PDA

View Full Version : can you flood engine on take off?

Razgo-
17-04-2010, 07:44 PM
This morning went to put fuel in my boat at rivergate marina but when i took off i gave it a hard throttle then backed off straight away to avoid bumping into the other boats because of the strong current. I am berthed there.

But then it konked out as i floated aimlessly up river trying to restart her.

eventually got it back to the fuel pumps and only at idel running rough then after i fueled up it was perhpas 15 mins later it started and went fine.

It sounded like it backfired too when i tried to restart it. 115HP Optimax.

So i am thinking i actually flooded it when i throttled up quickly and then backed off? this can happen?

russ

PADDLES
17-04-2010, 07:48 PM
i wouldn't have thought this would happen with an injected motor like an opti, but with a carby, yes. open throttle and then chopped throttle can fuel things up, and the effects would seem worse when the motor was cold.

FNQCairns
17-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Engines out of tune or cold even can do a stall on chopping throttle, don't see why an injected 2 wouldn't.

I would call it gremlins over just one instance if it does it again best to investigate.

I too think you ended up flooding it, best way to clear a flooded engine is with full throttle while turning over, will the opti even allow that and would it even relate to a butterfly fully open given the throttle termination is probably nothing more than a sensor.

i don't want to know about these new fangled engines all the simple tricks/fixes are becoming dead ends.

Razgo-
17-04-2010, 08:01 PM
hmmmm.... it was warm too because it was sitting there idling for about 5-10mins as i was on the phone before i took off. so yeah it was weird.

i would have thought sensor too but when i heard it backfire i thought WTF? it wasnt a loud bang backfire, but more of a snuff/compression type sound.

FNQCairns
17-04-2010, 08:06 PM
hmmmm.... it was warm too because it was sitting there idling for about 5-10mins as i was on the phone before i took off. so yeah it was weird.

Sounds like mildly oiled plugs, if you gave it a gentle rev to say 1.5-2k before selecting gear and gunning it the stall might not have taken place...just a guess but fits a 2 stroke to a T even the new ones with their 150:1 or whatever at idle.

Razgo-
17-04-2010, 08:12 PM
It's a 2004 model and no i can't raise the revs before dropping into gear. I have to push a button in to rev in neutral.

When i gave it a boot full it was fine at that stage. it was basically when i backed off straight away.

so i was already in gear and underway say around the 1200RPM but then hit hard throttle and all ok then too but then backed off straight away and then forward again to about 1200rpm and then thats the point it konked out.

does that make more sense?

had lots of trouble restarting and even when it did restart it was rough as guts and couldn't get past idle much before konking out several times again.

FNQCairns
17-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok i definitely call it for a gremlin then, time will tell. To my mind anyway without knowing it's history either is to get a precautionary tuneup/service or wait it out, may never happen again.

Sounds like you befuddled its tiny brain there for a little while.

Razgo-
17-04-2010, 08:54 PM
i hope to head out for a run early in the morning so i will find out i guess. the most recent issues has been water in fuel which i "think" is all cleared now.

i am getting near the 300hr mark by my calculations(log book) so plugs will definatly be due too.

i didnt go out this morning because they said it was going to rain. dry as a bone all day!

russ