PDA

View Full Version : Longtail on Soft plastics

The BeaR
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi All...

Finally after a very long period of bad weather, a window of opportunity presented itself, not the perfect day, but good enough to get out. One can only go so long without a day fishing and this was going to be that day no matter what.

Left the Urangan boat ramp at 6:30am and headed out in the bay to chase some Longtail Tuna on Soft Plastics. The trip across was good, light winds and reasonably calm water but we were a little worried at the lack of bird or surface activity.

We travelled along the island for quite some time and at around 8:30am, we finally started seeing some surface action. In no time at all schools of Longtail were popping up all around us. First cast into a school saw our first Longtail in the boat at around 7-8kg, followed by another and another. On a couple of occasions Deb and I experienced the adrenaline of double hook-ups. Between us we boated a dozen Longtail as well as 3 self releasing ones.

We headed home around 1:30pm as it was pouring rain all around us by this time and we figured we had more than broken our fishing drought with enough enjoyment to get us through until our next trip.

All fish were caught on Soft plastics. Deb was using her Egrell S10 matched to her Daiwa 4000 hypercustom spooled with 50lb Braid and 40lb wind-on leader. Her plastic of choice was a 5” snapback retrieved slowly back through the water while constantly twitching the rod, not big movements, just constantly during the retrieve.

My choice of Soft plastic was also a 5” snapback. On this particular occasion, rather than my Egrell S10, I was actually testing out a new prototype rod matched to my Daiwa Saltiga Maverick 4500, spooled with 50lb braid and 40lb wind-on leader. My technique is one I have always used when catching LT on SP, and that is to rotate the rod tip while at the same time winding the reel handle (creating a synchronized movement). This movement imparts a very erratic action into the lure, causing it to dart back and forth just below the surface of the water, and because it is a much slower retrieve than normal, it keeps the lure in the path of the tuna for a longer period time, increasing the chances of a hook-up.

I have used this method for many years now because before SP, I caught all my tuna high speed spinning and although I have caught more than my share of LT using this method, in my opinion the effort far outweighs the reward. Soft plastics are so much easier, especially when you are getting a little older and recovery takes a little longer, I just find that nowadays a little less effort enables me to fish all day without fatigue and I achieve better results than the old days.

Eric&Deb…

P.S. Link to Longtail on the flats, cast to capture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSi6TBxzWu8

Benno1
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Beautiful beasties the LT...i hope one day to be blessed with catching...well at least trying to boat at least one :P
Top shelf effort Eric and Deb...thanks for the piccies and report...how did you go getting back in???

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

LostNearBribie
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
The dream team strike again!
Great stuff Eric. They are such a beautiful looking fish.
I was out with Smithy today near Caloundra and gave my S10 a solid work out on some mac tunas.
Was hoping for a longy, but none showed up.
Had some great fights between the three of us.
I shared the rod and everyone loved it.

Red.

vertico
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
nice longtails mate , just picked up an S10 4-10 gonna give it a crack at some speedsters eventually.

cuzzamundi
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Great stuff, team! They are great looking fish, and even better to catch!

How was the water vis up the island?

Great report! Thanks.

Cuzza

The BeaR
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Sunny...Coming back wasn't a problem, ocean was still calm, just got drenched for a couple of miles.LOL.

Hi Cuzza...The water was nice and clear and the fish were in quite close on the island. The only thing that was real surprising was that there was very little bait showing on the sounder.

Eric&Deb...

fishandchips
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
looks like a great day on the water,thanks for a good report. luke

Tim_N
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Good Longtails Eric and Deb, if you haven't been out for a while, the feeling these things give when pulling braid off at a hundred miles an hour through a set of runners is a beaut stress reliever.
Tim

Scalem
04-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi E&D

I have not done this type of shallow water plastic fishing and can only imagine how much of a rush it is, especially double hookups!!

Would you mind if I ask you to grab some video next time you are out, I think it would be one of the most watched vids on AF. Possible?

Scalem

bondy99
04-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Well done Eic and Deb,

I know only too well when you say the window of opportunity has presented itself. Been some time since I was up Hervey Bay. Longtail tuna I'm sure would go down very well and a good cardiac workout

How far away from the breaksea spit were you?

Peter

3rd degree
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Sounds and looks like a good session guys

Has been a very quite year on the longies down here in the Bay..... Might have to have a look up your way!

Cheers

Jim

The BeaR
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi Scalem...I added a link from cast to capture of a Longtail Tuna on the flats at the top with the photos for you. Hope it works ok

Hi Bondy99...we were at wathumba which is inside the bay.

Eric&Deb...

Tim_N
05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
By the way Eric, not a bad Longie to knock over in under 4 minutes!!!
Tim