PDA

View Full Version : QL Trim Tabs on Signature RF600

ozassassin
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Well the weather has not been the best of late, so I thought I’d do a lot of research on trim tabs and put them on before the fishing weather comes good.
Looking at all the post over the years and by the looks of what has been said and done it looks like the QL trim tabs win, so went out and got myself a set and sat down and read all the instructions, called up Gordon form Signature, got some advice on how to attack the transom and to get out the foam, the only thing he could suggest was good luck.
Got myself a set of 150 round inspection ports one for each side of the pods inside of the boat, cut the hole out and looked inside to find a big job to make access to the transom, dug a tunnel down to the back of the transom drilled holes in the right places set up the control panel on the dash 2 days later all done.
This is no job for the faint hearted once you commit yourself; you need to dedicate all your time to getting it finished, but once you have it all in place and tested the outcome, it all become worthwhile, I hope.
Now all I need is some good weather, get out and really put them to the test and then I’ll really know if it was $1200 well spent, or weather, I just spent this sort of money to make the back of the boat look the part, time will tell I guess.
Eric

Daisy Burnett
03-04-2010, 06:37 AM
ozassasin
Thanks for that I have been looking at trim tabs myself and leaning towards the QLs. I was quoted $1300 to supply and fit by the dealer while fitting out the new boat. That price now sounds quite reasonable. I think I will give him a call on Tue and tell him to go ahead a fit them.

Cheers
Daisy

TimiBoy
03-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Daisy that's a good price. Love my QL's. One tip - put the controller as close as you can to one hand. When it's bumpy that's when you will be wanting to adjust trim the most, and the buttons are quite small...

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Daisy that's a godd price. Love my QL's. One tip - put the controller as close as you can to one hand. When it's bumpy that's when you will be dwanting to adjust trim the most, and the buttons are quite small...

Cheers,

Tim

Is that southern area affecting your spelling Tim?

Eric, when I bought my boat it had Trimtabs already on it. It took me a while to work out how to use them in all conditions, so stick with it. You'll appreciate them in due course.

Cheers,
Wags

Spaniard_King
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I have had a set on for almost 3 years now.. had some early teething problems (tab fault.. it was replaced)

Been a great system, wouldnt be without them now. The key to fitting them for longevity is to mount them on a flat part of the hull, they don't like flexing.

gr hilly
03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
my old hains had them on they do wonders great move.

hilly

Daisy Burnett
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Daisy that's a godd price. Love my QL's. One tip - put the controller as close as you can to one hand. When it's bumpy that's when you will be dwanting to adjust trim the most, and the buttons are quite small...

Cheers,

Tim

Tim
I'll keep that in mind when I go in for the fit out briefing. Good tip, thanks.

Daisy8-)

Daisy Burnett
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
[quote=TimiBoy;1148482]Daisy that's a godd price. Love my QL's. One tip - put

Hammer007
18-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi Fitted Bennets Trim Tabs on my 600RF and has made a good boat much better.

Midnight
18-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Gday,
Well done on your tab fit out, good job.

For others, yes the area MUST be dead flat and true. These tabs have a very high failure rate otherwise. Also, the control modules must be kept dry or they go also. From what I have seen though, they are very good in their operation.
I have seen the speed go up( yes UP) by a knot or so and the fuel flow come down by 6L/hr per engine when they are extended on a 46 foot custom game boat (450mm panels). They raised the bum and improved the overall hull efficiency at the cruise speed of 22kts.

However, I am yet to meet someone who has had them last more than 12 months, and they are not happy. But, then others, as seen here, are very happy with them.

Cheers,
Myles

Rhinoc
19-05-2010, 06:25 AM
However, I am yet to meet someone who has had them last more than 12 months, and they are not happy. But, then others, as seen here, are very happy with them.

Cheers,
Myles

Midnight - that's interesting. What's causing the issues you have discovered from others?

Rhino...

Ross_685
19-05-2010, 09:02 AM
What size QL's is everyone running?

Im looking for a set for the Noble 685. My initial thoughts were the 450's, but they seem a little large??

TimiBoy
19-05-2010, 09:54 AM
300's did a fabulous job on my CC685. Feather touch, totally responsive. I'd go to a much larger boat before considering the 450's. Much larger.

Cheers,

Tim

chop duster
19-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I can't see them being a good idea on moored boats? bound to get fouled with growth, is that what your getting at Midnight?
Good tip spaniad king! i'm sure many have fallen victim to that...

Spaniard_King
19-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I run 300's on my Edencraft , more than enough trim for all occasions.

megafish71
19-05-2010, 07:17 PM
What size QL's is everyone running?

Im looking for a set for the Noble 685. My initial thoughts were the 450's, but they seem a little large??

Running 300's on my 7.2mtr platey, more than enough tab. Just as Tim said, you would need a much bigger boat to run 450's. Love my QL Tabs, my only complaint is the buttons on the control panel aren't backlit, making them hard to find in the dark.

Cheers Ron

Midnight
19-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Gday,
I have seen them fail due to module failures and also blade failures. One boat had both occur.

I think the "moored" boat issue is a definite. If you get those tiny little barnacles up inside the unit then they are cactus, also if they are very seldom used just normal marine growth stops them. But most I have heard of are due to the electronic module carking it. A couple due to installation problems with the surface not being dead square, as any bend in the panel buggers it up in a short space of time.
I was going to fit the 450mm panels to my Bertram after seeing them in operation on my mates game boat, but decided against it after one by one all 4 panels on that boat failed. 2 to module failures and the other 2 to blade failure, with one being stuck in the full extend position and the other retracted, requiring the extended one to be cut off.

I have gone for 450mm Lencos.

As I said, some folks are very happy with them, and they certainly do work as advertised. The high failure rate that I have seen and been told about just put me off them. Especially when you have to bore a 32mm hole through the transom and they only pack 12 months warranty.

Cheers,
Myles

TimiBoy
19-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Running 300's on my 7.2mtr platey, more than enough tab. Just as Tim said, you would need a much bigger boat to run 450's. Love my QL Tabs, my only complaint is the buttons on the control panel aren't backlit, making them hard to find in the dark.

Cheers Ron

Stick some hair on 'em.

Sorry, drunk...

:grin::grin::grin:

Tim

Midnight
19-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Hehe

Nothin better than a quick post when you are half cut Tim:tongue:

Cheers

ozscott
19-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Stick some hair on 'em.

Sorry, drunk...

:grin::grin::grin:

Tim

Thats a pain in the arse cause then you're just going to have to wax them.

Cheers

Ross_685
20-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys.

Sounds like 450's will be overkill, and the 300's perfect for the Noble.

timddo
20-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I had one side fail in 2 months. Replaced under warranty. Problem is once you take it out. The boat is offline