PDA

View Full Version : Age Old Question Which Boat

LOUIE
04-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I know everyone has an opinion on this subject so these are the base criterea.

1. Used 1 man up, mainly casting lures in impoundments and rivers

2. Long trailing distances over poor roads, therefore aluminium is the best option

3. Current 3.85 Explorer Trophy is too wet in a chop and hair raising when Glenbawn or Copeton blows up

4. No bigger than 4.4, open boat preferable

5. Prefer something that is legal fitted with a 40HP or 60HP 4 stroke donk

6. Prefer 3mm bottom and sides for increased ride performance and strength

7. Fit up to include casting deck/s and trolling motor mount

Probably choices have been culled to Makocraft Frenzy or Estaury Tracker Tournament, Bluefin Warrior, Hornet Trophy 435.

If anyone is looking at selling their current rig or has unbiased insight on these boats performance look forward to your comments.

Thanks

Louie

Kondo 1
04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I know everyone has an opinion on this subject so these are the base criterea.

1. Used 1 man up, mainly casting lures in impoundments and rivers

2. Long trailing distances over poor roads, therefore aluminium is the best option

3. Current 3.85 Explorer Trophy is too wet in a chop and hair raising when Glenbawn or Copeton blows up

4. No bigger than 4.4, open boat preferable

5. Prefer something that is legal fitted with a 40HP or 60HP 4 stroke donk

6. Prefer 3mm bottom and sides for increased ride performance and strength

7. Fit up to include casting deck/s and trolling motor mount

Probably choices have been culled to Makocraft Frenzy or Estaury Tracker Tournament, Bluefin Warrior, Hornet Trophy 435.

If anyone is looking at selling their current rig or has unbiased insight on these boats performance look forward to your comments.

Thanks

Louie

Hey mate,

I was looking for a very similar package myself and just settled on a Seajay Territory.

To get the 3mm bottom though you will need to go to the 4.55 (as i did) and i believe you can option the 3mm plate sides.

The reverse chines should by rights make it a drier boat than most of the others and pretty well has everything else you are looking for.

Have a look and see what u think.

finga
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Why restrict yourself to alloy??
If the trailer is set up correctly then glass is a very good alternative and when you consider hull weights there is not much of a difference between alloy and glass.

spelchek
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll second the sea jay vote! I got 3mm hull (the bottom - not the sides) optioned ono my 4.4 Escape sports - so that is an option.

I am very happy with it. A very stable boat at rest - and as dry a ride as you'll get from a tinny that size. Majority of it's use is with me alone - launch and retrieve is a breeze single-handed - even in a cross wind.

Blackened
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
G'day

Considered a 4.1 webster or a 4.1 poly?

Dave

mojoe1
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
i got the warrior iam more than happey with it for what i use it for 60/4 yam on it goes well if i was to buy now i would opt for full weld side deck and go 4 mill allround and up the horses i think u can up the to 75 with this option

rodneyk
04-04-2010, 10:47 AM
simple choice quintrex top ender you can get side console or tiller dont want to start arguements but they ride better and are dryer than any other on the market because of hull shape also has a lot more moulded bins etc than most but are expensive do yourself a favour go for a run in all of them if possible in windy conditions and make up your own mind imo a hornet 435 will be still wet in chop ive owned one had it at awoonga several times gets very choppy in main basin and is uncomfortable to say the least and i am talking from my pocket as ive been in your position ive also owned bluefins 8-)

hivalley
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Another vote for Sea Jay here, picked up a 4.35 Territory about 6 months ago cheap, rig was only 12 months old and has a Yamaha 2 stroke 40 on the her, I love this little boat and can not fault it

davez104
04-04-2010, 01:34 PM
As finga said, no need to limit yourself to tin, glass is stronger than most give it credit for. I'm about to buy a boat for similar purposes, lure/fly casting in the barra impoundments, creeks as well as some of the inshore islands around the Whitsundays when the weather is good.

I decided to spend a little more and get a boat that should be almost the ultimate in lure casting platforms. It's a Scout Costa 170, it's a glass boat, very wide, very stable and designed for shallow running. It has awesome storage for rods, tackle boxes etc. They aren't cheap, but I think it should be a great boat to fish from in any conditions. It is capable of carrying a big engine (115) if I should decide later on that I need something fast, but it gets along fine with a 60. Should be a nice, quiet, economical boat.

I know it's a little larger than you are looking at, but my point is that there are so many options available outside of the standard tinny, you just need to look. The fly fishing guys seem to be the ones that are adopting these different boats, so look towards what they are using to weigh up your options.

Dave.

LOUIE
04-04-2010, 02:57 PM
As finga said, no need to limit yourself to tin, glass is stronger than most give it credit for. I'm about to buy a boat for similar purposes, lure/fly casting in the barra impoundments, creeks as well as some of the inshore islands around the Whitsundays when the weather is good.

I decided to spend a little more and get a boat that should be almost the ultimate in lure casting platforms. It's a Scout Costa 170, it's a glass boat, very wide, very stable and designed for shallow running. It has awesome storage for rods, tackle boxes etc. They aren't cheap, but I think it should be a great boat to fish from in any conditions. It is capable of carrying a big engine (115) if I should decide later on that I need something fast, but it gets along fine with a 60. Should be a nice, quiet, economical boat.

I know it's a little larger than you are looking at, but my point is that there are so many options available outside of the standard tinny, you just need to look. The fly fishing guys seem to be the ones that are adopting these different boats, so look towards what they are using to weigh up your options.

Dave.

Dave

The size of my shed has considerable input to my available choices, 3 cars and a boat dont leave any room to hold a party.

Thanks for your input.

Gravy

davez104
04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
No worries, I understand. My point was purely that there are other options around. I'm a fan of glass boats as I believe them to be a quieter boat to fish from, as well as the extra weight making them a little more stable and smoother riding for any given deadrise. But for a cheaper, bash-em-round, take-em-anywhere boat, it is hard to go past alloy. Some of the manufacturers are making some very classy tin boats these days too.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find the right boat, it's never an easy choice.

Dave.

nigelr
04-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Not sure if these are still available new, but you could probably find one 2nd hand if you weren't in a hurry.
http://www.stessl.com.au/boattests/Stessl_435_EdgeTracker.pdf
Cheers.

frankgrimes
04-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Just checked them out - Very nice looking rig mate.

Mick

davez104
04-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Should be good. It's a second hand boat, ex guides boat, with a 60 Yamaha 4 stroke. Just sorting out a few details, if all goes well we should have it in a couple of weeks.

Dave.

Mudlicker
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I reckon that you are on the right track with any of the boats you have listed , the bluefin is a great rig , match made in heaven with the 60 yamaha 4 stroke , I have a 4.35 TABS territory unfortunately these are not made any more but I have found it brilliant , i live in NW qld and tow mainly on dirt road and bush track and 7 years on this hull is unblemished , i have a 50 yammie 4 stroke on the back and it is well matched , 55 km/h top speed , excellent rough water handling for thiss size boat , easy to tow and launch , although heavy if you get stuck in the mud , 4mm bottom 3 mm every where else.Maybe TABS still do a similar hull in its seascape range .Just my 2 cents ;D