PDA

View Full Version : Thru - hull vs in hull ? Transducers

buckmo77
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Just wondering if a thru hull transducer would be better than an in hull . Got a platey C/Console with a fcv - 620 furuno, with airmar transom transducer, or what type i should look at if any one got some advice , would be appreciated thanks. Buckmo77

Ally Jack
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Buck,

I'm no expert but being an alloy hull I think your going to be stuck with either transom mount or in hull transducers.

Shoot -thru doesn't go thru alloy. Your in hull tranducers will have to be plastic or have an isolator of some description if using brass to shield the hull from the transducer.

There are others on this site that know heaps more than me on this subject and I'm sure they will chime in

Ally Jack

Sniper
08-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Buckmo77,

There is a "thru hull" transducer designed for alloy hulls. Its called Alumaducer and comes from the US. I only found out about it yesterday through an American Bass Boat forum which I'm on. Not sure what they are like, though from my limited research on them so far they sound like they work well.

Also, I have heard of people epoxying standard puck style thru hull transducers to alloy boats with great success as well.

Like I said before, I know very little about this style of transducer, however I'm looking into very closely.

If these thru hull alloy transducers work well, I'd say it would be far better than in hull as Ally Jack said, these are usually made of brass and the reaction between the alloy and brass would be very bad. Plus it means you would have to drill a big hole in the hull of your boat, so it would be pernamently there, even if it didn't work or you changed brands of sonars later on.

Hope this helps a little.

Bill