PDA

View Full Version : Jetski (PWC) or Boat ?

dammit
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I know this will probably start a big debate, but what do you all think is better?

Boat or PWC.

Basically I am contemplating between getting say a 15-16 ft half cabin boat, or a PWC.

PWC pro's I can see:
Lower tow weight/easier to tow on holidays, etc.
Less bulky so storage at home easier
Faster water speed so you can get to destination quicker
Again because faster you get adrenaline rush on the water

PWC con's
Guzzle fuel
servicing costs?
Bad reputation due to maniacs
Greater depreciation?

Boat pro's
Much more versatility - fishing, boating, picnics on board, sleeping on board
More stable/can go in rougher areas
Cheaper on fuel (I guess?)
Cheaper on servicing (again I guess?)
Lower insurance/running costs/depreciation
Can take more people on board

Boat con's
Possible need to upgrade vehicle if towing limit low
harder to take long distances due to increase car fuel used and journey length/effort
For the same price as a 2nd hand jetski, a boat will be much older (say 20 yrs old instead of 10).

This is all I have got so far. some of my observations could be completely wrong.

Basically I would like something that I can tow up to Hervey Bay and go see the humpback whales in - I don't know how one would go doing this in a jet ski - possibility of getting knocked off/or if the fuel capacity/range would even get you close to the whales. The only other main thing I want to do on the water is picnics, say taking food over to south straddie or wave break and the like and sitting having a picnic/arvo in the water. and maybe a bit of towing tube/etc.

Ive been keeping a good eye on ebay and noticed this PWC which looked relatively good condition, everything working and only 4k. I didn't end up bidding but wondered what the costs associated with this would be (servicing/intervals and repairs etc): http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320514187413

How long do jetski's usually last before needing major work? It has 210 hours on it. If this guy bought it for 8k with 190 hrs on it then sold for 4k with 210hrs that means it's cost $4000 for 20 hours of jetskiing? thats $200 an hour just in depreciation ! surely not?!

I know a lot of people prob don't like jetskis here, I see them on the broadwater and their behaviour shocks me (not every one but a few maniacs out there). but I wonder if I got home from work at 5pm if I'd ever get the ski out for an hour before daylight ends, it would be much more convenient/easy going for a quick 'mid-week' ski than it would be getting a big boat in/out of the water ??

Jabiru658
11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure what the situation is where you are but there are an increasing number of 'jet-ski no go areas' down here, mainly as a reaction to the people that don't drive them at least somewhat sensibly (and yes I know that's not all jet ski owners).

ashh
11-04-2010, 04:34 PM
a boat would be better for being sociable ie taking a few of your mates out for a fish....buying a jetski is a bit like buying a motorbike.....unless your friends have one its not as fun, well thats the way I see it anyways :)

ashh
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
but I wonder if I got home from work at 5pm if I'd ever get the ski out for an hour before daylight ends,

get a boat with nav lights and you can stay out all night

it would be much more convenient/easy going for a quick 'mid-week' ski than it would be getting a big boat in/out of the water ??
no matter what you do you will still have to hook and unhook the trailer, launch and retrieve whether its a PWC or a boat, no difference

Captain Seaweed
11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
boat not a hard decision, take a mate out fish overnight, take a bbq with you, esky for beers, stay dry

Marty

Marlin_Mike
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
DONT BE GREEDY.............BUY ONE OF EACH.....

Mike

trueblue
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
not even worth asking the question - they are so different it just depends on which activity you prefer

STUIE63
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned getting snapper headed if you get a pwc .::)
seriously though I think most people on this forum will say a boat because of what this forum is . if you asked the same question on a pwc forum then you would get a completely different answer I would think
Stuie

PWCDad
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm lucky enough to have both...

As far as skis go...

The fuel consumption in our two skis is fantastic. We have High Output 4 stroke yammies. The tank holds 70 litres and our range is just on 200 kilometres.

The skis go everywhere and our average ride is around 130 kilometres for a day.

We have often put in at Jacobs Well and ridden to Amity Point and out the South Passage bar, flip back through and back for lunch at little ships then home to ramp. Stop at Horseshoe bay for swim on way back.

Another great trip is out the Jumpinpin bar and circumnavigate South Straddie. Back in the seaway and up to the ramp at Jacobs. I would take my ski in far more dangerous water than my boat.

100 litres of storage in each gets you safety gear and lunch onboard easy.

We have two skis which take a kid each so the four of us enjoy them. We have a deal with the kids, one trip is with them onboard next trip is us alone.

I do all my own servicing on skis and my boat so moot point there for me. The 4 strokes are easy service with about the same detail as a modern injected 4 stroke outboard. We have around 400 hrs on the two skis and have never had a single fault.

They can cruise on 90kph and are very stable at 540kg with rider and fuel aboard.

They do have a bad rap but we have always been sensible on them for the last 4 yrs and have never had a problem or been booked. We dont freestyle on them much, only in the outside surf of Straddie, and virtually use them as cruisers to get us places fast and back again fast.

My two skis on trailer were around 50k ....

My current boat is a 10 yr old whittley that I purchased for 35k a year ago and has been great for the last 100 odd hours we have put on it. So cheaper there.

Chalk and cheese to the skis. The four of us sleep on the boat and as an example spent all of Easter out on the water. Exceptional family fun with everything from the wife out "breaming" me in the zodiac to all of us crashing in the boat every night with a portable dvd player running a movie et cetera.

Very hard to overnight on the skis AND not one insurance company covers the skis against theft when off the trailer ... and the insurance is just on $2000 for the two skis for full insurance and $5mill public liability.

I've probably clouded it a bit for you ...sorry (wink)! But its a horse for course thing and if I had to choose one .........

I've been in boats for 40yrs and in skis for 4 yrs. Love my boating and am just glad to be addicted to the sea.

IMHO go boat for a few yrs first!

I'd be glad to answer any further questions you have about skis.

Regards
Anthony

bastard
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Mate i have one of each and there really is no comparison ,the novelty weres of real fast,maintenance is high but they are great for short time fun,mines on ebay at the moment,ive had boats my hole life and still get out every weekend and the novelty never weres of for me or the family,sittin on the beach doin a camp oven and having a couple of beers is great.

PWCDad
11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Just to add...

I would not even entertain the thought of a 2 stroke ski. You are looking at rings around 300-400 hrs and piston top end kit at around 500-600ish.

Fuel consumption for GP1300r Yammie is twice the consumption as the 4 strokes we have. hard to find a new 2 stroke ski now.... bit old hat!

Virtually the same rules apply to boat as well as skis as far as water creatures and "distance off" regulations.

Ten times as many dolphins have been in my bow wave on the skis compared to my boats in the last 4 yrs. Only two months ago my wife and I had to stop at Jumpinpin as the dolphins were all around us. We just switched off and sat there and they just played under and around us for a good 5mins and because we stopped they then moved off slowly. Two or three were hunting whiting under the skis. I kid you not! No exposed prop or leg to hurt them either!

I regularly tow the kids in a tube with the skis mainly in the fresh of Somerset Dam.

Motor hours for a modern 4 stroke ski are around 3500hrs. I know of some VX110 hire skis in Hawaii that have those hours with original pistons. Some battery charging system components done at 900-1000hrs. Same adage applies to skis as well as boats ...they suffer more from lack of use than use! Time catches up with them not motor hours.

The first pump bearings I've replaced in a jet pump of a yammy was at 750hrs.

Props go at around 250hrs but it depends on how much sand you put through them. Little bit of cavitation on them, noticeable around 160hrs depending on engine horsepower.

Regards
Anthony

Kero
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I choose the boat! Jet ski can be lots of fun, but a very lonely sport unless you have friends with the same. Like others have said, it all depends on what your main needs are out of the vessel. The boat will give you more versatility in a wide range of scenarios. Have fun choosing and hunting down a new baby!

Captain Seaweed
11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I have had 2 GP1300r and they are NOT fishing skis but race and wave jump ski's. Yes they are 2 stroke but only went 4 stroke because of emissions standards thats all. Would I fish off a jetski ...NO because they are not built for it.
Yes you can go offroad in a Lada and you can probably fish in a jetski or a set of ski's or a surfboard if you tried.