PDA

View Full Version : Algae in carpet

maru222
29-03-2010, 05:09 PM
any ideas on KILLING algae in carpet that does not fade or discolour carpet. i have pressure cleaned / scrubbed it before but has grown back ,so the spores must still be in it

thanks
>:( dave

ozbee
29-03-2010, 05:21 PM
salt water

Horse
29-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Mix a little copper sulphate in water and drench it. Pool shops will sell it

oldboot
29-03-2010, 11:42 PM
In my view there is no such thing as a clean carpet.
But
there are a variety of things that will knock mould or growth on carpet.

salt and lots off it ...may work

copper sulphate ( as mantioned above) is a common mould killer used in gardening and other things.

Swinging the PH, can be helpfull........application of acid ( vinegar or citric) in turn with bicarb can work.....all moulds, alge and lichen have a prefeered PH range.....shifting the PH can knock em rotten

Citric acid is used in industrial cleaning and medical cleaning and shifts or kills all sorts of stuff... vinegar is slightly less effective.

The big advantage of bicarb followed by citric is that it fizzes and with a little detergent foams that lifts the muck out of the carpet.

but remember all these things are corrosive, especially if they are not completely rinsed out.

Neat fabric softener has been touted as the product of choice on bimini tops and I cant see why it would not work on carpet..

Or think of one of the gardening fungusides like Mankozeb.

I supose you will have to try a few things ad see what works.

Remember all of these things will have to be left on for a period to be allowed to work.

be sure to let us know how you go.

cheers

sleepygreg
30-03-2010, 02:01 AM
quarter of a teaspoon of oil of cloves in a litre of water. put it in one of those trigger spray bottles, and lightly mist the carpet. a couple of days later you just vacuum the carpet and the mould is gone.....and the spores are dead also. May take a couple of applications. Most of the other chemicals (the ones that wont melt the carpet) only kill or bleach the live mould and dont kill the spores.

(method courtesy of Shannon Lush - of "speed Cleaning" fame).

And it bluddy works!!!!!

Greg

maru222
30-03-2010, 08:00 AM
i will try the copper sulphate first and let you know
thanks guys

regards
dave

Far side
30-03-2010, 08:23 AM
2 caps of bleach in 4 litres of water mix in some suds and scrub with brush
plenty of water to wash off