PDA

View Full Version : Gillies Ockta lures

Jigsrule
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Has anybody experimented with these rubber style jigs? They look like a gem of a lure perfectly imitating a squid or jellyfish which play a major part in the diet of many offshore species including snapper, pelagics and other reefies.

I'm looking at trialing some out during this season's snapper run. I know this style of lure does catch fish as seen with the popular shimano lucanus jigs but wanted to opt for a cheaper alternative. If anybody has had any success with gillies ockta jigs, please share your experience in detail if possible.

Thanks in advance

gr hilly
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
josh have a look at the yabai jig youll find it on you tube Mark Berg is giving them a work out now i do know these jigs do work but i can't find any ive seen people in Canada using them with great success.

cheers hilly

dodgyone
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Octas work just fine.

Horse
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
They work OK but tend to hit bottom a bit and are not very snag proof. It hurts a bit when you break them off compared to a couple of bucks for a plastic

Jigsrule
12-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Cheers for the feedback. It does hurt a bit when you lose these to a snag but I mean you can always find out how snaggy the bottom is by reading the sounder and experimenting by using a paternoster rig first before dropping down an ockta jig. Just a thought.

I have done more research on these via google and youtube and the reviews are unreal. Im very surprised there hasnt been much feedback. Maybe its a hard kept secret.

I will definately be stocking up and giving em a good go:smiley:

Spot82
23-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I use the duel salty rubbers in the glow in the dark colour and these by far are the best that I have used in this style of jig and have the best neon paint out of all of the brands i believe, snapper love them. They are also the most expensive...

On most of these jigs you need to upgrade the hook for any bigger fish as they are quite light.

Anthony