PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra 10 April 2010

Lovey80
10-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Headed out from Mooloolaba this morning at 5am. Headed South East for a mark off Caloundra that has produced plenty of Snapper in the Past. Found the mark and some good shows. First drop with a Hard nose baby bass on 5/8 Jighead saw my little Diawa Sol 2500 Screaming within a minute of hitting the bottom. First 5 mins a 75cm Snapper on Board. 2 drifts later my Father boated a slightly larger model that was the same length but weighed just over the 5kg mark.

I stupidly started talking up the prospects of a bag out and that was the end of it. Tried a few other spots and undersize Maori Cods returned.

Around lunchtime the wind started picking up so headed in closer to Curramundi for a couple of Drifts for no success. Heading back to Mooloolaba so some of the best bird action I have seen in a long time. thousands of Birds and just as many Mack Tuna busting up the surface and getting some airtime. 2 Hookups for one pulled hooks and one broken leader knot (getting regular lately).

All in all a good day out with the old man and some fillets for the table. Better luck next time.

Cheers

Chris

Scalem
11-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Chris,

That's a good result ( compared to mine)

I went out of Mooloolaba southern ramp amoungst the hoards and straight over to Barwon Banks under my own steam. 2nd ever trip out there in my own boat and wish I had more knowledge of closer reefs because crikey, its a long way to Barwon for 1 or two fish.

You did OK, but tell me, most of the radio chatter suggests nobody did really well yesterday, was it just an off day? Too many boats?

Scalem

lethal098
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
good stuff Chris, am jealous that i cant fish with my broken finger. at least you got a feed but you did jinx yourself.

cheers Lee

Crunchy
12-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Chris,

That's a good result ( compared to mine)

I went out of Mooloolaba southern ramp amoungst the hoards and straight over to Barwon Banks under my own steam. 2nd ever trip out there in my own boat and wish I had more knowledge of closer reefs because crikey, its a long way to Barwon for 1 or two fish.

You did OK, but tell me, most of the radio chatter suggests nobody did really well yesterday, was it just an off day? Too many boats?

Scalem
Too many boats I reckon Scalem, all trolling around the place, I fished in close for one good sized spotty, 1 grassy and 1 squire....some good shows but the fish were a bit flighty, unless you could find some solitude!

Lovey80
12-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Scalem there was plenty of Fish round on the closer reefs. One boat pulled up just after we got ours and I saw them land 2 nice fish as we were missing the fish with slightly different wind directions affecting our drift. After that it slowed real fast.

I think the timings may have been off also. That spot we got our two 750mm Snapper usually fires on Dusk and Dawn for some reason and if you get a change of tide around that time also you can bag pretty quick. I think if i had of had lines in the water at 430am it would have been gold. Thats what ill try next time. I also want to do a 24hr fish around that same area and take some notes.

I would have liked to stay until about 8pm that night but I only had the 4.3m Webster CC and that wind picking up wasn't nice coming home as it was.

Cheers

Chris

Scalem
12-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Scalem there was plenty of Fish round on the closer reefs. One boat pulled up just after we got ours and I saw them land 2 nice fish as we were missing the fish with slightly different wind directions affecting our drift. After that it slowed real fast.

I think the timings may have been off also. That spot we got our two 750mm Snapper usually fires on Dusk and Dawn for some reason and if you get a change of tide around that time also you can bag pretty quick. I think if i had of had lines in the water at 430am it would have been gold. Thats what ill try next time. I also want to do a 24hr fish around that same area and take some notes.

I would have liked to stay until about 8pm that night but I only had the 4.3m Webster CC and that wind picking up wasn't nice coming home as it was.

Cheers

Chris
I'll get another crack at it the may long weekend, hope the weather will play ball. But I wont be going all the way out to Barwon this time:wut: Would help if I knew the area a bit better, but I'll get there

Scalem

BLOOEY
18-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Lovey80, Can't complain about a couple of big snaps on plastics ,Good fun.I think I saw you at the ramp in the morning(couldn't be that many 4.3m websterc/c's out) Alot of those tuna were stripeys in the bay and the spano's loved them!
Ben

jason p
19-04-2010, 04:57 PM
nice snaps mate, looking forward to getting some of that size this season, have caught alot of undersize in the last few trips. sounds like you may have change the type of knot you r using. always great to get out in the big blue and bring home a nice feed. cheers for the report

jp

Liberty
19-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice work!

jason p
19-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll get another crack at it the may long weekend, hope the weather will play ball. But I wont be going all the way out to Barwon this time:wut: Would help if I knew the area a bit better, but I'll get there

Scalem

hey scalem sure is a trip to reflect on your thoughts heading out to the banks. keep looking cause there is alot of good ground out there but a huge place to explore:o , should start to pick at the banks soon.
theres plenty of action in close at the moment and shaping up to be a good season. alot cheaper on the fuel too.

jp