PDA

View Full Version : transducer

PinHead
18-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Time to pimp the yak..I have bought a sounder..can the standard transducer be used to shoot through the hull of the yak???

davez104
18-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, most transducers should work like that. You just need to make sure there is no air between the face of the transducer and the water otherwise you will get interference. You can build a sealed box for it and fill it with oil, not sure what type is generally used though. I had mine firing through the bottom of my tinnie for quite a while, just used silicone on the hull and set the transducer into it at the right angle, just be careful with the air bubbles.

I think there can be some issue with transducers overheating when run in air too, not sure how they go long term mounted in silicone, might just be something to look into.

Fitzy
18-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey Greg,

Yep, can glue them in. But don't use silicone, specifically don't use any that are an acid cure. If it smells like vinegar, don't use it. It will eat into the transducer. Plus most normal silicones won't hold for long.

Use a neutral cure like Fixtech or Sikaflex, i use the former as it specs up a bit better than sika.

Give the inside of your very quick yak a wipedown with a cleaner & then give it a little scuff with sand paper to give the fixtech something to grab.

Got some pics of how I mounted one of in my Venus11 http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,1546.0.html

Cheers,

fitz..

PinHead
19-04-2010, 02:13 AM
thanks for that..I will do that thanks Fitzy..should be ready for the convention..LOL