PDA

View Full Version : suggest me a kyak

myusernam
16-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi guys.
I would like a kyak that can carry camping gear and also my 5 year old with me on occasion. I wiill also want to use it on my own so don't want a tandem, but something that I can put a little dicky seat for my boy to sit in when I go. I was thinking something along the lines of the new prowler ultra 4.7. any others I should consider? Also I kitesurf and have a few kites. Has anyone tried using a kite to power one out in the open?

Just_chips
16-04-2010, 06:33 PM
You would want to strap yourself in to use a kite. Probably not the brightest idea that I have ever heard.
You might like to look at the outlaw by Extreme kayaks for what you are descibing above also, except for maybe the kite surfing thing

Kev

LostNearBribie
18-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah the Outlaw would be right on mate.
250kg payload.
I have had myself, my good wife and 4yo daughter in mine no trouble at all.
No kites mate.

tunaticer
18-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Wilderness systems Tarpon 160 very good build and heaps of cargo space and very good offshore.

myusernam
19-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Wilderness systems Tarpon 160 very good build and heaps of cargo space and very good offshore.

Thanks for the replys so far. I've learned how to spell kayak too!

The outlaw looks good for fishing just for the day but a big part of what I want to use it for is a 3day trip down a river I did once in a hire kayak (80kls or so) so i need to carry a tent, food etc etc. I like inherent safety of sit on top for when I take it out on the bay, and want a spot where I can double my small kids on short trips but nto be a tandem.

The wilderness looks good (like the prowler ultra only significantly cheaper)
I have had a go of my mates prowler 13 and it's pretty good also. I guess the shorter length means it's less efficient to paddle at sea and has less storage space and load capacity but the shorter length would be an advantage in the rapids/ river when I do my river trip (something I'd like to do each year) and would also fit in my boat easier so I can take it to the reef and use it when I'm spearfishing. Are there any others like the prowler 13?

Does anyone have a 13 for sale or want to trade up to the latest and greatest?

LostNearBribie
19-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Mate I'm a bit confused by your comments.
What makes the Outlaw only good for a day?
Wouldn't the 40kg extra carrying capacity suit?
If you want a lighter, more flimsy yak I understand, but that doesn't seem to be what you are asking about.
Where would you put your kids in the Prowler?

myusernam
19-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Mate I'm a bit confused by your comments.
What makes the Outlaw only good for a day?
Wouldn't the 40kg extra carrying capacity suit?
If you want a lighter, more flimsy yak I understand, but that doesn't seem to be what you are asking about.
Where would you put your kids in the Prowler?

I only want to take my kid on short 1 or two hour paddles. I've had him (only 5) before in my lap but thought I could make a drop in frame with aplastic seat he could go behind me.... I didn't look to hard at the outlaw because there didn't look to be much internal storage and I wanted to be able to stow my tent/ sleeping bag / food etc etc inside the hull away from the water when I stack it in the rapids etc Also it doesnt look real streamlined for ease of paddling long distances... how does it paddle with just one person?

I see you can get a drybag to do on the front but it seems silly to mess around having everything on top when you could stow it inside? I'm asking because I have only used a kayak once becore - it was a perception swing or something like that - a big 2 seater thing and we had storage areas where we stowed all our stuff. There wasn't much room and for the river trip i'd be better off witha canadian canoe but I'm trying to buy one thing that's the best compromise.

LostNearBribie
19-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah fair enough mate, didn't think of internal storage as I never need it.
The advantage of not having the internal storage is being able to put extra people on top.
I can have a full esky and tackle bag behind me, child in between my legs and wife up front.
Just suits what I do.
Rapids never enter the equation.
Sounds like you are doing a lot of research though, so I'm sure you will come up with something that does most of what you want.

Red.

Fitzy
20-04-2010, 10:02 AM
The new Prowler Ultra 4.7 is a great boat.

IMHO, forget the kite idea, however looks into a sail like the Pacific Action sails or similar.
Ask your local kayak dealer to show you what's available in sails. I've used them & they can be very easy to use &, in the right conditions, you can really hoot along with one.

Cheers,

fitzy..

LostNearBribie
20-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice one Fitzy!

pimp my boat
24-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi myusernam.
If you are loking for a very well set out prowler 13 check out the boats for sale(ausfish). I have one for sale.It is on page 6 or there abouts.
Regards
Mick

myusernam
30-04-2010, 07:45 AM
id just like to thank everyone who posted reply's. for what it's worth I did a fair bit of research and have decided that i'll be getting a hobie - that drive system just looks too good. The revolution is probably the go for me, although the adventure is apparently better if you want to paddle to get fit and would be better offshore.