PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter required?

BrettoM
12-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I am just about to take delivery of a new Yamaha 60HP 4 stroke. I mentioned a fuel filter to the dealer but he did not think it was too necessary? I was just reading in another thread about condensation in empty tanks and hence reinforced my thoughts re fuel filter. Would be interested to know what others think.
Cheers
Bretto

Dan5
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
YES.......YES........YES..........

For 80 dollars you can't be with out one......make sure it has a water seperator.......

I have a 60 yammie 4strk it's been a good little donk.....

BrettoM
12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Dan. Yes I hope it will be as reliable and perform as well as all the talk about the Yamaha 60 4 stroke. Cheers Brett.

Kondo 1
12-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I am just about to take delivery of a new Yamaha 60HP 4 stroke. I mentioned a fuel filter to the dealer but he did not think it was too necessary? I was just reading in another thread about condensation in empty tanks and hence reinforced my thoughts re fuel filter. Would be interested to know what others think.
Cheers
Bretto

I just ordered an F50 4 stroke, being EFI I would not be without a decent fuel filter with water seperator. I dare say that contaminated fuel damage to injectors or fuel would not be covered by warranty.

Hence I specified the big Yamaha/Racor filter at around $200 odd.

No way I would be without one especially with my remote travel.

http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop/Product_detail.asp?CatID=22&RangeID=83&ProdID=4833

No way I would be without a decent filter on any boat - bloody cheap insurance I reckon.

myusernam
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I just ordered an F50 4 stroke, being EFI I would not be without a decent fuel filter with water seperator. I dare say that contaminated fuel damage to injectors or fuel would not be covered by warranty.

Hence I specified the big Yamaha/Racor filter at around $200 odd.

No way I would be without one especially with my remote travel.

http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop/Product_detail.asp?CatID=22&RangeID=83&ProdID=4833

No way I would be without a decent filter on any boat - bloody cheap insurance I reckon.

eastener make a direct copy of the racor filters. you can get the whole assembley for $60 (metal bit, water bowl and cartridge 10 micron) or you can buy the racor one for $200 plus and then pay $60 bucks just for the replacement cartridge! I had a racor system but there are two formats mercury and OMC, the racor make aftermarket filters for both but if you want the water seperator it's only in the mercury (different thread size - that's all). So I bought a brand new unit for the price of a replacement racor filter. the units are identical and same spec. BIAS has them for $60. replacement cartridge about $20.

incidently was in at local yamaha dealer and needed another one for my second boat, so thought what the hell and threw it on the pile of stuff, thinking it would only be a few dollars more. I got to the car and saw it was over twice the price! promptly about turned, got refund and went to bias. could have got the yamaha tank fittings i was buying from bias heaps cheaper too. fkkrs