PDA

View Full Version : Cooper anchor...i like it

juju
01-04-2010, 02:34 PM
My fist time last nit to try my new cooper anchor....and im converted works really well, and it sits nicely up on the bowsprit. I drilled a hole through the sharft and the pin on the bow roller thats ment to hold the rope in place now slides through and hold the anchor in place.....with the reef pick i had to reach out over the rails , now i can drop and retrive without reaching right out....im going to put a back up safety hook like a ski hook on the back of the anchor well and a back up to the bow roller pin....but all up very happy with it

kitty_cat
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
got any pics

juju
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
no prob i will put some up tomorrow

Axl
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I just had a look at there web site and they have a short video showing how they work I too will be interested to see any pics you have juju they look good.

I have a 5M alloy c/c and I am thinking of getting the 2.3kg is this the one you have?

Do you use the top hole with a cable tie or bottom hole?

juju
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Here are the pics, where im holding the chain is where im going to bolt a ski hook onto the back of the anchor well..will act as a back up to the pin..at the moment i just lean foward and turn then pull the pin out and drop her down...then replace the pin after i pull it it...in some choppy stuff the other nite it didnt move a bit...but the chain clanged on the well...the ski hook will fix the as the chain will then hang straight down in the well...otherwise id have to get out on the bow to lift it over the rail...now its all very easy..oh and i got the 2.3 kg one

Axl
02-04-2010, 07:17 PM
juju your set up looks good mate I think I can do the same sort of thing to my c/c but if I keep spending money on the boat the missus is going to kill me.

However I think that I will order an anchor as soon as I can ive got some electrical work to do first.

LoungeLizard
08-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Old thread I know, but I was wondering if anybody else have been using these anchors on 6m+ boats? Also, how do they hold up when snagged? I'd imagine the soft aluminium would get bent/twisted pretty badly :/

TREVELLY
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Well I had one for a couple of years - lost it last trip along with the Sarca - that was an expensive trip for anchors.

My boat is 6.25m and really it worked in very gentle conditions and just dragged big time in any wind or chop.

I did eventually bite the bullet and bought a Sarca and really they are chalk and cheese.

The Cooper is a nice little anchor and small and light and I used it for just securing the boat to the shore when tying boat off with Sarca in the deep and Cooper to the shore.

If you are counting on it to be anything but a light weight or should I say light duty anchor you will be disappointed.

If you fish mainly fine weather in benign conditions estuary and sand and mud it may well suit you.

Back In Black
08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Trev,
I recently upgraded from a stander plough anchor to a Sarca, also upgrading to a heavier chain, & it has made a huge difference. I reckon I have left a criss cross pattern across North reef as I was dragging horrendously, scaring the fish & never staying on the mark. Now we can drop the anchor & know within a metre or 2 she takes up & we never move. Not a cheap anchor though, & I dread the day I leave it behind!
Tony

TREVELLY
08-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Your right Tony.

One other thing I did is use a shackle at the end and zip tie - so I can just motor off in the deeper water and if the anchor doesn't let go then the zip tie does and we have the anchor release.

I know the theory is use a sliding stainless shackle and it is all good - but I feel more confident with this set up - see pic

And also see what I replaced the Cooper with :) $19

Last trip losing the Sarca with 7m of 10mm chain and 25m of 6mm chain was like throwing away $550 - I still lay awake at night over that. :-? And yes the wife is not at all understanding :-[

The Sarca is $230 but I have seen them on fleabay for $195+$15 postage

The Cooper I think cost $100 delivered a couple of years back.

Tony - you really should get rid of that banana avatar :)

Stuart
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
How is the sarca on the reef?

Back In Black
08-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Trev,
I just paid $450 for mine, albeit a bigger one for the 8.4m boat. The reason I got it was to get away from "tripping" the plough anchor like your set up.
Stuart- works great, but can be a bit hard to release at times. A bit of an art driving over it, reversing etc, & a great sigh of relief when it finally pops.
Tony

Tickleish
09-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I find my cooper on a 5.5m boat is fine in sand but if it has to get through weed or thick mud you have no chance.

Like others have said it is a good light back up anchor.

Stuart
09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Maybe the coopers need a fair bit more weight added to them.

TREVELLY
09-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Maybe the coopers need a fair bit more weight added to them.

If I laid it alongside the Sarca it is about half the size and one quarter the area trying to hold the bottom.

Cooper if you look at the promo relies totally on sinking into sand or mud - any kind of firm bottom and it skids on it's side on the surface.

Might be good in sandy straight where it will bury but even then on a boat my size it still drags like a plough - they aren't big enough for a heavier boat.

A heavy chain which would make it effectively heavier still doesn't make it work.

Stuart
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Bugger, I have one sitting here not used. Might sell it.