PDA

View Full Version : 1770 Trip - Colour

BigAl1071
05-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Couple of photos of recent trip. Just spent an hour typing up a full report - that i lost before sending so sorry for the short report gotta do some work.

PB Reds for both of us and bagged out overall.

Weather was ordinary one day and OK the next - Seebreeze and BOM different and both wrong.

Only second trip in new ( 2nd hand) boat so was really happy.

Cheers

Bigal sum

jtpython
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice bag mate not much beats them top tasting red fish
JT

BR65
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice colour mate!

try typing lengthy reports in word, then just copy and paste, save a heap of anguish!

cheers
brian

vertico
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
nice mate love the colour of red in any report :P
keep them coming
sean

Spot82
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Nice work mate! Always good to put some reds in the esky! What days were you out?

Thanks for the report and pics.

Anthony

Benno1
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Smilin like Cheshire cats...NIIICE :D...good stuff Al. What sort of bait did you guys use to temp the reds???...mullet???...livies.
Cheers for the pics and report.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

jarhead
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice colour there, heading up that way next week.

Cheers Wal

jag078
06-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Good one Big Al, some nice fish there.
I can't wait to get back up that way and get stuck into the reds.

Fishbait
06-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Beautiful fish Big Al - you lucky buggers. A nice session and plenty of fish for Easter.

flynny15
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
hey mate great fish how far out you have to go to get them...iam going in 2 weeks for a week with my old man...do u have any advice i have a 4.5m pollycraft and dont really want to go more than 20km out cheers

mangomick
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
nice bit of colour there mate. Hope that sea in the background was the ordinary day. looks like it may have been a little uncomfortable.

BigAl1071
12-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry for not replying earlier - away with gizzly and the cubs for a few days.

A bit more of a summary from what i lost ( thanks for the advice on how to save losing)

Trip was a last minute decision - literally after earlier cancelling due to bad weather we decided to go about 12:00pm on Saturday and were leaving a couple of hours later . Got to 1770 about 9:00pm and camped in the creek to the sound of strong winds and waves on the headland.

Got up early and had a look out at fairly ordinary conditions. Decided to go for a spin to see how it was and bashed our way out to the wides. Tried to fish but just to rough so decided to keep going to the Fitroys for some protection. Was OK in behind the reef, but very ordinary in the open. Decided to go in early after only catching 9 parrot and hussar, and started wondering what we were doing when we were the only boat in the lagoon with the wind blowing 20-25.

Had a good kip after a few sleeping pills ;) and awoke to better conditions about 1-3m and 10-15. Headed out early toward the east to a mark i had from last time. Didn't get much on the first few drifts so headed further south east when we came across a nice rise with fish showing. Drifted this spot a caught fish every drift, parrott, hussar, redthroat, moses perch and one legal Red - all on bait.

Headed further south towards Boult for no luck and decided to try a mark i had named SHARK1 from last trip out. Apparently i had named i for good reason with a suits finding us pretty quickley and spoiling what looked liked a good mark with heaps of shows on the sounder. ( Might try in the Winter again).

Decided to head towards home and fish our way in with a limit of hussar and parrott + a few others. Dropped on a couple of marks near the wides and caught a couple of nice sweetlip and parrott. Looked around a bit a found a smal show on some flat ground. Caught a 5" fusiler and dropped him back as a livie and a couple of minutes later hooked up to a good fish which took some hauling in - about 19lb of RED. YAHOO (name of the boat).

Decided to try and jig some livies and managed a few more fusilers and a couple of slimies. Dropped these back down and wasn't long before the Slimies were monstered, 2 more REDS around the 18 - 19" and a Trout. YAHOO.

Had to call it a day with the fish still biting but really happy with the trip. Wind was up a bit by now and blowing a good 15 - 20.

Stats and answers.

Dates 28th and 29th April.

Bait : Squid, Pillies, Mullet, plus local flesh bait - and Livies

Results: 4 Reds, 1 trout, 12 parrot, 2 moses perch, 2 red throat, 1 stripey, 18 hussar and 2 grassy sweet lip.

Fuel - 200 litres

Distance - Est 250 km

Weather - Sunday - Very ordinary - Monday - Fishable but still rough

Almanac - Sunday Black, Monday Dark Grey

Observations

The weather on seabreeze and BOM was completely different, and they were both wrong on the 2 days. Sunday the BOM was close but seabreeze was no where near, Monday seabreeze was close but the BOM was way out.

I look at the Coastal Waters forecast, marine wind forecast, seabreeze and the charts and make decision. Sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

Marks - I had a few marks to start off but caught most of my fish from spots we found just looking around and travelling between spots. Keep and eye on your sounder and have a look at things you see - i have still not worked out the sounder properly but think i am starting to get the idea.

Cheers

Big Al.

BigAl1071
12-04-2010, 06:52 AM
flynny 15

("hey mate great fish how far out you have to go to get them...iam going in 2 weeks for a week with my old man...do u have any advice i have a 4.5m pollycraft and dont really want to go more than 20km out cheers")

I don't really have many marks and have only been to 1770 about 4 times all up so i am certainly no expert, but a couple of suggestions.

There are some bait grounds off 1770 that you could try for livies and all the other things that eat them. I don't have any marks but someone might tell us;D

I have fished the inner wides about 8 years ago in a 4m tinnie out from Pancake - i think it was about 20nm. This would be the absolute limit that i would go in a small boat. It really depends on your confidence and your boats capabilities - there are plenty more experienced people around that might offer some suggestions.

Cheers Big Al

flynny15
12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
thanks mate.....yeah i have got a bit of info from the site and a few marks, i look forward to a good trip. cheers