PDA

View Full Version : SeaJay Territory

Kondo 1
08-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi All,

A few weeks back I took the plunge and ordered a new SeaJay territory 4.55.

Its not too far off now, and I am fitting it out myself and wondering if anyone has any pics of how they have fitted their territorys out? Or for that matter any other open boats.

Now I have read through all the old posts with similar content and I have fitted out boats before to varying degrees but I figure you can never have too many ideas and I would love to see how you other blokes have fitted your rigs out.

Cheers, have a good one.

Leighton
08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I have modified the standard Territory casting deck by lengthening it by 400mm, this gives me a bit more storage. I have also cut a hatch in the floor for further more starage
Will take some pics tomorrow, hopefully painted in Wahoo blood!

Flex
09-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Best thing you can do is firstly remove the flooring. CHeck they have coated the bottom of the hull inside with clearcoat all over(it should be). If not grab some penetrol or even tektyl and do it yourself.

Secondly I wrapped all my foam in heavy duty garbage bags, fully sealed them up.
I rekon this is really important in the territory especially, as they have that fuel rack up under the bow. Any spilt fuel goes straight down below and will melt that foam faster than you can" bugger".

I had a mate with a 4.3 seajay and his underfloor tank ruptured and melted all of his foam into a goo, almost ruined his boat

bennyboy
09-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Sea Jay definatly put a clear sealer under the floor. They also now use a different foam that is petrol resistant.

There are new regulations coming in that require any foam that come in contact with the floor to use petrol resistant foam. Of course with boats not all manufacturers do things by the book. If a rival brand is cheaper there is usually a good reason for it.

Sea Jay's aren't the cheapest but they definatley do things properly!

goanna1
09-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Best to get some of the stuff you want when they built it for instance. 60 litre under floor tank, lift sounder braket to half way up the rib. The standard mount is too low and maskes the sounder hard to see. I also had them make the fuel tank hatch bigger so i could fit my 80 liter esky in but I should have got them to flaten the rack it took a long time to grind the angle line down. I did have the advantage of having to work on my brother sea 4.35

Good luck

Goanna

Kondo 1
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Best to get some of the stuff you want when they built it for instance. 60 litre under floor tank, lift sounder braket to half way up the rib. The standard mount is too low and maskes the sounder hard to see. I also had them make the fuel tank hatch bigger so i could fit my 80 liter esky in but I should have got them to flaten the rack it took a long time to grind the angle line down. I did have the advantage of having to work on my brother sea 4.35

Good luck

Goanna

Cheers Mate,

Mate looks great - pretty similar setup to what I am thinking.

I did option the underfloor fuel tank - it was an afterthought and got in just in time fortunately, however I am still having the fuel line run to the stanadard tank location so i can Run a second independant fuel source when up north. Also freat spot to store all my gear under the hatch. Good Idea with the esky - hadn't thought of that, though I do have a 130 odd litre esky for the spaniards which would be a big mod :)

I did consider getting the front casting deck Modded the same as the Tropic, i think it has a Kill tnk in place of the fuel tank up the front - though I decided I wanted the option for starage or Fuel tank instead.

How much range do you get out of yours with the underfloor fuel tank? What size motor?? still go alright with the heavier load??

I have 2 HDS 7's for the helm, so wont fit on the sounder plate, thinking i might put both on RAM mounts?? Also have a HDS 5 for the bow, hopefully get some good results with the Structure Scan :)

Also going to get a casting platfrom built in down the back - I need something to enclose the 2 batteries, deckwash and mount the bait tank - also some more storage in the middle if the plan I have in my head can translate to reality :) anyone put one in on their territorys??

Cheers Goanna - great setup you have there.

novice23
09-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Great choice of boat!
Mine has a 50hp with electric start / trim and tilt - do yourself a favour and get it, it makes life so much easier.

I've added led lights - one row under the side pockets, in the live bait tank and under the hatches; and another under the gunnels- on 2 separate switches.

My live bait tank is welded into the back left corner so my left side pocket is a bit shorter.

If i had any complaints about the boat i reckon the anchor well is too small.

goanna1
09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
The range of the tank is a bit unknown I need to make up a dip stick for it. and I keept adding fuel as the trip progressed Its a long story. I keep a standard yamaha tank at the back of the boat as my reserve till I learn to trust the under floor tank. The poor thing had a baptism of fire heavly loaded and rough conditions the seajay laped it up . I have a 50 yamaha 4 stroke. Which performed very well given the conditions. My bait tank is portable some times if you a crabing it is just a nusance i have a separate power out let for the bait tank. I just use a large nally tub for a kill box its is easy to wash over the side.

Jackinthebox
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Sounder & gps on ram brackets works great, this is how i built my Stacer.

You can also get the radio a bit higher & out of the way using the ally bar between the side deck supports in picture 2.

Cheers,

Mick.

Leighton
09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
my set up.
pretty basic but functional and plenty of storage

Kondo 1
09-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Cheers fellas, some top setups there.

I also went the F50 yamaha, seemed the logical choice with what I wanted.

What sorts of speeds are u blokes getting at cruise??

Dropped in today to visualise a few things - seemed my trailer had just turned up so had a real good look over that, pretty impressed with it, sort of came up a little better than I was expecting which is handy.

Leighton
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
top speed of about 55km/hr but cruises nicely about 36km/hr

Kondo 1
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
top speed of about 55km/hr but cruises nicely about 36km/hr

Cheers mate - not too bad at all, only slightly slower than what I have now, though it is probably to be expected.

I dare say at 30 knots it is probably a little better behaved than the current rig.

frankgrimes
09-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Will take some pics tomorrow, hopefully painted in Wahoo blood!

Get any hoo or macs mate? was out thurs, but had a shocker!

Flex
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I have a 4.55 SP model.

another thing I did was rip all the carpet off!!. but thats a personal choice. Who's ever dropped a lure into marine carpet?

I then acrylic sealed all the marine ply with non slip paint. Then I put all the timber back in and siliconed all around the edges to seal the deck(execpt for the back hatch to let water into the Bilge)

If you want carpet you can put it down ontop after

A know a few other people with seajay boats. And the amount of leaves,swivles,scales and crap that gets down that little gap on the side is amazing.

Least with a sealed deck you wont have decomposing crap in your hull

Leighton
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Get any hoo or macs mate? was out thurs, but had a shocker!

only saw 1 hoo boated all morning, I dropped something with teeth and thats it for 5 hours trolling. Horrible conditions with wind against current

goanna1
11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I have a 4.55 SP model.

another thing I did was rip all the carpet off!!. but thats a personal choice. Who's ever dropped a lure into marine carpet?

I then acrylic sealed all the marine ply with non slip paint. Then I put all the timber back in and siliconed all around the edges to seal the deck(execpt for the back hatch to let water into the Bilge)

If you want carpet you can put it down ontop after

A know a few other people with seajay boats. And the amount of leaves,swivles,scales and crap that gets down that little gap on the side is amazing.

Least with a sealed deck you wont have decomposing crap in your hull

How did you get on with casting deck and the hatches?? I know that the carpet is bitch to clean when you get sand in it. Do you have photos. can you be more specific on the paint you used>

Flex
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
How did you get on with casting deck and the hatches?? I know that the carpet is bitch to clean when you get sand in it. Do you have photos. can you be more specific on the paint you used>

I have the SP model, so its a flat floor and a bit easier.

But my cousin has a territory and he did the same. He simply used some 40mm aluminium angle along the top and bottom edge of the platform to give it a nice seal.

As for the hatch, he glued a square bit of rubber on it and cut it 1 inch larger than the hatch. This stops most of the crap getting down the edges and also helps with grip.

As for pics, dont have any of my cousins boat on me currently.

goanna1
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
The carpet is nice to walk on there is no doubt. Gets hot on the feet though. how does the none slip paint go for that?? I usually use sikaflex to seal anything on a aluminium boat as silicone can be corrosive. But you have me thinking.

goanna

Flex
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
The carpet is nice to walk on there is no doubt. Gets hot on the feet though. how does the none slip paint go for that?? I usually use sikaflex to seal anything on a aluminium boat as silicone can be corrosive. But you have me thinking.

goanna

Silicone is fine as long as its neutral cure. But sikaflex would be just as good.
I use a simple low sheen acrylic paint with the mix in non skid grit. Since owning my boat from 2007 I have only just recoated the deck. So you should get 2 years + from each coat.

I found it was significantly cooler than carpet. I spent 3 weeks at whitsundays in xmas when I first got my boat and the carpet was unbearable. Even when you throw some water on it to cool it down it tends to steam.

The painted deck does get warm, but nothing like the scorching heat of carpet. It wont look as nice as carpet, due to scuff marks. But if its a fishing boat your after its alot more practical I've found.
Plus my boat never smells like rotten fish like all other carpet boats:)

If you have a carpet boat that doesn't smell, then you haven't caught fish in it yet ;D

Another option..

I have a mate with a 4.4 mako boat. He sealed his floor totally and put small scuppers in and got that spray on rubber you can get for inside of ute trays. Cost him about $300 but it works a treat and completely seals his hull.

goanna1
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Try a cast net add crabbing mix with fish scales mullet bait and cod vomit your carpet will stink add about 10 inches of rain over 4 days at Hinchinbrook it smells sweet.

goanna

Kondo 1
26-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Sounder & gps on ram brackets works great, this is how i built my Stacer.

You can also get the radio a bit higher & out of the way using the ally bar between the side deck supports in picture 2.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Mate,

Whereabouts did u get the alloy strip from in pic 2??

Or does anyone know where I might be able to buy some cut to size in North Brisbane??

Picked up the boat saturday, took it for a run on Sunday and very impressed. Was a litle disappointed initially until I jumped in the old boat (which we also had out) and was instantly very happy after the seeing the difference side by side. However I do think my motor may need to come up a hole, probably a shade over an inch of water running over the anti cav plate.

Will get some pics up int he next few days after I have made some progress.