PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to interpret spot on MNP21 (Moreton Bay Zone)

ThePinkPanther
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
This no-fishing zone covers the Rous Channel, the Small Vessel Passage and the Northern Amity Banks.

To the south east of the No 11 buoy, there is a go-slow speed sign on the northern edge of the marine park and immediately adjacent to and south of this is a distinct "V" shape on the zone map.

I have enlarged this portion to see what part of this "V" shaped section is fishable but can't seem to find anything obvious ..................

Depressingly enough, I tried the Fisheries guys but like talking to a row of bricks.

I guess somewhere there are some Lats and Longs for this small area so if anybody can point me in the right direction to find same I would be very appreciative.

No reward for guessing why I am after this info - spelt WHITING!!

tunaticer
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Sorry I can't help you with if it is inside or outside of a protection zone, but Google Earth will give you a close lat-long reading if you put your mouse on the spot and read the coords off the lower left corner of the screen. Google Earth seems to be within about 25m these days unless there is a distinct overlap of images under the spot.

gr hilly
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
ive got the same problem myself i am missing my whiting feeds and dont know the narang river having never fished it.some decent markers would be a bit of a help but the mob of crackpots running these zones don't give a rats about the local bloke trying to get a feed for his family.
ill get a fine soon cause im just going to go to the spot ive fished for 40 yrs 1 hr is all i need
hilly

ThePinkPanther
04-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys - frustrating isn't it! :-/

I asked the Fisheries Inspector what would happen if "he" came along and found me in this particular spot that is almost impossible to define accurately and he replied it was up to me to prove I was in the right place! :-[

Kind of like being guilty before proving yer innocent! >:(

I am reluctant to give up "my spot" as I can always get a couple of dozen nice whiting around the legal 25 cm mark. :D

Fifty metres either side of spot X and nothing!! Must be a good bottom or something! :)

honda900
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
these are the official boundaries of the park as released by DPI.

Regards
Honda.

MNP21 - Amity Banks (west)027° 24.555' S153° 22.880' E-27.40925153.3813333127° 27.411' S153° 21.800' E-27.45685153.3633333

ThePinkPanther
09-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Honda,
I got onto a decent inspector @ B & F who confirmed what I suspected that all the boundaries around the Maroon Banks are similar to Peel Islands' i.e a 2 metre zone measured at low tide and about 4 at high tide.
Thanks again

webby
10-04-2010, 04:35 AM
MNp21 Amity Banks (west)
The area bounded by a line starting at the intersection of the 2m depth contour
of the northern end of amity banks and the meridian of longitude 153.22.880 east
(at or about the point 27.24.555 south, 153.22.880 east) then running progressively
a. southerly along the geodesic to the intersection of the 2m depth contour of the southern end of amity banks and the meridian of longitude 153.21.800 east
(at or about the point 27.27.411 south, 153.21.800 east) and
b. Generally north-westerly and north-easterly along the 2m depth contour of amity
banks to the starting point.

mon
16-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Webby's spot on.
All of the zones are listed in legislation, Marine Parks (Moreton Bay) Zoning Plan 2008

Here's the link:

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-bay/index.html

Cheers MON

Bowser
17-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Your starting comments are a little deceiving. Niether the Rouse nor the Small ships are in the green zone. They both border the zone but it actually runs along the 2 metre line too the South of them, as Webby correctly points out. You can fish on the edges in 3 metres etc but you need to be sure of the depth as per the legislation which according to the book that they produce is:

Depth contour:
A depth contour links adjacent points on the sea floor that are at the same depth, in the same way contours are used on topographic maps to show land of the same height. The depth contour is taken at low tide. For example, a 2m depth contour links points that are 2m deep at low tide.
To determine the depth of water you need to be in at the 2m depth contour at any particular time, you need to make allowances for the tide—determine how much extra water there is on top of the 2m depth contour, remembering this is measured at low tide.

Bear in mind that they also put a fairly broad disclaimer in this book that makes all the maps and most of the comments virtually worthless in a court of law.

So what constitutes 2 metres at low tide? What is the low tide mark? Is it the low tide on the day that you are fishing and if so is the last one or the next or is it a specific low tide mark set on a specific day? Does the much anticipated melting of the polar ice caps change the low tide mark? Will we be able to fish all the banks in a few years time as the sea level rises? You also need to bear in mind that the fines applied here are the same style of unconstitutional fines that apply to many other facets of our life today, in that they are on the spot fines and remove the basic tenant of Australian Law that you are innocent until proven guilty before an independent and unbiased jury of your peers or a Magistrate. With these it is a complete arse about. The law officer is not simply there to gather evidence and present it to the designated legal officer or court for them to decide if you have a case to answer. The law officer is the judge, jury and executioner and rightly or wrongly you are found guilty by them based on their spurious understanding of the law in question and must then take it to a court to prove your innocence. They do not have to provide any evidence of the matter, just fill out their little fine book and hand it over. Of course the Government will respond that this is not the case that you actually plead guilty by not responding within the designated time period or by paying the fine. Imagine that happening with a pollie? Having the local Gendarme grab them by the collar issue an on the spot fine for graft and corruption and then the copper only needs to sit back and not prove the case. Make the pollie do all the running. Should be good for a giggle.

gr hilly
19-04-2010, 11:24 AM
i think a good court case is what is called for,i personally don't think that most inspectors could argue that your boat drifted whilst you were busy looking after other business.catching fish is a sport that takes my mind off business and the mrs and every other distraction, i would not plead guilty, i don't have any way only by land marks of knowing where i am, and if they want to give an old bloke a hard time that would stink. 40 yrs of boating and fishing and never a fine yes i would go to court and id take the bloody news papers with me
hilly

robsue
21-04-2010, 12:57 PM
if you get the book off the marine park next to the manly boat ramp, it is easy to define where you can and cant fish in the rouse area, i got mine given to me at the boat ramp one day
you can judge by the beacons where you can and cant fish, allowing for the 2 metre low water rule i have been out there and the marine park have just gone straight past me and i have been near the green zone, they couldnt tell from a distance what depth i was fishing in
later when i got back to the ramp i saw them hosing off crabpots they had confiscated out there, so some people who think their pots have been stolen are mistaken, i guess they are not using the right size float which we all see out there
now my big question is... if the confiscated pots are meant to be dumped, why are they hosing them down, hmmm, for resale or personal use, only thing that comes to my mind