PDA

View Full Version : What boat you pick?

smashed crabs
30-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Hello people

Im looking into a suitable mono boat to go reef fishing or ton running in i have 4 to pick from , the reason why i picked these there is because the Hp requirements are conciderably low compared to other mono hulls , cheaper to run and handle rough seas a lot better than other styles.

Ocean Cylinder ,deep V

Stabi Craft ,deep V

Yamaha long boat , not sure ?

Any type of Rigid inflatable, deep V

Im looking at any one of these around 6m

What would be your pick of a boat listed here and why,are any of them suitable to fish from or are they crap boats?

Does anyone know if any body here make a plastic deep V pontoon style boat like a Ocean Clylinder or a Stabi Craft ?

I went fishing out of the' Magic Pudding' nee 'Shutter Bug' an 7.3m? Ocean Clylinder , and it was oresome , went to the shelf some 100km out and it chewed bugger all fuel and run through the water like a hot knife through butter, i really loved it, so im on the hunt and it would be good to hear some outside thoughts

Cheers
Smashed Crabs

Scott nthQld
30-03-2010, 10:06 AM
SC, check out Ocean craft, a rigid inflatable style boat, but all alloy. Capable of carrying heavy loads and a very stable fishing platform.

the 6m "caloundra Class Reef fishing boat" looks like just what you are after, minimal hp (rec 70hp max 115) work load upto 2.1t

http://www.oceancraft.com.au/

FNQCairns
30-03-2010, 10:30 AM
if spending new and therefore premium dollars esp as many of them will just fly away never to be seen again personally i would use this starter for your equation on those boats.

Bumpy
Bumpy
Soft
Bumpy

cheers fnq

siegfried
30-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Ocean cylinder or kiwicraft , both have signifigant deadrise and offer a ride superior to any tin boat I have been in the stabi is too hard riding imo. try and test any of em though just too make sure your happy.

FNQCairns
30-03-2010, 01:21 PM
You could be right, I was assuming not much has changed this lot of years.

krazyfisher
30-03-2010, 06:28 PM
longboat
goodwin/southwind/yamaha etc

They have a good ride cheap on fuel

tunaticer
30-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I still like the polycraft for its ability to take a good knock and are virtually unsinkable. No corrosion problems to ever worry about is a big bonus.

stinky-stabi
30-03-2010, 07:47 PM
stabi for me ...went through this myself
ocean cylinder way over priced...17500 for 4.5 tiller steer
ocean creaft ..very cheap but look it to ...i live just up from the factory
and so on ....looked at every option....
better to ask some one who has looked into then some of the dreamers who know every thing ...like boat salesman :)

krazyfisher
31-03-2010, 05:45 AM
just so you know I have looked into them all and went with the long boat

suzygs1000
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey, Smashed Crabs,

You live in the home of one of the best reef boats made in the Borger Cat!

Don't know your budget, but I would certainly be talking to Paul before I bought anything.

Dave.

ifishcq1
02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
SC
if you are still in the hunt after the other news go the longboat better ride more room and the best of the bunch economy wise that is where the poly boats fall down even though they are way more comfortable than any tinny
and to the stabi craft and ocean cylinder fans, yes I have done plenty of miles in all of them

Cheers

smashed crabs
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
hey thanks guys for everything , i should of stopped this the other day , i will say i will be looking at your suggestions at some point but i just have to get the other shit sorted .

Thanks again

please to everyone do not post towards this thread , to tired to think, by the time i get my hull ( if i get it ?) and then look at buying all the materials to finish it and then pay for labour , i wont be able to even think about another boat, everthing is just rooted right now