PDA

View Full Version : Old Qinnies

Pete Makra
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey guys,

Couple of questions I need help with please.
Anybody got any idea what bottom/side thickness this sort of old quinny would have.
Can the yellow glass top areas be easily repainted.
How hard to put a centre opening 3 piece windscreen in & would it cost big $.
Anyone ever had one of this vintage and how was the ride etc.
Could you put hydraulic steering in.
If repowering, what would you recommend.

I've been told that they were built strong and are a good buy if you can find one in pretty good nick.

Also saw one recently with a near new (less than 100 hrs) 4 stroke 60 yammie on the back for similar $. Although this boat didn't seem as clean and in as good nick, based on the motor that came with it, it may very well be a better buy of the 2. That is as long as the 4 stroke 60 yammie is OK for this size/weight older style boat. Is it ?

Any help/advice is appreciated, cheers Pete

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP003329162?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

Chimo
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Pete

Did you check out the other option on your other thread?

Saw this one a while ago. Looks an OK sort of rig too. Why would you want to get rid of the yellow? Its safe and it keeps the boat original for when you want to re sell. Also why repower? Those 70HPs were good and if its been serviced and is still running well why chuck it given the little fuel they use and the low cost service. Ask Ian Purdon, Ski and Race Marine, 55946557 or 0410546557 about the 70

Almost forgot, what about the spin dry drum; priceless;)

Cheers
Chimo

Pete Makra
02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi Pete

Did you check out the other option on your other thread?

Saw this one a while ago. Looks an OK sort of rig too. Why would you want to get rid of the yellow? Its safe and it keeps the boat original for when you want to re sell. Also why repower? Those 70HPs were good and if its been serviced and is still running well why chuck it given the little fuel they use and the low cost service. Ask Ian Purdon, Ski and Race Marine, 55946557 or 0410546557 about the 70

Almost forgot, what about the spin dry drum; priceless;)

Cheers
Chimo

Hey Chimmo, been off-line for a while and it wasn't until I logged in this morning that I saw your threads. One of the quinnes seems to be the same model.

Re the yellow, mate I hate the friggin colour. If I did change it I would still make it noticeable for safety in case I needed help one day. Maybe just a lighter shade of yellow.

Re the motor, I've got "nuthin", don't know much about them. Thats the only reason I thought to maybe repower to something newer (4 stroke). Its good to know though that these older motors (if taken care of) are reliable and economical to service & run. Hey, can you trade them in or would the engine dealer tell me to rack off?

Re the other boat I mentioned with the late model/low hour (less than 100) 4 stroke 60 yammy, even if the boat itself isn't in as good nick as the one in the link I put up, wouldn't it be a better buy taking into account the motor it comes with.

Re the Ally Tank, yeah that would be good as well. Only thing is, I want forward steering, windscreen, anchor well etc. Can these be added to something like this or would the cost be too great. I like it cause it hasn't been painted and I could do it myself.

I'm still exploring my options and am still undecided about old vs new or as you previously suggested glass vs aluminium. Plenty of time so will keep researching and your (and others) continued advise and "words of wisdom" is greatly appreciated, cheers Pete