PDA

View Full Version : 15.04 kg Snapper

Angla
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
WooHoo.

I have returned from the Australian Snapper Fishing Championship in Whyalla SA.
and that is a lesson in different styles of fishing.

This was the first comp I have ever entered and it's interesting to pickup some of the different tactics of species specific fishing.

Soft plastics had NO takers.

We, My self my brother and his son, Fished the day before the comp and three days of the comp to only find a mixed bag of sharks and rays. Then the day after the comp we found 13 snapper from the legal size of 38cm up to a respectable 72cm (roughly 4-5kg). I did pull a bit hard on a few fish and found that their lips tear easily, and that's how I missed some nice fish for sure.

Fish of the tournament went to a local who caught it on the second day and while telling tales of the fight to his mates, missed the closing of the scales for the day. He returned in the morning with the fish iced down overnight and found the fish had lost 0.5 kg so the fish was officially weighed the next day as 15.04kg. Still clearly the winner as the next fish was in the 13 kilo range.

I am planning a trip back next year.

Cheers
Chris

lethal098
07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
well done Chris, they certainly fight and eat differently to our snapper. Well done
chers Lee

DAVE_S
07-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I seen the dvd steel city snapper the hunt for big red , and boy do they get some big snapper down there .

jason p
07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
nice haul of snaps chris well done, you have to laugh at that one hay, catching all those snaps the day after the snapper comp ends lol. good fishing all the same.

jp

Bigash
07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Chris
give me a yell next year, i maybe able to help you out
chees
BigAsh

vertico
07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
top stuff mate well done!

Angla
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey Chris
give me a yell next year, i maybe able to help you out
chees
BigAsh

I have seen plenty of your action and photos.

Were you at the comp at all this year?

Chris

Manjilad
17-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your top report - "and that's fishin' eh". What a top experience and effort you all made and represented our state too. That was a great start, keep building and the prize will be yours soon. Cheers Manjilad

Bigash
02-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I have seen plenty of your action and photos.

Were you at the comp at all this year?

Chris

Nah Chris
didn't go up there at all, just got a $30 ticket in a jetski raffle.
stayed home & caught whiting/squid all weekend.
theres a lot more snapper getting around down here now, come in thick & fast in most areas
cheers
BigAsh

Angla
02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Thats a bit of a quandry there Bigash.
Do I stay with the comp for the challenge of catching a snapper or alter my timings to suit the fish and have a better chance of a result. I would probably prefer to stay within the comp and test my ability to find and then catch the winner. it's a social thing too.
I will be calling on your experience closer to the start of next years comp if you don't mind.

Meanwhile I will just have to be content with your videos

Cheers
Chris

Darren J
09-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi guys,.
Interesting to read what is happening down that way. I actually have a chance to get up there around late June/early July and was thinking of trying to jump a local charter and go out for a day. Is that a good time for snapper in that area?
Any hints on some local operators?

Thanks.
Darren

Angla
09-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,.
Interesting to read what is happening down that way. I actually have a chance to get up there around late June/early July and was thinking of trying to jump a local charter and go out for a day. Is that a good time for snapper in that area?
Any hints on some local operators?

Thanks.
Darren

I have just done a one off visit to the area, and was very impressed, but if you really want to get onto a fish then Bigash is probably your man. Have a look at his other threads and I am sure you will find him a mind of information.

Cheers
Chris

ddobson
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I am going to wyalla in 2 weeks to bag me a big one. You said plastics didn,t go as well as bait eh. I was bringing down some 7 inch plastics to try in there waters as i do well in our bay and now with my new plate console i will be out with you guys soon once i am set up with epirb colour sounder ect. Good haul of reds for you. ell done.

Angla
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I am going to wyalla in 2 weeks to bag me a big one. You said plastics didn,t go as well as bait eh. I was bringing down some 7 inch plastics to try in there waters as i do well in our bay and now with my new plate console i will be out with you guys soon once i am set up with epirb colour sounder ect. Good haul of reds for you. ell done.

I flicked around 7" nuke chooks and a few other popular colours but gave up in the end and used their tried and proven methods. Hauling a fish to the surface is also a No No. Gentle as she goes is the way it seems.

Good Luck
Chris

Jarrah Jack
12-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Have some mates who fish there a bit. they don't use braid for the same reason. The nylon has a bit of give and is easier on the fish.