PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Qld State Wide Coverage

QF3 MROCP
10-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Coast Guard Qld State Wide Coverage

Australian Volunteer Coast Guard – Qld are pleased to announce that they are now providing marine assistance state wide along the coastal regions without any additional cost than your current mode of membership.

What they are doing is allowing skippers to be a member of one base, eg. Redcliffe and provide assistance at no cost if you need it, say in the Yeppoon – Keppel Bay region.

Even if you’re a Brisbane member and need help out from Mooloolaba, you won’t be asked for credit card payment – totally state wide coverage!

So if you’re thinking of joining a marine rescue group, consider those in the yellow boats…

tenzing
11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Great News Peter.
We already felt that we got terrific value from our yearly subs. Now even Better.
Cheers.
Brendan

QF3 MROCP
11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
After telling a class of radio students this today, it was an amazing response. Many were appreciative of the new arrangement which puts their safety first and money second.

Thanks to all the thread "thank you" posts... a little thank you goes a long way with AVCG.

top_deck69
12-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

I fish out of the Mouth of the Brisbane River the most (out to Mud mostly) which would be the best coast guard to join? I was thinking Wynnum Manly??

Thanks
Ben

Lucky_Phill
12-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Peter,

That's great news and only if the VMR would also get their act together in a similar way, all would be a safer and better place.

A lot of folks don't even know there is a difference between the AVCG and the VMR.

Maybe a membership to AVCG could be arranged at the time of boat purchase ( new ), similar to " roadside assist " for cars ?

Cheers Phill

top_deck69
12-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Phil,

Being someone newish to boating, what are the differences??

in regards to services costs, hidden costs. better option etc

Thanks Ben

Razgo-
12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I get confused about this also. which VMR to join? My last one i let lapse i was with Gold coast GOLD member VMR. they cover from gold-coast to bribie i think from memory? but when you break down at vic point it would be VMR vic(if its a week-end) point that you would use anyway? so do you join several VMR?

And now we should also join coast guard membership too? its all i little confusing sometimes.

russ

Lucky_Phill
12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Ben,

That is a question better answered by a AVCG or VMR staffer.

IMO, they are very similar.

VMR here :- http://www.vmraq.org.au/default.asp

AVCG here :- http://www.coastguard.com.au/

Cheers.

Marlin_Mike
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi All,

I fish out of the Mouth of the Brisbane River the most (out to Mud mostly) which would be the best coast guard to join? I was thinking Wynnum Manly??

Thanks
Ben\\

you could also go with VMR Sandgate

Razgo-
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
So who do you join when you go from Brisbane river to mud, to peel, to dunwich, to lamb island area, to jacobs & back to Brisbane river?

I go up to indooroopilly sometimes too and that area in general.

Be ideal to have VMR at the port of brisbane.

Spaniard_King
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Phill as a lot of people fish abroad 1770 etc do you think they should join both ??

Lucky_Phill
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Not necessary to join both, I don't think.

The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard, as above now provide assistance State wide.

Thing is, if you leave 1770, VMR Round Hill cover you. You can of course log onto Gladstone , Bundaberg and Hervey Bay VMR for Central Districts.

At this stage, the AVCG website is under maintenance and I cannot give details of their coverage.

Both are great organisations and need all the assist we can give them to help keep us safe.

The shared membership is a complicated one, as some stations attract big numbers of members and therefore funding to provide funding for training etc, whereas some smaller stations struggle to get funding.

All Stations receive some sort of funding via the Government, but the funds managers of the organisation are the ones that distribute those funds. That distribution has been a bone of contention for some time. Some folks within the VMR have tried to have the State wide coverage with all membership funds being pooled and distributed evenly, but to no avail.

You can take out Water Side Assist with both or neither. No membership does not disqualify you from assistance, it is just that you'll receive a bill upon touching solid ground that can add up.

The fees start at about $55 / hour and up to $180 per hour of rescue.

So, a miserly, $55 yearly fee seems like a good investment.

Let's remember, that both these groups are manned by volunteers who sometimes put their lives at risk to help those in genuine trouble and also those that do stupid things.

To make their lives easier, simply log on AND off every time you venture out in your boat and do your pre trip safety checks, including checking flares, life jackets, EPIRB etc.

LP.

Lucky_Phill
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I should have mentioned that VMR Victoria Point have " reciprocal arrangements " with:-

VMR Bribie Island
VMR Brisbane (Sandgate)
VMR North Stradbroke
VMR Raby Bay
VMR Victoria Point
VMR Jacobs Well
VMR Southport

LP.

QF3 MROCP
12-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I just want to emphasise that coverage is ONLY within AVCG membership. As Phil has indicated, there is no group coverage with the Qld marine rescue groups.

Coast Guard Southport
Coast Guard Redland Bay
Coast Guard Brisbane
Coast Guard Redcliffe
Coast Guard Caloundra
Coast Guard Mooloolaba
Coast Guard Noosa
Coast Guard Tin Can Bay
Coast Guard Sandy Straits
Coast Guard Keppel Sands
Coast Guard Yeppoon
Coast Guard Rockhampton
Coast Guard Thirsty Sound
Coast Guard Townsville
Coast Guard Ingham
Coast Guard Cardwell
Coast Guard Tully
Coast Guard Innisfail
Coast Guard Cairns
Coast Guard Port Douglas
Coast Guard Cooktown
Coast Guard Cape York

QF3 MROCP
12-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Not necessary to join both, I don't think.

No membership does not disqualify you from assistance, it is just that you'll receive a bill upon touching solid ground that can add up.

LP.

Phil, AVCG Redcliffe can only ask for a contribution by donation for helping out. You make a good point too, that we will all help regardless if a skipper is a member or not. SOLAS - safety of life at sea

QF3 MROCP
12-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi All,

Thanks
Ben

Good choice Ben, my nold stomping ground

Phone: (07) 3396 5911. Fax: (07) 3393-4080

QF3 MROCP
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
So who do you join when you go from Brisbane river to mud, to peel, to dunwich, to lamb island area, to jacobs & back to Brisbane river?

I go up to indooroopilly sometimes too and that area in general.

Be ideal to have VMR at the port of brisbane.

CG Brisbane look after the region, inc the river - give them a call on the weekend for more details:

QF3 MROCP
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Phil,

Being someone newish to boating, what are the differences??

in regards to services costs, hidden costs. better option etc

Thanks Ben

Ben, If you want more details regarding Coast Guard, especially if you're in Morningside, send me a PM and I'll call you or ring CG Brisbane on the weekend:

BE ASSURED THERE ARE NO "HIDDEN COSTS" when it comes to assistance. We mostly wear short sleeve shirts, so nothing to hide..:smiley: :smiley:

top_deck69
13-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Peter

PM sent

Ben

whiteman
13-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm confused. Can I assume that the rescue outfits located at Townsville and Lucinda are coast guards and are not part of the state wide coverage - or not?

Lucky_Phill
13-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm confused. Can I assume that the rescue outfits located at Townsville and Lucinda are coast guards and are not part of the state wide coverage - or not?

To unconfuse you.

The Coast Guard ( AVCG = Australian Volunteer Coast Guard ) has squardons at Townsville and Lucinda, as per the previous post, and as the initial post states, the coverage IS State wide for AVCG membership.

Australian Volunteer Coast Guard are a different organisation than the Volunteer Marine Rescue Association Queensland.

That is AVCG and VMRAQ.

When you're out on the water you may hear different log in details like :-

" Coast Guard Mooloolaba.......Coast Guard Mooloolaba...Coast Guard Mooloolaba ".... obviously calling the Coast Guard ( AVCG )

or

" VMR Bribie Island......VMR Bribie Island..... VMR Bribie Island "

You may also hear a call like " VMR 455 .. VMR 455.. VMR 455 " This pertains to the squadron number, rather than location name.

Yes, it can get confusing and I would really like to see the Volunteer Rescue services in Queensland come under the one umbrella. Doesn't matter what the name is.

IMO, this can be achieved but certain ' personalities ' must compromise and swallow a bit of pride. No need to get into a debate about this, and there are many more people here more entrenched in the running of both organisations that know a lot more than me, about these matters.

A lot more can be done in relation to awareness of these groups by the Government, by simply adding a leaflet to every boat rego renewal with relevant details of both groups, or should the case arise of a union of those groups. Maybe that is too easy ?

We could also go down the track of nipping a small % to the PPV, say $5 and divert that monies to a trust for the water rescue groups. Let's see, 235,000 rec vessels registered in Qld @ $5.... 1,175,000 dollars into the coffers of our very important rescue groups. Divide that up between the 47 combined groups, and that is 25,000 each. Grab $10 from the PPV and it's 50K for each squadron. That'll help.

In case that sounds too much, think of the Boat and Boat Trailer rego increases in Qld over the last 2 years amounted to almost 200%..... added an extra 35.25mill dollars into the State coffers and none, nil, nought, nudda, nuffin, coming back into our industry..................... bet that'll make ya day !!!

Cheers Phill

tropicrows
13-04-2010, 01:06 PM
So I am a member of a VMR.

Now if I need help one day and there is "NO" VMR in that area, BUT their is "AVCG" will I have to pay for there services ???

Bros
13-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I wish the AVCG the best of luck as VMR has tried to do that on two occasions and it didn't get off the ground. One of the Moreton Bay VMR's tried it with their Gold membership but abandoned it.

I personally believe it is a great idea but internal politics creats an impossible hurdle.

nelton87
13-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Phil,

With Reference to the following,

"We could also go down the track of nipping a small % to the PPV, say $5 and divert that monies to a trust for the water rescue groups. Let's see, 235,000 rec vessels registered in Qld @ $5.... 1,175,000 dollars into the coffers of our very important rescue groups. Divide that up between the 47 combined groups, and that is 25,000 each. Grab $10 from the PPV and it's 50K for each squadron. That'll help."

I know this was suggested a while ago and got approval for it to be implemented into the Registration, The problem was the Qld Transport were prepared to place a $50.00 increase on the rego providing they kept $ 45.00 for administration purposes.

I for one would love to see the $ 50.00 increase providing 100% went into a pool for use only by the Rescue Services and that would solve the problem for funding in Qld.

Also for knowledge VMRAQ wanted to discuss the possibility of joining VMRAQ and AVCG into one organisation but the AVCG big wigs from down south did not allow there senior management to talk about the possibility of a merger.

It is only a matter of time and there will be one organisation in Qld, You only need to look at NSW to see it is working.

Also Coast Guard Brisbane advised that CG Redland Bay is not part of the State Wide Agreement.

The big problem in relation to reciprocal rights is that in Nth Qld a tow can sometimes go for 10 to 20 Hours and that uses incredible amounts of fuel.
Where a tow in Moreton Bay averages 1 hour and uses alot less in fuel.

Please place a business hat on and tell me how you can fund this service so it is equal to all for a mere $ 50.00 membership fee, I am in business myself and as much as I think it is great idea the volunteers need to recover cost's atleast.

To reinterate the funding from Govt is approx $21,000 per year for each base and atleast 1/3 of this goes on insurance let alone operating cost's.

One day soon hopefully we can get the three parties to agree that is AVCG, VMRAQ and the Qld Govt. One day it will Happen!

Cheers
Nelton

Lucky_Phill
13-04-2010, 05:13 PM
So I am a member of a VMR.

Now if I need help one day and there is "NO" VMR in that area, BUT their is "AVCG" will I have to pay for there services ???

As stated above, the fees that are due from a rescue are a voluntary payment to cover costs.

There is a set fee for hourly rate that is a guide used by VMR's and CG's, but again, that fee is voluntary. I for one, would pay such a fee. No questions.

LP.

charleville
13-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, it can get confusing and I would really like to see the Volunteer Rescue services in Queensland come under the one umbrella. Doesn't matter what the name is.

IMO, this can be achieved but certain ' personalities ' must compromise and swallow a bit of pride. No need to get into a debate about this,

I have to say that even in the opening post to this good news thread, I had the feeling that there is open competition for membership between the rival organisations when I read the line "So if you’re thinking of joining a marine rescue group, consider those in the yellow boats…"

Indeed, I had never thought of it before that the VMR boats are blue and white whilst the coastguard boats are yellow.

Deary, deary me! Is this all some sort of "Dad's Army" Homeguard versus the ARP jealousy between pompous old Captain Mainwarings who mean well but cannot let go of their egos for the public good? It sure seems like it to the casual observer.

I have been a willing contributor to both the Manly Coastguard and the Jacobs Well VMR just to ensure that I was covered in the areas where I go fishing but it all just seems so silly when you hear the various VMRs and Coastguards make their starting announcements for the day over the marine radio and the overlaps around Moreton Bay seem plain silly.

If ever there was an issue that the various fishers, shooters and others who want to play in the political circles ought to address, it is the confusion and inefficiencies that rein because there are two competing organisations. If ever there was an issue worthy of government intervention, it has to be this one.

It is just as bad as religions all competing to save the same souls.

brisbane_boy
13-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Is there any set amount of rescues you can have per year before being asked to pay, mainly wondering how coastguard cope with those who break down constantly, 55 bucks wouldnt go far.

Bros
13-04-2010, 09:32 PM
It is only a matter of time and there will be one organisation in Qld, You only need to look at NSW to see it is working.

Be interesting as some if not all of the top level of VMR and CG could lose their jobs. It was people protecting their patch which held back union amalgamation for many years.

Please place a business hat on and tell me how you can fund this service so it is equal to all for a mere $ 50.00 membership fee, I am in business myself and as much as I think it is great idea the volunteers need to recover cost's atleast.

Do I read it right that you expect the state wide coverage to fail or am I reading it wrong?

One day soon hopefully we can get the three parties to agree that is AVCG, VMRAQ and the Qld Govt. One day it will Happen!

Cheers
Nelton

Don't hold your breath as too many people have a vested interest in it staying the way it is.

Flex
13-04-2010, 09:54 PM
So, Im about to start travelling all over QLD and go offshore.

Who should I join and whats the details of each area?

Im a tad newish to radio use, I'll be boating from 1770 right up to cook town. How do you know who to call and what mob to join at each place?

If i join this new statewide coast guard, and I covered all along the coast?

Their website is down atm too

BaitThrower
16-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Is there any set amount of rescues you can have per year before being asked to pay, mainly wondering how coastguard cope with those who break down constantly, 55 bucks wouldnt go far.

With VMR you get 1 free tow/rescue per year I believe (if you have membership/waterside assist club membership). Any after this will have you looking at a voluntary bill for service.

Razgo-
16-04-2010, 11:35 AM
A friend of mine got towed 3 times last year and wasn't charged anything at all.

that was from wave break to paradise point canals.

QF3 MROCP
17-04-2010, 08:51 AM
A friend of mine got towed 3 times last year and wasn't charged anything at all.

that was from wave break to paradise point canals.

Razgo

Did your freind offer a donation for the tows? I get the feeling your freind is proud of his acheivement.

I've had a skipper tell me the same thing after he was overdue by 3hrs -on one occassion he was proud of the fact that one of the tree assist calls required the Rescue 500 helicopter to came looking for him...

Even if you are or not a member, a donation goes a long way....

QF3 MROCP
17-04-2010, 03:23 PM

QF3 Townsville and Lucinda (QF3 Ingham) are part of the Qld Australian Volunteer CG network and therefore if you are a member of either two, you're covered in the state wide plan..

Razgo-
17-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Razgo

Did your freind offer a donation for the tows? I get the feeling your freind is proud of his acheivement.

I've had a skipper tell me the same thing after he was overdue by 3hrs -on one occassion he was proud of the fact that one of the tree assist calls required the Rescue 500 helicopter to came looking for him...

Even if you are or not a member, a donation goes a long way....

he was told he didnt have to pay. And no your feeling and judgements on him are unfounded.

He was not proud of being broken down and needing a tow. If anything he was highly embarrassed.

I have no idea why he was told he didn't have to pay anything as i told him as far as i knew you had to pay for the fuel costs.

He is a Gold Member of VMR Southport so he does make donations.

russ

krazyfisher
17-04-2010, 07:03 PM
VMR mackay will give you a bill everytime member or not just less money if your a member, about half. I join because it is a good thing to have If I had to pay to get towed I dont care well worth it I go 60-80k's out thats just too far to row

Angryant
20-04-2010, 05:55 AM
So where can I get an application form to join AVCG. I can't seem to find one on their website (or am I going blind due to old age)?

hsv 408
20-04-2010, 04:37 PM
So where can I get an application form to join AVCG. I can't seem to find one on their website (or am I going blind due to old age)?

Just ring them pay over the phone.

QF3 MROCP
20-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Angryant:

coast guard web site now have membership online:

http://www.coastguard.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=assoc

or phone:

Brisbane
Base Numbers
Phone: (07) 3203 5522
Fax: (07) 3880 0592

Redland Bay
Base Numbers
Phone: (07) 3206 7777
Fax: (07) 3206 7677

Safe Boating - SOLAS

Angryant
22-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Just for info - I applied online this morning and I received an email later in the day advising the following:

"Dear Andrew,
Thank you for using the new AVCG website, but the AVCG website is in TESTING MODE ONLY and NO ORDERS or transactions will be processed over the next three weeks.
Kind regards
-------------------------------------------------------
Milan Nikolich
National Captain PR / Marketing"

so I guess I will have to phone and give my credit card number. Is there a number I can call during the week or is the AVGC Brisbane (Manly) only manned for administration tasks on the weekend as well?
Andrew

QF3 MROCP
24-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Just for info - I applied online this morning and I received an email later in the day advising the following:

"Dear Andrew,
Thank you for using the new AVCG website, but the AVCG website is in TESTING MODE ONLY and NO ORDERS or transactions will be processed over the next three weeks.
Kind regards
-------------------------------------------------------
Milan Nikolich
National Captain PR / Marketing"

so I guess I will have to phone and give my credit card number. Is there a number I can call during the week or is the AVGC Brisbane (Manly) only manned for administration tasks on the weekend as well?
Andrew

I assume the admin volunteers are there over the weekend. Sorry the web site was not ready - news to me as well...

Thanks for wanting to apply.. Brisbane will appreciate the membership..

ANY issue, give a call at the Redcliffe base Sunday..3203 5522 or leave a message anytime there and I'll follow it up for you...

Angryant
24-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks Peter.
All done, I faxed off the application form this morning.

Cheers,
Andrew

liltuffy
25-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but with a bigger boat in tow now I'm planning on venturing further afield.

I'm looking at joining Marine Assist with Coast Guard Manly for a fee of $70 (seems cheap to me) but I'm a bit sceptical on the deal and I need to get some facts straight......

1. Anywhere along the Qld coast covered by CG will see a little yellow boat come over the horizon if I've lost propulsion for instance ??
2. What happens if I break down on a Wednesday morning ???
3. Even thoughthis thread is 2 years old the CG website is still broken ?!?!?!

Any advice from those in the know please

Craig

LittleSkipper
25-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but with a bigger boat in tow now I'm planning on venturing further afield.

I'm looking at joining Marine Assist with Coast Guard Manly for a fee of $70 (seems cheap to me) but I'm a bit sceptical on the deal and I need to get some facts straight......

1. Anywhere along the Qld coast covered by CG will see a little yellow boat come over the horizon if I've lost propulsion for instance ??
2. What happens if I break down on a Wednesday morning ???
3. Even thoughthis thread is 2 years old the CG website is still broken ?!?!?!

Any advice from those in the know please

Craig

The Coast Guard website isn't broken Craig, click on this link www.coastguard.com.au or when you click on the link that was in the thread remove the /Product...ductCode=assoc at the end of the address.