PDA

View Full Version : Pre Easter Quicky

Tim_N
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Had a chance to get out and chase a feed for the table on the Thursday before Easter. The weather has been very ordinary and I have been flat out in the lead up to Easter so with time running out and no fish for the table, I decided to give my old mate Bazza a ring and see if he was keen to brave some more ordinary weather to see if we could organise a feed or 3.
We left Bribie at about 7.30 am as I had a couple of jobs that had to get done and we were greeted with only about 15 knots of southerly washing machine like seas, the odd squall and a very doubtful sky.
We ventured out to my relatively close marks with the view of giving it a few drifts to see is anything was around, then we would bounce out to the 30 km grounds and try for a Snapper.
By the time we got to the 13 km ground, the 30 km ground felt like a million miles away, but we didn't have to go any further.
Once we located the fish, it was full on and we ended being back at the ramp by 12 noon with a box of fish.
Below is a couple of pics, but when the fish are on the chew, I get too excited to take too many pics.
Ended up with a good mixed bag of Spanish Mackerel, Schoolie Macks (some of which were as big and fat as I've seen for a couple of years), cod, Sweetlip, big Moses and the bloody Longtail for good measure.
No Snapper though, but hey, pulling these suckers out of 20 meters of water is a hoot.
Gear used was Egrell Bears in the S6, S10 and S10H variety and Daiwa Certates and also a new Shimano Baitrunner 4000D. The 4000D is proving to be a good reel, nice and smooth with a good drag too. Don't think it will last as long as a Certate but for the money, it punches well above its weight.
All my reels are now spooled with 20 lb Woodstock and I'm using Eric Grells wind ons.
Just a note, the Longtail versus a Egrell Bear S10H is a no show. This stick really hurts them.
Tried SP's but couldn't loose one so all fish were taken on either the local livie population or Pillies.
Great day out with the only down side of cleaning the finny, spikey, toothy critters, but hey, I'm not complaining.
Tim

jtpython
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Nice mate keep

it up
JT

Jeremy
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Great work Tim. mmmm fresh mackeral!

Live4Fishin
03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
good to see you getting out tim, havnt seen a report for awhile:)

Tim_N
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Beau,
I haven't been out for a month or so with the weather being horrible, but surely it can't rain and blow forever.
Yes Jeremy, plenty of Mackerel and other mixed reefie fillets for the fresh fish starved crew. It's quite amazing how much fresh fish a mob can eat in one sitting.
Can't be far away from some still, cool days wheh the Snapper come back in. Hanging out for it.
20 knots again today so plan B looks the goods.
Tim

Fishbait
04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Awesome fish Tim. Happy Easter, Cheers, Darren

The BeaR
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
great stuff tim, good to see you managed a day out as well, weather looked as good as ours.LOL. Nice fish, at least you get to eat your spaniards down there, can't take the chance up here.

Eric&Deb...

DALEPRICE
09-04-2010, 08:00 PM
gday Tim, some cracker fish for your efforts !
think i bumped into you at indoor soccer a few weeks back,
good to see some action for somebody.
cheers dale

Tim_N
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Dale,
Went back on Sat and couldn't turn a reel, but the Longtails were everywhere out there. Luckily they were eating really small Sprats, not the stuff we were tossing around. The weather forcast was way out, but this morning out there was like a dream. Unfortunately I was land bound........grrrrrrrrrrr.
Tim