51 PM
he he. You should have got the 5000 SW stella and been able to do both jobs with one reel lol!. Looks like it'll have to be a Saltiga overhead now. Go the 30T if you are going to go that way. Not sure if it's as high a speed as you want though.

Daintreeboy
19-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe a Talica? Don't know much about them though.

perko
20-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Do you think overheads are the go over threadlines? What sort of retrieve speed do you need as a minimum? I am looking for something for high speed jigging as well.

reggy
20-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Good call Daintree Boy.... though I don't enjoy jigging up a Spanish as much as catching barra- they are a good distraction for a couple of months though. But you are right you get what you pay for. I bet none will be as good be as the old Speedmaster after this many years
I`ll second that! In my opinion, the Speedmaster has stronger gears (hardened stainless) and a stronger anti reverse mechanism than the Torium, Saltist, Saltiga or Trinidad. and a corrosion proof frame!

devocean
20-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Good call Reggy sometimes old technology works better then the new stuff.

Perko- I like my threadlines for casting and retrieving jigs across the top but definetly prefer an overhead for top to bottom high speed jigging as they are easier to use over long periods of time. There are probably heaps of good reels just make sure you get one with a fast gear ratio - its all about speed

reggy
20-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I`ll second that! The Speedmaster has stronger gears (stainless) and a stronger anti reverse mechanism than the Torium, Saltist or Trinidad. and a corrosion proof frame!
Having said that, I have used my Torium 20 for this kind of work with 50lb braid, BUT, I have put a Cal`s top plate in the drag as well as carbontex washers and have modified the anti reverse by adding a spring.

devocean
20-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Love your work Reggy, I am considering sending my reel straight to you for some beefing up! This is the kind of stuff I want to read about and see on tv in a fishing show in a reel tackle segment

reggy
21-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Actually, you can do the dog spring yourself by ordering the parts (spring and pawl) for a Trinidad dc.
I posted my modification on "Bloodydecks". If you want to have a look , just search "the torium that clicks" on Bloodydecks.
cheers
Reggy (Basto on Bloodydecks)