PDA

View Full Version : Lake Burrendong Classic produces Magic Fishing!

poddy mullet
06-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Over 500 keen anglers ventured to Lake Burrendong over the Easter break to try their luck in the inaugural Lake Burrendong Classic catch and release fishing competition. Sports fisherman and woman travelled from across New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria to compete for a share in $23,000 worth of prizes in the name of a good cause, as all proceeds generated by the event were flagged for native fish restocking projects.
Organisers of the event could not be happier with the support the competition received with the high level of entries cementing the competition on the Australian recreational fishing calendar.
Lake Burrendong was blessed with weather that could be described as nothing short of magnificent with beautiful sunshine, glass like conditions on the water and a pleasant temperature making for excellent fishing. Come presentation time at 3pm on Easter Sunday afternoon, it was standing room only in the massive 45 X 15 meter marquee provided by the team at Aussie Country Catering Gulgong, as anglers from across the country gathered in the hope of taking home a cut of the healthy prize pool.
Families, social groups, fishing clubs and both the young and old were in attendance, and competed in the five species categories, casting competitions and lucky door prize draws.
The fishing did not disappoint with the bulk of the fish coming from the Macquarie Arm of the lake. Both Lures and bait worked well with those choosing to fish the tight structure doing the best.
Offers of support and prizes have already began to flow in for next years event with donations and some very impressive goods and services being donated by businesses and people keen to throw their support behind the not for profit initiative.
Thank you very much to all the committee, supporters, and volunteers who gave up so much time on their to marshal, man the catering facilities, and make sure that the event ran smoothly.
Results for the competition were as follows:
Junior:
Catfish: 1st Noah Cox 55.5cm
2nd josh Pawsey 55.5cm (on count back )
Golden Perch/Yellowbelly 1st Andrew Doherty 53cm
2nd Jack Bowd 52.7cm
Carp 1st: Juan Meintyes 74cm

Open Category: Redfin 1st Graeme Wallace 42cm
Senior:
Golden Perch/Yellowbelly 1st Nigel Bourke 59.5cm
2nd Peter Merriman 58.7cm
Murray Cod: 1st Lauchlan Cole 67cm
Silver Perch: 1st Scott Pipin 39cm
2nd Kathy Begg 35cm
Catfish: 1st Garry Williams 58cm
2nd Tom Houghton 57cm

SeekingBarradise
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Well done Matt it's good to see the weekend went off well.
The local community would have benefitted greatly from the event.

That near 60cm Yella is some fish.

Cheers Lyndon.

Kayak1
07-04-2010, 07:40 AM
poddy mullet looks like the weekend went well . I was unable to make it but will be down this week and giving it a go will be fishing the dam for the next 2 weeks. maybe able to meet up

Paul

poddy mullet
07-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Kayak 1, the best advice I can give you mate is head for Oakey CReek, look for submerged trees in 8-10 Meters and tie on a TN 50 or 60 in Mat Black. I was running about like a chook with my head cut of running the comp, but my mates reckon they pulled 18 fish of a certain snag up there....

Lyndon, Hope You are well mate. They tell me awonga is loking amazing with all that rain ay! How is life up that way??

Regards, Matt