PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Throttle

upstart
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I know the title sounds a little dodgy....

Anyway, my Mercury 115hp from way back in 2001 has got a really stiff throttle. I guess this is from being out int the weather so much. It goes into forward and reverse easily but is then really stiff to move either way.
Ok, here come the questions:

1. Is this a problem with the control box, the cables or the motor?

2. Are these control boxes easy to pull apart and service or am I better off getting the local Mercury dealer (Motor Marine) to fix it?

Thanks for any advice.

Dantren
13-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Not sure about the Merc, but some control boxes have a grub screw which adjusts the tension of the handle. Might be the answer??

Cheech
13-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Sounds like the cables. I had the exact same symptoms and after changing the cables was good as new. You can get standard cables or silicon cables. It was recommended to me to spend the extra on the silicone. Happy I did.

If you are handy with a spanner then change yourself. Just make sure when you pull the control box cover off that you take note of how everything came apart so you can put back together correctly. At the motor end it is straight forward to take off and put back together.

Noelm
13-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I guess the short answer is, you need to do some trouble shooting first, the control box will be easy enough to pull apart, but you need to find out what the probelm is, make sure there is no friction adjustment as mentioned, step 1, disconnect the throttle cable at the motor end, is the throttle easy to move at the motor (my guess is it will be) next remove the control box and pull the cover off and disconnect the cable at that end, is the lever smooth and easy to move (my guess is it will be) next have a good look at the cable for damage and tight bends (should do this first I guess) then try to move the cable with nothing connected, is it smooth and easy to move (my guess is, it will be very tight! next step, get in car and go to dealer and buy a new cable of the correct length.