PDA

View Full Version : Dunbier Tyres/Repacement

bigjimg
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Just thought I would give the heads up on the tyres on my 2 year old trailer.After a trip to Somerset a few weeks ago I had to get under and polish off all the Tar that had flicked up onto the hull from some fresh road works.While underneath I noticed some major delamination going on on one of the tyres and some big bubbles happening on the inside wall.Needless to say off it came and replaced with Max-miler GT radial in 13inch.Was going to go to 14inch tyres and rims but the cost is just not worth it as have to replace the gaurds as well and the price for 14inch tyres is not much different to 13's anyhow.So those of you that have the Dunbier brand tyre get out there and have a close inspection of the side walls and general condition as all of mine are rooted.5 tyres replaced for $620 fitted.Still hate the trailer.Jim

nicko233
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
gday bigjimg,those tyres seemed to cost a fair bit,should be around the $80 dollar mark.how old were the other ones?might be a call for replacement by warranty.

timddo
11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
i upgraded my tandam trailer from 13inch to 14inch tyres and rims. I didnt upgrade my trailer guards and all seems fine. Just a little less clearence then b4.

bigjimg
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Nicko the tyres are 5yrs bought the boat in 08 june so not quite 2yrs.Timddo would have to upgrade to the 14in guards bugger all clearance getting the tyre in the 13's and yeah i tried putting the 14in ones in from my work trailer,no go. I'll have a chat with the man at the tyre joint and see what we can do,goes in this week.The one i did on Fri was $120 I'm sure we can work on the price.Jim

stevej
11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
common opinion is those duro tyres are shite
they deform easily when left standing in one spot you then jump on the highway then they pop

2200 trailer and they put $60 worth of tyres on it.
i would have paid the difference as purchase time obviously built to a price

Duckfish
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd make sure that the tyres were of the Light Truck versions. Normal road tyres for boat trailers is asking for troubles.

Duck

deefa66
11-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Yep, rubbish tyres come on Dunbier trailers.
Had to replace my tyres within 6months, probably 1500ks

Paul007
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I am thinking of changing to 14 in wheels. Several tyre dealers have told me that 13 inch light truck tires are becoming hard to get, due to there being very little demand fro them from motor vehicle manufacturers. Most vechicles that require light truck tires are being specified with 14 inch instead of 13.
I have alloy wheels so if I want to maintain the same standard I will need to get not only the four tires but also alloy wheels.
Best quote I have so far is from a dealer who gave me an option to go with a respected brand of tire or a lesser known brand of the same spec.
185R14 102 (Rated at 850kg)
Wanli brand $85.00 ea.
Yokohama $105.00 ea.
Tubes $20.00 ea.
Alloy boat wheels to fit a HQ stud pattern 102.00 ea.
(I find the tubeless valve stems leak due to the alloy corroding around the stem, so I have used tubes in my boat tyres for years.)
828.00 If I fit the Wanli tyres
908.00 for Yokohamas
He didn't mention fitting.... and this is supposed to be mates rates so maybe he is not going to charge for fitting... (maybe).
I am going to go that way but I'll wait till the tyres that are on there start to show deterioration.
I can fit the 14s without having to change the guards.
Paul.

lippa
11-04-2010, 07:25 PM
you blokes are a bit hard on the duro tyres. mine are nearing 5 years old,(10-15k) without an issue. I agree they are probably one of the cheapest tyre a manufacture can put on a trailer, but with care, they will last you. the biggest killer of trailer tyre is inactivity and sunlight. follow that up with incorrect pressure, and even simple things like rotating and balancing the tyres will go far!. treat them like the ones on your car and they will give you great service. i had on of my duro's start to scallop a fair bit. not they tyre's fault. MINE! a quick alignment of the axle sorted the drama out, and seen that tyre relegated to a competent spare.

like anything thing fella's treat them with disrespect, and the will give you the same back. when i am due for newies, i'm going the yokies. they are quality, but only if ya care for them!

cheers lippa

tin can marlin
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
you blokes are a bit hard on the duro tyres. mine are nearing 5 years old,(10-15k) without an issue. I agree they are probably one of the cheapest tyre a manufacture can put on a trailer, but with care, they will last you. the biggest killer of trailer tyre is inactivity and sunlight. follow that up with incorrect pressure, and even simple things like rotating and balancing the tyres will go far!. treat them like the ones on your car and they will give you great service. i had on of my duro's start to scallop a fair bit. not they tyre's fault. MINE! a quick alignment of the axle sorted the drama out, and seen that tyre relegated to a competent spare.

like anything thing fella's treat them with disrespect, and the will give you the same back. when i am due for newies, i'm going the yokies. they are quality, but only if ya care for them!

cheers lippa
I agree with you Lippa your on the money with this keep up the good advice

bigjimg
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
The Duro tyres are not the issue here it is the Dunbier brand tyre,the one with Dunbier embossed onto the sidewall.All mine have surface checking in the sidewalls and splits in amongst the tread.For the record the axles I laser aligned to within a couple of mm,this has nothing to do with that,they are just shit.And Dunbier only warrant their tyres for six months.Jim

Argle
12-04-2010, 12:29 PM
G'day Jim, sorry to hear about your tyre troubles. Mate any chance you could tell me what size tyre you have on? Ive ordered a 580BR and it will be on a Dunbier tandem trailer with the Dunbier tyres fitted no doubt. I will look into getting some decent LT tyres to have put on before delivery, Its not worth having cheap tyres on a trailer.

Cheers
Scott

bigjimg
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Gday Scott,Dunbier have an upgrade to 14in on an alloy rim but make sure tubes are fitted and a good quality light truck tyre fitted not their Dunbier brand tyre.I've got 175/80 in 13in on at the moment in the Dunbier brand and going to 175/80 Max-Miler GT Radial in 13in Light Truck.The guards come in different sizes as well to suit the tyre.Make sure also the trailer is set up right as well as have had issues with mine and basically had to set it up myself,Dunbier were hopeless.Be careful as it will damage your boat if it is not right.Been there done that.Just glad Gordon is at Haines,top fella and very helpful.The bowrider is a cracking rig bet you can'y wait to take delivery.Jim

sharkcat one
12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what is wrong with the Dunbier trailers as I am about to purchase one , chosing between Oceanic, Dunbier and Belco .

cheers,

bigjimg
12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Not so much the trailer itself just cheap crappy tyres that dunbier have manufactured,I guess too keep the costs down,not worth a pinch of pelican poop.Jim

Argle
13-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Cheers Jim I will look into weather I can get the 14" upgrade prior to delivery. The boat is a synergy package which means its a boat motor trailer setup at the factory not the dealer, I would hope that the trailer and engine etc should be spot on as the factory guys should know what they are doing and how it should be. I have had issues in the past with new boats that were set up by the dealer not the factory and yeah the set up of the trailer and engine were less than ideal.

Cant wait to get my mitts on it!

Cheers
Scott

bigfella23
16-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Dunbier has been using 6 ply radials now for over 12 mths for 13" . 14" has always been LT . Apparently not had one problem with these new tyres.
6 mth warranty on tyres is same as cars , and is industry standard.
Expecting warranty on 2y/o tyres is a bit rich.

bigjimg
16-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Dunbier has been using 6 ply radials now for over 12 mths for 13" . 14" has always been LT . Apparently not had one problem with these new tyres.
6 mth warranty on tyres is same as cars , and is industry standard.
Expecting warranty on 2y/o tyres is a bit rich.
Never called them never expected warranty,but would have liked not to go through the expense of replacing 5 tyres in under 2 yrs.Update on tyre cost now is $560.Unreal.Jim

Daisy Burnett
16-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Guys
I spoke to my dealer after reading the comments on the Dunbier trailer tyres as my new boat has just been put on one ealier in the week. He acknowleded that there has been a problem with the tyres and he had, had a lot of trouble in the past. He also assured me that the problem was identified and rectified. I trust this guy as he has done me some good deals in the past and always been straight. Makes me feel better anyway.

Cheers
Daisy

Steve B
16-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Had the same problem Jim. less than 2 years before they were basically destroyed. Did everything right, as Lippa suggested. It was driven regularly, shedded, rotated, balanced..correct pressures etc.

Also- tail light assembly fell off..broke at weld- with rego plate gone too. Cheap crap lights., broke the winch mount pole at the base...again at the weld..just a poor excuse for a trailer IMHO. Paid more that the average expecting a better quality. should have gone the cheaper mako trailer to match the makocraft (Sealink) I think.

Steve

bigjimg
16-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I've decided to go with the GT Radial tyre 8ply with 5yr replacement guarantee at $120 as against the Maxxis tyre that only has 6ply and 4yr guarantee at $110.So brings me back to $600.So there goes the industry standard of 2 yrs out the window,on these tyres anyway.Just a note the wifes not happy,and who could blame her,neither am I.Could have got a couple of trolling rods.Jim

big moose
19-04-2010, 11:56 PM
hey guys save yourselves some cash and grief buy a swiftco from the trailerguys, it will be two to three grand cheaper and come with new galvanised sunraysia rims and new light truck radials not rebranded retreads like some of the aforementioned trailer manufacturers use. the trailer for my 5.2 rumrunner dual axle load sharing braked led lights stainles wire brake cable 5/16 not 1/4 gal 3200 next cheapest quote 5 or more. two years on no troubles at all

sharkcat one
20-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Hate to break the bad news to you Big Moose , but swiftco went under 8 months ago . The tip shop bought most of the parts, Trailer city get their trailers from a guy in Sydney , May-be he has some parts from swiftco and are calling them swiftco ? Who knows ?

But swiftco aren't around anymore.:-[

cheers.

Coontakinta
21-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Bigjimg, and others.
Similar thing happened to another fellow here in SA below is the wash up of it all after contacting his dealer

An update and closure on this....

The dealer rang me yesterday to say he had been in touch with the trailer manufacturer.
Russell Dunbier did recognise the fact that there had been a batch of tyres go through that they were not happy with.

I have already fitted new tyres (very happy with!).

It's been agreed that there will be a sum of money passed to the dealer which will then come off my 100 hr service with the dealer next week.

So............thank you very much to George at Hodge Marine, never had a beef with him over this, he is great and does not want to lose customers.

Hope I've made people more aware of their tyres - one main trick for longer life is to keep rotating the tyres - take the boat of for a 5 min run!

and the link to the whole thing if u can get in.

http://www.strikehook.com/forum/32-boat-motor-a-trailer-maintenance/97033-check-your-trailer-tyres?limit=15&start=30#97950

Might be worth contacting your dealer or Dunbier direct BJG

timddo
21-04-2010, 09:55 AM
My dunbier had bubbles on the side walls so i quickly upgraded them to 14inch tyres and rims - Thanx's to an ausfisher who had them for sale at a bargain price.

Now the boat and trailer was jsut 18 months old. Parked in the shade when at home undercover.

hsv 408
21-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I've decided to go with the GT Radial tyre 8ply with 5yr replacement guarantee at $120 as against the Maxxis tyre that only has 6ply and 4yr guarantee at $110.So brings me back to $600.So there goes the industry standard of 2 yrs out the window,on these tyres anyway.Just a note the wifes not happy,and who could blame her,neither am I.Could have got a couple of trolling rods.Jim

What does the 5 year replacement guarantee cover ? i reckon you would have a fat chance of getting any sort of claim after any length of time always come up with an excuse to not warrant a replacement too many variables .

bigjimg
21-04-2010, 02:43 PM
What does the 5 year replacement guarantee cover ? i reckon you would have a fat chance of getting any sort of claim after any length of time always come up with an excuse to not warrant a replacement too many variables .
Go to the GT Radials site and check it out.The supplier gives it to you written when puchased.The Maxxis ones were the same only 4yrs.Obviously if you had a puncture your not going to claim,but if you had a delamination or a bubble in the wall why not if within the five years.If they want to offer the warranty then being someone who doesn't speak shit why wouldn't they honour it.Jim

Nobites
21-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I just had 15 inch Nankangs fail on me after two years. They had done around 6000 klms. Bubbles in side walls, splits in between tread, not so good.

I had to stop in at Proserpine. I got Maximiler GT RAdials, I was told by a friend who owns a tyre shop that they are pretty good tyres. I only realised as I felt the trailer vibrating.

I intend to jack the trailer onto stands when not in use in future and also put on tyre covers.

Dont want to go down that path again.