PDA

View Full Version : Storing fuel safely for extended trip.

Tinshack
13-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Guys,
I have a SF565 Southwind with a 120L underfloor tank & 115 HP 2 stroke outboard. When I do a 2/3 day trip off 1770 I need to carry an extra 80L of fuel to give me a range of approx. 250km's minimum. The boat has a walk through windscreen right up to the bow sprit with 2 storage bins either side. I have been storing it up front in the storage bins in 4 x 20L fuel drums, 2 each side. The fuel is strapped down so doesn't move around but am worried about having fuel & possible chance of fuel vapors in storage area as the back of all the electrical switches is exposed to the same storage area. I do have an option of putting another 80L alloy tank under the floor & plumbing it into the existing fuel system. Interested what other people do re: fuel storage & where & if my current fuel storage option is considered safe or crazy. Cheers.

mangomick
13-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Know how you feel Tinshack.
I carry either 4 or 5 20 ltr jerries heading out to lamont from Gladstone and it feels like im riding in a floating time bomb.
Then when they are empty they are always in the way where ever they are kept.
I always carry mine down the back so they have plenty of ventilation and try to get them in the tank as soon as possible.
rather than spending the dough getting an extra tank in the floor, (which would require major work) I'm planning on putting up with the dramas until I pull the pin in a few years and then upgrade to a platie with longer range tanks and a newer technology motor.
Currently running 560sf haines with Evinrude 115 ocean pro.
So yeah to carry fuel in drums I think your crazy, but then again what would I know, I'm one of the inmates :evilgrin:

Crocodile
13-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Hello Tinshack
Have a look at this tank from Whitworths.
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=85159&search123=tank&intAbsolutePage=2
Keep it on the floor, use that fuel up first, then stand it on end and lash it behind the passenger seat to use up less floor space.
Or three of these;
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=85215&search123=tank&intAbsolutePage=3
Other ideas;
Remove the passenger seat, make them sit on a box with a fuel tank inside of it.
This might make the boat list to one side, so use that fuel first.
How are you transfering the fuel from the jerries to the main tank?
I always find that very scary when afloat, that is why I suggest plumbed tanks.

White Pointer
13-04-2010, 10:32 PM
G'day,

When you pump fuel from underground storage into cans or drums it will expand with the temperature change. When you transport it on a boat in the open it will expand more. Only use containers that are rated to the Australian Standard for fuel transport. For petrol, gerry cans are about it and they deteriorate pretty quickly with saly water exposure.

You can expel the vapours and pressure by cracking each can or drum but only do so when stationary, close to shore, engine and batteries OFF. Do not store fuel cans or drums near your batteries.

Use the same isolation procedures when transferring fuel from drums and cans to the boat's fuel tank.

Seriously consider having an auxiliary fuel tank installed.

Regards,

White Pointer

myusernam
13-04-2010, 11:02 PM
sounds like a lot of effort and expense for an underfloor. I'd just use jerries but put them down the back or somehting away from the sparks. you could always get one of those on deck plastic 80l jobbies

dodgyone
13-04-2010, 11:12 PM
For my 3 or 4 day trip I usually go with a 60l drum plus 4 jerries on the deck. Also got 90l under the transom well. Try to get the weight forward as the 90l is already alot of weight at the transom and I have trouble holding a slow plane. Boat is a Haines 17r. Damn those 60l's are getting hard to find.

Mr__Bean
16-04-2010, 05:40 AM
I think most people that head out to the reef from 1770 have had to do the "jerry can shuffle" somewhere along the way.

At the Ausfish Agnes Water / 1770 Meet and Greet last year we loaded eight jerry's onto the boat for the 3 day trip out on the reef. As mentioned by others, we get the transfer done early to get the fuel into the main tank as soon as possible. With a hardtop we then lash the empties onto the roof to get them up out of the way.

A jiggle siphon tube helps reduce the transfer spill risk, we use one and then just tip the last bit in using the jerry spout.

It isn't ideal but is something we do when we are anchored up on good water behind an island etc.

Last thing you want to be doing is trying to transfer fuel in the rough or letting your motor run dry before transfer (we leave that to the PBA boys).

- Darren

team_mongo
16-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Tinshack,

Have a look at http://www.turtlepac.com/products/fuel-bladder-marine-pillow-tanks.html. They make collapsable marine petrol tanks that have a brass fuel fitting so you can hook up straight to the motor.

The only problem is they are a bit exe!

Mongo

Tinshack
16-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi guys, I have normally transferred the fuel from jerry's into main tank using the jiggy pipe thing, but real pain in the butt! I have priced up the following options.

Option 1 - upgrade to 4 stroke, 115HP Suzuki - $15,600 + fitting. $4,000 trade for my current motor. I get 1km/L when rough, 1.8km/L when smooth, so average 1.4km/L, 200L gives me 280km's. Suzuki state 2.2km/L so with 120L main tank will get 264km roughly. Can't justify spending $12,000 + don't have $12k sitting around. Better off selling complete rig & upgrade later to boat with 4 stroke when have the $.

Option 2 - I have 120L killl tank in floor in front of existing fuel tank. Don't use it much, I had converted it to a large plumbed live bait tank. I can fit a custom made 90L alloy with plenty of space around it for ventilation. $300 for fuel tank, $200 for fuel hose, 3way valve, fibreglassing support rails ect.. This will give me 210L, so at 1.4km/L I have 295km's to play with. This is ample for 3 days on the water around bunker group with excess for rough trip home if required. This option also now gives me more space in the front storage compartments for food esky & bait esky. So this clears all the decks & can sleep 3 people on the decks.

So happy with option 2, feel safe having fuel all fix plumbed & under floor, fuel is low in the hull so less rolling around, all good.:charming:

Helps to get people's opinions & a little time to bounce ideas around to get the best solution for my needs & budget.

Thanks for your help.

White Pointer
16-04-2010, 10:17 PM
G'day,

I think both option 1 and option 2 have merit but option 1 really increases the resale value of the boat. The downside, as you said, is that you have to fund it.

Here's option 3. If your transom can carry the weight of a Suzuki 115HP it can carry a Suzuki 140HP. It's actually slightly lighter, according to the Suzuki website.

The 140HP has variable cam timing and is more efficient. If you elected to do this you won't need the extra top end speed that the 140HP could deliver so consider a 4 blade prop to give you hole shot and low revs cruising at 3600 to 4000RPM at 21 to 25Kn. I think it could make a useful improvement to range.

I reckon that's about another $900 worth of engine and $400 for the 4-blade prop (but you get to keep the one that comers off) so an even bigger day out.

I would be very interested to hear back on the pros and cons of this from your dealer.

Regards,

White Pointer

fishing111
17-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Tinshack,their is a pair (2) of 115 Suzuki's with 180 hrs and hydrallic steering included for $19K on Cootacraft website.Just throwing another idea into mix.

Marlin_Mike
17-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Storing fuel like that brings up one question for me.............INSURANCE. if boat explodes or catches fire, I bet they would wipe you real quick and void any payout.

Mike

Tinshack
17-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi guys, I have opted for option 2 above. Looked at 140HP Suzuki but boat is name plated max, HP is 115hp. Insurance will be a problem if I exceed rated power.

Marlin_Mike if I have an issue re: fire/explosion with 80L of petrol up front, I won't have to worry about making a claim for boat insurance as I wouldn't be here. My wife & family will be making a claim on my life insurance policy.

I even looked at replacing the existing 120L stainless tank with 220L alloy tank as I have the room but 2 much weight at rear of boat.

Happy with outcome, tank getting made Tuesday next week. Will save the $12k to use when I decide to upgrade in a few years.

Thanks,
David.

QF3 MROCP
17-04-2010, 03:59 PM
[quote=Tinshack;1153017]

Marlin_Mike if I have an issue re: fire/explosion with 80L of petrol up front, I won't have to worry about making a claim for boat insurance as I wouldn't be here. My wife & family will be making a claim on my life insurance policy.

quote]

Dave:

Marlin & I assume you must travel alone.. or do your mates also have insurance for their wifes and kids make a claim on their policy and your assets and family home for liability....
extract from RACQ policy:

http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/17684/Boat_PDS_RTBI2_10-09_02.pdf

Exclusions: failure by you or a person in charge of your boat to take reasonable precautions for the safety and security of your boat;

tell us immediately if:
• there is any material change to the boat or modifications which depart from the manufacturer’s specifications;

Marlin and I are simply highlighting a few safety issues and financial consequences - please don't shoot us down....

Safety at Life at Sea - SOLAS

You're the Skipper - You're Responsible!

Tinshack
17-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for your input. Light hearted humor is hard to portrait in an email/text, I am after peoples opinions not to shoot anyone down, apologies Marlin if you were offended.

I am insured with RACQ & the previous modifications (motor pod & auxiliary fuel tank) I have done, they required the work to be undertaken by a qualified licensed marine fabricator with public liability insurance. I understand if a claim is to be made either boat insurance or life insurance they will investigate thoroughly to determine cause & shift liability to another party to prevent paying the claim, sadly this is life these days.

This forum started based on risk & my concerns with the way I was carrying additional fuel. The risk of carrying fuel in an Aus. Standard fuel container in a storage area that is not well ventilated, has the possibility of fuel vapors & exposed to a possible ignition source is considerably higher than a professionally plumbed auxiliary fuel tank plumbed with appropriate fuel breathers away from any possible ignition source.

Sounds like many other members can carry fuel containers in the rear of there boat away from any possible ignition source. I can’t do this as boat is all sealed up as it is a dry deck with scuffers, also have 160L ice box so no deck space.

Thanks Peter, I have called RACQ & advised them of my proposed modifications & all good. I also feel 100% safer carrying fuel this way.

Cheers,

Marlin_Mike
17-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for your input. Light hearted humor is hard to portrait in an email/text, I am after peoples opinions not to shoot anyone down, apologies Marlin if you were offended.

I am insured with RACQ & the previous modifications (motor pod & auxiliary fuel tank) I have done, they required the work to be undertaken by a qualified licensed marine fabricator with public liability insurance. I understand if a claim is to be made either boat insurance or life insurance they will investigate thoroughly to determine cause & shift liability to another party to prevent paying the claim, sadly this is life these days.

This forum started based on risk & my concerns with the way I was carrying additional fuel. The risk of carrying fuel in an Aus. Standard fuel container in a storage area that is not well ventilated, has the possibility of fuel vapors & exposed to a possible ignition source is considerably higher than a professionally plumbed auxiliary fuel tank plumbed with appropriate fuel breathers away from any possible ignition source.

Sounds like many other members can carry fuel containers in the rear of there boat away from any possible ignition source. I can’t do this as boat is all sealed up as it is a dry deck with scuffers, also have 160L ice box so no deck space.

Thanks Peter, I have called RACQ & advised them of my proposed modifications & all good. I also feel 100% safer carrying fuel this way.

Cheers,

The part above i highlighted is what I was trying to say Tinshack. DONT give them any reason to void a claim, hate to see someone lose their boat for carrying a drum of fuel. I guarantee their arguement will be fuel can only be carried in the fuel tank.

Mike