PDA

View Full Version : New TLD25 :)

Jasinex
12-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,

on sunday i went down to BCF and purchased one of there TLD combos which was on sale for $220 (reel is usually $259)... included in this i got a TLD25, 10-15KG Roller Tip Shimano Aquatip rod (usually $79), and gimble belt (usually $50). i think this was great value if only for the reel anyway.

my questions are firstly... has anyone had any experience using this rod? what do they think.... ( i don't really want to buy another rod)....

and secondly what are your opinions of line to spool it with ie. breaking strain... i will be using braid/fireline and using mono backing....

who has spooled one recently and how much will it take.. it says 50lb - 300 yd im guessing thats mono... so will a 300yd spool of 50 or 60lb braid with say 50yd of backing be enough... i dont want to get to the end and run out of line hahaha (cost alot for a spool of quality line )....

do you think 50 or 60lb is enough or ???

ill be using it off shore and for trolling in the summer

thanks

Jason

Horse
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
What are you chasing with it? I think the TLD 25 is suited to mono as it has plenty of capacity. I would also steer clear of Fireline and go with something a bit more supple if you are going down the GSP path. 40lb mono would suit the reel and be more than enough firepower for trolling unless you go wide and hook a large Marlin

Marlin_Mike
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree with Horse. 40lb quality mono is fine

Mike

jayvee
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
i put 1000m of 30lb fins braid on mine with a small amount of mono backing (just enough to cover the base of the spool) and it is still about 7mm from reaching the edge of the spool. 30lb is more than enough for me trolling and bottom bashing here on sunny coast!

JAYVEE

bagdout
12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
your best bet would be to go to your local tackle store and get them to spool it up for you. i put 500yd of 30lb finns on mine recently. cant remember off hand how much backing they put on but it was alot more than 50 yds. nothin worse than having to pull all the line off and put more backing on...

cheers, aaran

sleepygreg
12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
just playing devils advocate here....although the TLD25 is a tough as nails reel (I have two of em) they are NOT designed to run 50lb breaking strain line. As long as you keep your expectations reasonable and set your strike and sunset within the design limitation it will be fine. (I run 50lb suffix on one of mine...but have strike set at 8lb....sunset is about 20lb) have about 500m of it on...with some mono backing...not sure how much.

My tld 20 has 300m of suffix with some mono backing.

Greg

Midnight
13-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Gday,
I have a TLD25 on a 24kg rod that I use for both heavy bottom bashing(Red Emporer out of Cains etc) and trolling here.
It has around 100m of 50lb mono backing, 300m of Fins 50lb braid and then about 100m of 50lb mono.
The mono topshot is for summer trolling, to pull mostly crazy deep laserpros as they need 6-8kg of drag to hold them at 7knots.
Once the trolling is finished, I strip off the mono and I am in bottom basher mode and can run the full drag capacity of the reel (about 9.5kg).

On that rod, I would just spool it up with 30lb mono if you are mainly trolling, or go for a near full spool of braid and put a 100 or so metre mono topshot on it for the trolling season.
Most braids, unless you use Fins IGFA rated braid, will break significantly higher than the stated breaking strain.

The TLD25 are THE best value for money reel around in my opinion. Very versatile in their use and they last forever when cared for.

Cheers,
Myles

Jasinex
16-04-2010, 01:25 PM
hey guys,

thanks for the info... just wondering straight out of the box... how do you adjust what your strike drag is ( i assume that it is when the drag lever is up to the button?) and what is sunset?

on a side note.. i had a quick look around last night.. who sells fins braid hahahah

thanks again :)

trueblue
16-04-2010, 07:25 PM
don't underestimate what a TLD reel can do. I have a 20 that I have abused year after year, spooled with 80 lb braid that is fished at 50 lb on a 50 lb rod. As a bottom bashing rod, no problems.

Just keep servicing it as required, and changing drag washers if it gets lumpy and it will be fine.

cheers

Mick

sleepygreg
17-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Strike is to the button....and sunset is full drag.

Horse
17-04-2010, 08:09 AM
To adjust the drag you pull the lever back and adjust the knob then test. Out of the box you should be able to get around 9kgs of drag. Mine is set with about 7kgs on strike
Alan Tani has a great service review that is worth looking at. They are a great reel that is nice and light but still has plenty of punch