PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiin hooks, snaps ect

.:::stotty:::.
29-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, whats the go about these things?

I haven't ever used them and not looking to use them all the time but they seem to do the trick on the lighter species such as popper fishing for sooty's, toga ect.

Bought some Yo-Zuri size 1's (8kg) for some poppers, currently looking over an opened megabass pop x brouchure and it states that using a snap will actually improve the walking action.

So whats the go? Pros and Cons, I can see the main pro being no loss in leader length and the easabilty of changing lures for different structures/water depth.

Whats the cons?

Cheers Stotty

Horse
29-03-2010, 08:13 PM
If I'm using a snap at the terminal end I prefer the Hawaiian style snap. I have never had one fail. They can be a pain to use at times. I normally use them on wire. On mono I prefer to lose a bit every now and thenewhen knotting to make sure the leader gets replaced regularly

NAGG
31-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I use Yo-Zuri #3 & 4s to attach stingers to my barra soft plastics ....... fail proof so far ( but came close once).

Much rather use a loop knot between the leader & the tow point though :) - I've seen a few fish bite down and open all types of snaps

Chris

Brent_P
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I have used Yozuri Hawaiian snaps size 3 and 4 on all my outfits offshore for 4 or 5 years and never had a problem with them or a failure. Beware of cheaper Hawaiian snaps - I've had one straighten and some open too easily.

I carry a lot of pre-tied traces with swivels tied at their ends, and when I want to change rigs I just clip one on the Hawaiian snap tied at the end of my wind-on. When jigging, I use a split ring to attach the trace to the jig, so I don't have a snap near the jig, but I do attach Raiders etc and hard-bodied trolling lures directly to the snaps and I've never lost a fish (and a lure) because a Yozuri snap opened.

I've never used the size 1 Yozuri Hawaiian snaps, but if they really do have a breaking strain of 8kg, you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Brent.