PDA

View Full Version : Seaj Jay or Blue Fin

BoulldogsBoy
17-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Hello Folks, I am looking at a new boat purchase and would like some feedback on Sea Jay and Blue Fin Boats.

The two boats I am considering are a Sea Jay 4.2m Runnabout with a 40HP Yamaha 4 stroke and a Blue Fin 4.2 Discovery with a 40HP Mercury 4 stroke. The Sea Jay has 2mm bottom and 1.6mm sides while the Blue Fin is 3mm bottom and 1.6mm sides. There is also an option for a Blue Fin with 3mm plate sides.

Can anyone offer feedback on either or both of these makes, in particular on ride/comfort and build quality, in particular things like weld quality, finish etc.

I have noted some posts about floor issues in Blue Fins.

Second part

Thanks to those that have offered comments. On further investigation I have spoken in depth with one dealer and less so to another about my needs and hulls. It is interesting when you actually get to look at the designs and plate thickness. It also tells you just how easy it is to draw conclusions purely on face value and possibly not make the best decision for one's own needs.

An example would be say the deck welds on a Sea Jay being fully welded and on a Blue Fin stitch welded. An issue that I had not considered yet pointed out to me that at times while the build is solid enough the sheets where not welded sometimes hum with vibration.

Just more things to consider.
Thanks.

Final Part

Well I made a decision to go a bit bigger and grabbed a great deal on a Sea Jay Classic 4.55m Runabout with a 50HP Yammy 4 Stroke on the back. Now to await delivery and learn all about using this pride and joy.

bigjimg
17-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I had a 4.2m Bluefin with the side decks had a bow sprit and rear step added as well.Great little boat handled what ever was thrown at it.I put my full floor in and had a professional welder do the cross members that i had cut myself out of 3mm box section,it was bullet proof.My floor was never going to rot had three coats of Evadure and then enamel over the top with carpet glued on.One thing that was done before the crossmembers went in was the ribbing was thumped down with a deadblow against the bottom sheet then the crossmembers welded in,made it solid.Had a look at the SeaJay's at the time but the price of the BlueFin and the side decks and 3mm bottom and the extras still was under the price of the SeaJay.Happy shopping.Jim

geoffmck
17-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I have assumed that you have considered Brooker and crossed them off your list for some reason?

I bought a 4.1 Safari with 3mm bottom and 2mm sides.

Run a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

Good solid tinny.

My personal preference would be for the Yamaha over the Merc.

nigelr
17-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Of the two you have nominated, the Bluefin. 3mm bottom is good. 3mm sides as well is better......I'm assuming that you will be using it inshore in the right conditions, and as such the extra strength/weight/rigidity would be desirable......

bugman
17-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Without hijacking anything.... I'm another for a Brooker. I have one and they certainly fit into the comparisons you're looking at.

Brett

dogsbody
17-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I've got a BF 4.2. Had it since 2004 and had no issues with it, no vibrations and been in some less than favourable conditions coming back into the river and didn't feel like it was out of it's depth and yes i was wet.

If your going to be out in the bay, get a long shaft transom. Some of these short shaft transoms on some boats are a bit to close to the water for my liking.

I also run some sikaflex inbetween the stitch welds just to keep some of the fish juices out of the boat.

Dave

spelchek
17-04-2010, 10:31 PM
HI BoulldogsBoy (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=88450): 4.4 sea jay (side console) here. FYI, I had sea jay put 3mm a 3mm bottom on. Can't remember the cost - but was only ~ couple hundred dollars. I've had it since December and love it. 40hp yammie 4strk - I added an SE sports hydrofoil which put the icing on the cake.

I'm happy to answere any questions you may have. Where are you situated?

geoffmck
18-04-2010, 06:26 AM
HI BoulldogsBoy (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=88450): 4.4 sea jay (side console) here. FYI, I had sea jay put 3mm a 3mm bottom on. Can't remember the cost - but was only ~ couple hundred dollars. I've had it since December and love it. 40hp yammie 4strk - I added an SE sports hydrofoil which put the icing on the cake.

What issues were you having that the se sports fixed.

BoulldogsBoy
18-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Hi Bud, and thanks for your post. I am located at The Gap in Brissy and will be using the boat mostly around the rivers and creeks from Pottsville NSW to about Hervey Bay. I am keen to just use if for fishing, exploring the coastal creeks for a few crabs and the occassional day out on the river or bay when weather is fine.

At this stage I am leaning the Sea Jay way as I like the construction a bit more with full welds and bulkheads under the floor and 12mm marine ply foor not 10mm. I also not this is coated before the carpet is glued. The bulkheads also sit and support the flat sections of the bottom where as on the Discovery there is only a smaller contact area as the chine makes contact.

But one of the biggest things I have found so far is how the guy I know at the dealer spent a good hour and a half just going over points to look at and not pushing his boat nor denegrating anyone elses. He just said to consider the use and conditions and to look really hard at making sure the boat meets our needs while considering why different boats are made in different forms.

Thanks for the offer of answering questions and I do appreciate the offer.

Owen.

spelchek
18-04-2010, 09:47 AM
What issues were you having that the se sports fixed.

it was bogging down in the bum on take-off when i was solo in it. With one other person to balance my weight (im a big fella) it was ok, but majority of my boating is solo. The hydrofoil also made slow speed planing effortless - great for outside. The other benifit i hadn't thought of before buying the foil is that it makes the boat a bit more stable at rest.

MyEscape
18-04-2010, 05:58 PM
When I bought my Seajay (a 4.35 Escape CX) even the dealer (who also sells Bluefin mentioned about the full length welds on the side decks and showed me the Bluefins.

This may or may not be an issue however it was surprising to see it at the time.

I have no issues with the standard of welding on my Seajay I tell you. Very high quality.

If you are looking at the 4.3 metre then you are proably not going too far off shore are you?

good luck with choosing your pride and joy. I'm still very happy with mine after 2 years.

Steve