PDA

View Full Version : NQ reds are on the boil

googarra
10-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Done a late run last night from Tully Heads out to the of north Yamacutta reef with two mates and anchored up for the night. Anchor hit the reef at around 9.30pm and it was all on, could not get a spell, didn't have a beer.

As soon as the squid bait hit the bottom at 35 metres hang on and try to wind the overhead. I would had lost 10 or more huge big mouth nannygai as they just smashed the 80ld braid like it was cotton.

This didn't stop all night for the three of us but I hit the bunk at 2.00am.

I have never seen the fish on like this before, for every 4 or 5 fish in the boat, only one was only one keeper and we just kept the better fish.

We would have boated more than 20 Chinamen around the 900mm to a metre, about the same for tea leaf trevally, absolutely stuffed and had the rod pointing down into the water and needed a tag team rescue heaps of times (bad back).

We wern't greedy, just kept what was a good catch for 3 people sharing 140 litres of fuel.

The grandson was really impressed with the catch, but not the smell, us or the boat.

NQ will be on the boil for the next few days with near perfect conditions. Should see lots of reports from this weekend. Cairns and Townsville fishos will be in heaven this weekend.

30 kg of Emperor and Nannygai boneless fillets out of this catch.

Cheers

murf
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
sweet :)

cheers Murf

Ratman
10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice haul there brother. Some serious sun protection on the Signature.

Thanks for the report,

Mick

googarra
10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Was a Gold Coast Boat, sleek looking rig for an offshore cruiser, but not that practical for up here. Sun can cook you one minute, 2" of rain the next.

Very common canopy up here. Gutted it and went from this

To this

To this

Much better for fishing, but liked the previous look better

Fish_gutz
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
canopy looks the goods , I need one of them for my CC, nice haul of red there, and is that a nice reef jack up the top? Cheers and well done. Andrew

bondy99
10-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Greetings Googarra.

Well done mate, nice to see someone get a good feed.

I always had the notion the further north one goes from Brisbane, the better quality and colour of fish and big ones too.

Nice boat converting too, a lot of hard work involved no doubt but very rewarding to see the end result.

I take my hat of to you.

Cheers, Peter

odes20
11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Ha Ha! The chinas and tea leaf smashed you hey! I know the feelin! Both those fish are brutal and unrelenting, all the way to the surface. Probaly a few serious tangle ups from the trevors as well?

Did you get many undersize Large mouth?

Hoping to get out Monday off Cairns real early so fingers crossed. Been finding Nannies in the early morn lately. I have the same style canopy on my Yalta Odessa You may have seen it. They arnt the prettiest but fantastic with few obstructions.

Thanks again for the report

Cheers
John

googarra
11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Ha Ha! The chinas and tea leaf smashed you hey! I know the feelin! Both those fish are brutal and unrelenting, all the way to the surface. Probaly a few serious tangle ups from the trevors as well?

Did you get many undersize Large mouth?

Hoping to get out Monday off Cairns real early so fingers crossed. Been finding Nannies in the early morn lately. I have the same style canopy on my Yalta Odessa You may have seen it. They arnt the prettiest but fantastic with few obstructions.

Thanks again for the report

Cheers
John

All the Red epms are over 60, the Jack at the top about the 50 mark.

Not many undersize caught at all, even very few pickers. It was just - Chinaman, teal leaf, chinaman, big red - then start the cycle over again.

Cheers

Dean1
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Awsome stuff mate sounds like you have yourself some kickass country up there!

Sounded like a perfect trip enjoy eating them bet you cant wait for the next trip ;)

mangomick
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Very nice haul mate. Were you slabbing the tea leaf for the nannies or did you stick with the squid?

googarra
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Let all the Trevally go, just used a large chunk of squid with a half pilly teaser on as well.

Cheers

Redrocks
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't envy you with the Chinaman. They do everything right until you see them up close.

Great haul mate, thanks for the pics.

Redrocks

blueline
13-04-2010, 05:32 PM
top stuff mate, well done.
i agree we need big canopy's up here.