PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolabah Trip

matt fraser
03-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Good Friday morning 5am or so, myself and my mate Craig, left the ramp and headed out for a fish.

We were both inexperienced in the area, I've only fished it once, about 18 years ago, and Craig hadn't fished it at all. The wind was already about 10 knots and forecast to hit 20 knots by 10am. So we didn't venture to far.

After a tip from a mate from Noosa, we started trolling 5m and 8m Scorpions. We were in my 4.75 Bluefin tiller, and it took about half an hour before we hooked up. The first run wasn't big, but there was a lot of weight and the fish really slugged it out. I called it for a tuna and after about 10 minutes, I gave Craig a stint on the rod. This fish wasn't about to give up in a hurry, Craig spent about 15minutes on it, and we got a look at it, then swapped the rod back, another 5minutes and we finally got a gaff shot and put a nice Longtail in the boat. Good fun!

Off we went trolling again, out to Old Woman, there was bird action everywhere, so we gave the slugs a go, and came up with a dart first! then a small Mack tuna and then a 5-6kg model. The wind was picking up and we got sick of chasing the schools and birds, so went off trolling again.

In near the mouth of the Maroochy River we got a spotty, we trolled past Alex and then out wide again and finally got another spotty. The conditions were getting pretty ordinary for an open tinny, so we headed in about 9.30am pretty happy with the mornings action.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Armo
03-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice one Matt,

I got stuck into the tuna last week myself just off Mooloolabah and it looks like it is shaping up to be a good season, heaps of bait around.

Fishing Fridays are looking good at the moment, electric on when it's windy and electric off for chasing the tuna and snapper on the good days.

Catch ya
Matt