PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead

marty+jojo
16-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know the link to the massive hammerhead shark that was in yesterdays courier mail?
It was caught in northern NSW by Vic Hislop, it was 5mtrs long and weighed 1200kg
***king huge.
Marty.

PinHead
16-04-2010, 05:47 PM
apparently it wasn't caught by Vic..he just bought it after the fact.

Fish_gutz
16-04-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/monster-hammerhead-closes-in-on-queensland/story-e6frfq89-1225853862635

Cheers Andrew

marty+jojo
16-04-2010, 06:08 PM
http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/monster-hammerhead-closes-in-on-queensland/story-e6frfq89-1225853862635

Cheers Andrew

Thanks Andrew.
Marty.

Jonno Lucas
16-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Whoever killed it should be punished. Why do people think these amazing marvels of nature are best suited on display? Have we not learnt anything?

TimiBoy
16-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Whoever killed it should be punished. Why do people think these amazing marvels of nature are best suited on display? Have we not learnt anything?

Did you read the article? No. Quite obviously.

It took a smaller shark they had hooked, and somehow got entangled and died.

Tim

deepfried
16-04-2010, 06:28 PM
thats one huge hammer. the comments to the story are entertaining as well.

seems not many read that well esp those higher than thou types who have advise for everyone on how the planet should work

Jonno Lucas
16-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Did you read the article? No. Quite obviously.

It took a smaller shark they had hooked, and somehow got entangled and died.

Tim

Quite obviously, I read the entire article and all 150+ comments before posting. What makes you think that I didn't? Fair enough they didn't target it, but they then proceeded to kill it after it was caught. It belongs in the ocean...apex predators of these sizes are on par with whales.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
16-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Legal Catch top stuff.

themissus
16-04-2010, 07:36 PM
We drove past it when they had it at the co-op, it was freakin huge!!! We were down there for the monthly Half Tide Board Riders comp:o If the boss gets taken by a noah I'd be sad and all:P but no way would I want the animal hunted down. You know the risks when you enter the water. And I have him insured:-*
It's a shame the old beast came to an untimely end but at hopefully it wont be a total waste and go on show.

liltuffy
16-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Probably just died of old age and the fisho was on the spot at the time.

HeadBanger
16-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I never knew hammers got THAT big. What are the regulations regarding sharks in NSW?

Cheers,
Kaidon

TimiBoy
16-04-2010, 08:28 PM
"It had eaten a smaller shark hooked by the fishing boat and then became trapped itself."

Trapped? Implied to me it wasn't a normal catch, must've been entangled. In any case, it doesn't matter, it's Legal, so those who don't like it can take up the banner and march their hearts out. Just do it someplace else, huh?

Tim

Apollo
16-04-2010, 09:30 PM
We drove past it when they had it at the co-op, it was freakin huge!!! We were down there for the monthly Half Tide Board Riders comp:o If the boss gets taken by a noah I'd be sad and all:P but no way would I want the animal hunted down. You know the risks when you enter the water. And I have him insured:-*
It's a shame the old beast came to an untimely end but at hopefully it wont be a total waste and go on show.

Love the footnote Kim

Steven78
16-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I Think i need a bigger boat

sandbankmagnet
16-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I was surprised to find out that it was estimated at 20 years old. I would have thought something like that would be older. If that's the case, then maybe there are propbably more out there like this,, and bigger.... and if not then it wouldn't take long for them to repopulate to that size if they were a no catch.

sleepygreg
16-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Got some news for you sandbankmagnet....there ARE more out there like that...and they ARE bigger. In 30 odd years of offshore fishing, I have seen a number of Hammers, Whites and Tigers that are bigger than that fella. Including a Hammerhead we had at the boat off Shoalhaven Heads....the boat we were in was a 570 Easyrider half cab....set up for gamefishing. This fish was longer than our boat.....and not 'just' longer than the boat. We called another bigger boat that was near (34 mariner), who were targetting sharks, and told em we had him in the trail but he was too big for us. They motored over and nearly sh%t emselves.....said that it was way to big for them to handle...and that was a boat that had taken BIG sharks in the past. They are there...its just rare for anyone to see them because they dont come close to shore very often....their food source is deep water.

Steeler
17-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Good on-ya sleepy,no way i am wetting my feet next time i am down at seven mile LOL

steve99
17-04-2010, 12:56 AM

Oh dear. :guitarist: :wut:

nougs
18-04-2010, 10:04 AM
yeah massive shark
Some of the comments on that news website are classic

bigjimg
26-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Got some news for you sandbankmagnet....there ARE more out there like that...and they ARE bigger. In 30 odd years of offshore fishing, I have seen a number of Hammers, Whites and Tigers that are bigger than that fella. Including a Hammerhead we had at the boat off Shoalhaven Heads....the boat we were in was a 570 Easyrider half cab....set up for gamefishing. This fish was longer than our boat.....and not 'just' longer than the boat. We called another bigger boat that was near (34 mariner), who were targetting sharks, and told em we had him in the trail but he was too big for us. They motored over and nearly sh%t emselves.....said that it was way to big for them to handle...and that was a boat that had taken BIG sharks in the past. They are there...its just rare for anyone to see them because they dont come close to shore very often....their food source is deep water.
Yeah we had one come over to the boat and would easily have been 6+m.We were in a 33ft O'brien and we felt intimidated.We left that spot.That was of Moreton,we were fishing another spot inside the Hope Banks just off Wello and had a number of hook ups and bust offs using 200lb Jinkai and 24kg gear when a hammer came up and eyeballed us in my 4.2m Bluefin and it was bigger than the boat.SOOOO they are not confined to the deep.Jim... ps we left that spot too.:shocked:

no eye deer
17-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Theres a H/H hanging around Gove harbour/Yacht club, thats at least 4.5Mt. I know because at one stage I was 2 feet away from him!! Crapped myself. He then proceeded to eat the tuna I had been fighting for nearly an hour.

Mark