PDA

View Full Version : A question for brisbane river fishing

ankhfairy
06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Do you think that Queensland government has clearly defined legal and illegal fishing spots along Brisbane River?

I'm doing a story for my University assignment. :smash:

Hope to hear everyone's views on this one.

Lucky_Phill
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Tell us where you viewed the " illegal " fishing spots, or your interpretation of these spots.

Also, you will have to define ' fishing '. The term ' fishing ' pertains to commercial activity. Angling is what amateurs do or more so ' recreational fishing '.

Further, is the State government the only authority that regulates the Brisbane River ? What department regulates it ?

Maybe you could be a little more specific in what information you are after.

LP.

b j p
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Geez you complicate things Phill :)

No, I don't think they have. If a new person to the area put their boat in the water and went for a fish, they wouldn't not know where they could and could not fish easily. Is there a solution to this? I don't think so. Short of putting brightly covered beacons with flashing neon signs. Even the protected areas in the bay, you have to curious enough to wander over to a sign and almost run into it before you can read what it says.

That said, in most things in live you should be aware of what you're doing before you do it and when it comes to boating this should include searching for information about the areas you're venturing into. However, in my humble opinion the majority of boaties don't even know which side of a marker to drive on, or which side to pass on, let alone recently changed protection zones.

snodger 08
07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I am fairly new at fishing the Brissy river so here are my questions to you.
There are illegal spots to fish in the Brissy river???? I knew about the port, 30m rule and all that, and have looked at the green zone map and haven't seen anything in the river itself (or maybe I misread it), are there more than that?
Hope that answers your question....
Steve

Lucky_Phill
07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry b j p, not trying to confuse the issue at all.

The question is from a uni student and as I believe has passed year 12. Grammar is bad and the question asked about fishing ' spots '. Not trying to be condesending in any way shape or form, but the person asking the question, clearly has no idea about what they are asking for.

They also state they are ' doing a story ' for an assignment.

Doing a story and doing an assignment are two completely different things. Unless of course, the story is exactly that and the assignment comes under the “ media studies “ umbrella.

So, I will attempt to answer the question as it stands.

NO.

To qualify my answer:-

To my knowledge there are NO legislated illegal fishing ' spots ' in the Brisbane River. There are ' zones ' that are restricted on water and certainly there are areas landbased that are either privately owned or Council owned or Government owned that are defined as no access. ie trespassing. Also , the river has it’s origins many kilometers inland.

The restricted zones are within the bounds of the Port Authority and that authority patrol those zones rigorously. There is an exclusion zone around all wharfs and also the port extension works.

To ankhfairy, pm me or email me the exact type of story or information you are after and I will provide you with all necessary legislated zones and areas. OR, re-ask your question in a more specific way, unless, as I suggested, you don’t really know what you want. Again, not being condescending, just the question does not fit in with the normal requests from students on this forum..

Regards

Phill

b j p
08-04-2010, 05:48 AM
You are completely right Phill. The question was ambiguous. I was just pulling your leg a little. 8-)

Lucky_Phill
08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
No worries. ankhfairy has pm'd me and I have responded with best info I could.

Funnily enough, they are doing a " journalism " course at Uni.

All good..... leg feels better now thanks b j p. :) :)

Lp.

Hornblower
09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Horrrr, Gleeting and Salrutation to all,

Me varlie suspicious of Anhkfairy... Perhaps he agent for Chinee Government so spying so dat day can buy all good fishing spot in Blisbane Liver. One day day will own all Austlaria...and we have to speak Chinee, horrrr???

Legards - da Craw - No not da Craw, You read long way - I say da Craw spewlt C L A W - Craw!!!!

(Not having a go at Chinese people or asians in general - meant to be at the expense of our Govts who are selling everything to them!!!)

Cheers,

Craig

PinHead
10-04-2010, 04:45 AM
I can remember when there was the panic with Japan supposedly buying everything..turned out to be bugger all. At that time the biggest owners of Australian property and business was the Poms. But , on the flip side..lots of Australian companies have purchased overseas businesses.

Back on topic...since when has this State Govt had "clearly defined" boundaries on anything.

A story for his journalism course..Rule 1. never let the facts ruin a good yarn.

aussiebasser
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Illegal fishing spots on the Brisbane River include the area down stream from Wivenhoe wall and around Mt Crosby Weir. Not all the river is salt Phil! As for notification, the areas are adequately sign posted. I hope you PM to him was accurate.

Fish_gutz
10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I`ve been informed by port of Brisbane security that there is now a 200 meter exclusion zone from the end of the constructed wharf towards the mouth and past the dredge pontoon. 200 meters basically puts you in the middle of the rivers channel . there is no signs anywhere regarding this new rule we were told that we were lucky this time and would not be reported to the water police. still yet to check the website for any thing regarding this rule!

Andrew

Hornblower
10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey Andrew - you should have asked them when it was published as legislation because Section 21 or 22 of the Criminal Code gives you an automatic defence. If it hasn;t been published then it is not considered law - or at least that you cannot be prosecuted for it. Put the onus back on them...if they can't tell you then you can bet is isn't law yet....

Cheers,

Craig

PS: This is standard Police Academy lecture material - and I know _ I lectured as a facilitator there for two years on this and other law subjects...

The water police wont touch you if it isn;t published and the place to search for it is the Legislation page of the Queensland Government website as this comes out before the printed material.

charleville
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
The question is from a uni student and as I believe has passed year 12. Grammar is bad

Not trying to be condesending

Hmmm. Should that be "condescending"???

Heheheh! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dammit! I couldn't resist!

Sorry, Phill. (Well, at least, I think I am.) ;D ;D ;D

Jurkyjj
11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I`ve been informed by port of Brisbane security that there is now a 200 meter exclusion zone from the end of the constructed wharf towards the mouth and past the dredge pontoon. 200 meters basically puts you in the middle of the rivers channel . there is no signs anywhere regarding this new rule we were told that we were lucky this time and would not be reported to the water police. still yet to check the website for any thing regarding this rule!

Andrew

Andrew,

I got stung on Saturday when I was on the water in the same spot. (don't know if you were one of the boats chased away at the same time as me).
Just nailed 4 good fish, just after sunrise in this spot when they came through a told me to move on.
SPEWING!!

Can you please keep us updated if this is true??

Jason.

bennykenny
12-04-2010, 07:12 AM
i found this if you can make sense of it, its straight from the legislation

The anchoring, berthing mooring, operation of any ship

or the laying and setting of fishing apparatus including

crabbing pots, collapsible traps, dillies or inverted dillies

is prohibited for the waters listed in the Part with the

exception of the persons mentioned.

Brisbane River
The waters near the entrance beacons Nos. 1 and 2, as shown on map S9-30 prepared by
Maritime Safety Queensland and held at the Regional Harbour Master's office in Brisbane.
•

from the Front Reciprocal Lead at 27°15'.8225’S, 153°14'.5026’E bearing approximately

243° (T) and for a distance of 2.78 nautical miles to the isolated danger buoy at

27°17'.0460’S, 153°11'.6925’E; and
•

from the isolated danger buoy at 27°17'.0460’S, 153°11'.6925’E bearing approximately

156° (T) and for a distance of 1.66 nautical miles to the No.1 entrance west beacon at

27°18'.5866’S, 153°12'.4781’E; and
•

from the No.1 entrance west beacon at 27°18'.5866’S, 153°12'.4781’E bearing

approximately 122°(T) and for a distance of 280 metres to the No. 2 entrance east

beacon at 27°18'.6581’S 153°12'.6241’E; and
•

from the No. 2 entrance east beacon at 27°18'.6581’S 153°12'.6241’E bearing

approximately 0950° (T) and for a distance of 2.04 nautical miles to the north cardinal

buoy at 27°18'.8636’S, 153°14'.9134’E; and
•

from the north cardinal buoy at 27°18'.8636’S, 153°14'.9134’E bearing approximately

353° (T) and for a distance of 3.05 nautical miles back to the front reciprocal lead at
27°15'.8225’S, 153° 14'.5026’E.

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Illegal fishing spots on the Brisbane River include the area down stream from Wivenhoe wall and around Mt Crosby Weir. Not all the river is salt Phil! As for notification, the areas are adequately sign posted. I hope you PM to him was accurate.

yep, included that.

Gave links to various web pages to assist.

LP.