PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin Heads Up

bluefin59
29-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Guys i thought i would post some info on some work i have had done to my 6yr old 670hr bluefin predator , i started of with a cracked floor board and a small fuel leak and ended up with a job bigger than ben hur . With the couple of problems i had i thought i would get a rod locker installed at the same time,I thought i would get the boys from ORIGIN BOATS to do the rod locker and some other work done at the same time ,now after 6 yr of fairly regular fishing the inside was starting to look a little shabby and i wanted to replace my underfloor fuel lines ,what was uncovered was a surprise to say the least . Once the broken board was pulled out what was discovered was the fuel outlet at the top of the underfloor tank had been fractured a little and a small amount of fuel had been leaking onto the top of the tank and down into the bilge ,though it was only small it had reacted with the timber that bluefin put under the tank to support it so that had to be fixed so out came the tank . Also once the floor boards came up it was soon realized that the other boards which were fairly cheap bits of ply where also in need of replacement so the decision was made to replace all the decks and carpet and install a product called CELUKA its a plastic product that is 12 mm replaceing the 9 mm rubbish , this stuff is way lighter than ply i believe a third of the weight and will not rot so for all intense and purpose it should outlast the boat . Once all the boards where pulled a couple of monsters appeared in the way of cracking in the members that attach to the ribs on the front casting deck ,there was also some cracking at the back in where the batteries where mounted ,so the ORIGIN boys went to it and after ripping out the tank started welding up the bracing and gussetting the front deck and building a proper totally independent battery carrier system and building a rod locker so i could also use it as a casting platform . The job took a week all new decking new fuel and breather lines ,rod locker ,battery carrier ,all the strengthening of the front deck,new carpet through out and painting to match it all back up . So to all you bluefin owners just keep an eye on the welds under deck on your front casting deck and battery carriers and the floor boards ,this probably relates more to the fins 5yrs or older as my mates newer one seems a bit better in the ply department at least ,structually the actual full has with stood some hell punishment over the last 6yrs and 670 hrs so i am more than happy with having to do what i have had done by ORIGIN BOATS col and the guys have done a great job and delivered me a boat that is like new only better ,their knowledge and work is fantastic and after seeing some of the boats and projects he has underway i know who will be building my new custom plate boat in the next couple of years .Thanks for reading and i hope a few of you blokes can take something from my experience .This is not to trash BLUEFIN boats ,they build a great boatin my opinion but to a price and i dont think your average bloke would do the hours out that i have so wear and tear is part of boats . I have also attached some photos of before and after ,thanks for reading ...matt8-) 8-) 8-)

To all you blokes looking at a new plate boat after seeing col and the boys work i would be at least getting them to do me a quote there work is great ORIGIN BOATS unit 2 33-35 grice street Clontarf PH; 32840778 THANKS RICHARD great job mate;D ;D ;D

neil_stessco
29-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice work there mate should have a great fishing platform now. We had similar problems with the 4.5 viking but was fixed under warranty luckily.

shrunken pojie
29-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Those boys at ORIGIN do a great job don't they. Its not only bluefins that have those kind of problems. Anyone with an older tinny should regularly check under the floor for any issues to catch them before they turn nasty.

AnthonyL
29-03-2010, 11:28 PM
My 4year old bluefins floor was soft so I pulled it up and replaced the crap ply that was used and replaced it with marine ply.

I wasnt expecting cheap crap ply underneath but its all new now and everything else looks good underneath.

bluefin59
30-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Well i took the boat out for a run today and it actually has a significant difference in performance the motor seems to be running a lot less revs for the speed ,even towing the boat there is some difference i just wish i had wieghed it before and after ,the rod locker works a treat so nomore rods in the car to travel and it makes a great casting deck . I am more than happy having changed out the boards and all the other work ,its a shame that bluefin let them selves down with such minor issues but i would still recomend them for an of the shelf boat but for a great boat ORIGIN BOATS will be getting my business again ...matt

murf
30-03-2010, 03:37 PM
thanks for the heads up as I have the 2004 4.75m C/C

I have been gunna lift all the floor boards now for a couple of years, just can't bring myself to take it off the water and then have to work on her haha

had soft floor board for four years but has not got any worse, I presumed it would be cheap ply but am waiting for it to make me fix it haha

CELUKA its a plastic product that is 12 mm replaceing the 9 mm rubbish what is this stuff and how much $$$? sounds interesting

cheers Murf

bluefin59
30-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Murf if you google celuka it gives you all the good story on it I think its around 1$150 a sheet and 3 sheets wereenough to do my entire floor it is lightweight ,fire retardent cemical proof and apparently way stong ,its all on the web site i figure it will outlast the boat...matt

murf
30-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Murf if you google celuka it gives you all the good story on it I think its around 1$150 a sheet and 3 sheets wereenough to do my entire floor it is lightweight ,fire retardent cemical proof and apparently way stong ,its all on the web site i figure it will outlast the boat...matt

do you know which product exactly it was as there are so many forms of it, and what company supplied it :)

cheers Murf

bluefin59
30-03-2010, 05:49 PM
murf P.M sent..matt

marty+jojo
31-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey Matt, looks good mate. Are you going to carpet the rod locker? Have you fitted rod holders in there yet?
Marty.

bluefin59
31-03-2010, 09:52 PM
No marty i havent carpeted the inside yet ,i am going to make some rod holders similar to the ones in the photos out of some leftover celuka that i got of col . I am going to do a template out of 3mm ply first tosee if i can get the idea to work they come out of U.S bass boats them i am going to carpet the lot mate...matt

adrian johnson
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
know what u mean i ll say n more about how my bluefin needed major well repairs but still got a blue fin

bluefin59
04-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Adrian feel free to express your opinion ,i am a diehard bluefin fan all in all its been a great boat and at this stage i wouldnt have changed my mind for anything . After the amount of time i have had my boat i see it as a small issue that i have had and part of regular maintanance in the long term so open up mate it might make a difference to someone else who owns a fin or wants to buy one it actually may make a difference you might be surprised by who watches these threads ...matt

bluefin59
06-04-2010, 06:00 PM
This is the rod rack i have made out of the left over celuka ,it holds 9 baitcaster outfits all setup and about 6 spinners and i fitted both trolling rods and 4 spinners so i am more than happy only the carpet to do next week ...matt;D ;D

marty+jojo
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Looks good Matt.
Marty.

FireFly
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Great job Matt, that rod locker has come up a treat!

Took my much loved Bluefin Predator to Hutchies last Thursday and during clean up noticed a soft spot in the floor. Thought I'd check it out on here before I go bisurk and came across your post Matt...thanks a ton for taking the time to write this :thumbsup: REALLY appreciated!! It will stand me in good stead if any Gremilns show their ugly heads when I lift the boards next weekend. Thanks for the heads up on the welds too, will now check it out thoroughly.

If it's not to much trouble could you also shoot me details on where to purchase Celuka, I'm in North Brisbane too.

Love the Origin Boat sticker in the photo, bet the boys at Bluefin love that;D;D

Also, do the guys at Origin do general boat repairs just in case I strike similiar issues to what you had??

Cheers Rob.

bluefin59
09-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks rob i hope this info has helped some the celuka is from a company called

York Precision Plastic
Moonbie street
Brendale Brisbane
PH: 07 38889 9922
I dont know what arrangment they have selling to the public but i am sure they will help you it is a bit more expensive than marine ply but i figure it will outlast the boat ,it is also way lighter so much so that i am noticing way better fuel ecconomy and i notice the difference towing it as well . Col at ORIGIN is more than willing to help you if you have a problem that needs fixing and does gret work ,the welding and gusseting is A1 i would recomend him and Richard to anyone needing some alterations on there boat or wanting a custom boat . I hope this info helps rob and if you want to have a look send me a PM with a ph Number and i will call you to arrange a time for a look if you want Thanks again ...matt

ORIGIN BOATS 2/33 Grice street Clontarf PH: 07 3284 0778

FireFly
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Cheers matt, you're a champion!:dankk2:

I'll definately be seeing the guys about the Celuka at Brendale next week.

I've also been getting really frustrated with my live bait tank set up being mounted so low in the right rear casting deck as it continually overflows into the hull and requires bilging. I have been considering giving the rear end a face lift so will no doubt also talk to Col or Richard in coming weeks.
I'm thinking of having a transom wall built around the motor well which will allow me to mount a decent bait board and possibly fit a bait tank that drains into the well. This will free up the casting platform which currently houses the Livey tank. All dreams at this stage but will keep AusFish posted.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

bluefin59
26-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Well sadly I need to update this info, it seems the celuka wasn't such a great idea either as ihave just arrived in Hervey Bay to fish for thenext week and I have found my floor has turned to almost jelly and spongy so I am going to have to replace it again this time with ply and new carpet BUGGER . Anyway apart from not recommending celuka and being way disappointed I have a to think of thickness of ply and what sort would be the go so recommend away , I can get hold of builders ply but I think it would be a bit heavy ( 19 mm ) I think but I can check that next week but recommending ply thickness ( I though 12 or 15 mm ) and sort of ply would help thanks , Matt

Dan5
26-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Well sadly I need to update this info, it seems the celuka wasn't such a great idea either as ihave just arrived in Hervey Bay to fish for thenext week and I have found my floor has turned to almost jelly and spongy so I am going to have to replace it again this time with ply and new carpet BUGGER . Anyway apart from not recommending celuka and being way disappointed I have a to think of thickness of ply and what sort would be the go so recommend away , I can get hold of builders ply but I think it would be a bit heavy ( 19 mm ) I think but I can check that next week but recommending ply thickness ( I though 12 or 15 mm ) and sort of ply would help thanks , Matt

I re-done my Bluefin with 12mm mate it's fine they have plenty of crossbrace's under there to support it...paint it with either everdure or monocell I have used both and t lasts along time.

Dan

Noelm
27-12-2015, 06:53 AM
There is lots of different types of ply made, some cheap and OK, and some quite expensive, but much better, cheap construction ply bought at Bunnings and the like, called CD ply, has one reasonably surface, and one with lots of knots, it is pretty waterproof, but is very flimsy to walk on, because of all the voids in the layers, it also splits and splinters when cut, Marine ply of the same thickness is much stronger, and has both sides very smooth, mainly because it is often finished with some sort of clear coat and this is used in furniture and feature pieces, Marine ply should be sealed around the edges if used as a floor, I have found over time, the edges just sort of crumble away with the moisture that gets trapped there, especially with carpet.

bluefin59
27-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Thank Noelm I think at this stage the marine ply sealed where I cut will be the go but not sure if carpet is the answer I am after for underfoot but it's probably the only thing I can put in the bluefin that isn't going to blow out when towing up the highway .? Matt

Dan are you sure 12 mm will be fine , I would hope so as you said plenty of support underneath to hold it I guess . Matt

scottar
27-12-2015, 07:47 AM
I used 12mm CD ply in my old Savage. A few coats of fence/deck oil right around prior to install and a quick periodical coat ( about every 4 or 5 years ) and it lasted 20 years. It was stored indoors when not in use and the carpet was deliberately removable though.

Dan5
27-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Thank Noelm I think at this stage the marine ply sealed where I cut will be the go but not sure if carpet is the answer I am after for underfoot but it's probably the only thing I can put in the bluefin that isn't going to blow out when towing up the highway .? Matt

Dan are you sure 12 mm will be fine , I would hope so as you said plenty of support underneath to hold it I guess . Matt

Yeah mate 12mm is fine..........Coat everything with whatever you choose though just not the edge's alone.
Monocell from Bunnings woks well to be honest just thin the first coat by 50% and it will soak in then re-coat with 100%.
Cd ply is fine Marine ply is better it has more laminates so it has more glue which helps water proof it but if coated properly CD is more than good enough..

Theres plenty of supports in the Bluefins much more than a comparable other brand tinny size for size IMO I think they had 12mm as standard but the ply they used was utter rubbish which is a shame.

Well what are you waiting for matt go get the Jigsaw out and get into it ol' fella!

Dan

PS Checkout that Diamond Deckstuff.......seems to be all the rage ATM...............I put rubber tube matting in mine I like that shit it's easy to clean

bluefin59
27-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks scottar cd is what I will use and coat it with something like you guys suggested .

Thanks dan the diamond deck looks interesting it might be an option , Northside marine just down the road from me sell it apparently . Enough of the old fella thing though at 56 I am only a young pup , better get back in the boat and go fishing and worry about it all starting next week . Today's catch at big woody island at Hervey Bay yummy.... Matt111881

chris69
27-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Exterior ply BC face Matt and i got a 4.8lt 5to1 epoxy kit a few weeks ago from Montys marina for under a $100 a bit better than fence paint.

scottar
27-12-2015, 03:59 PM
The beauty of oiling it is if it needs another coat there is zero prep work. Just apply the new coat and it soaks in - used to take 5 minutes. It may cause a problem if you want to stick anything to it though. If you are going to glue carpet or similar to it something like epoxy will possibly be the go.

Dan5
27-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks scottar cd is what I will use and coat it with something like you guys suggested .

Thanks dan the diamond deck looks interesting it might be an option , Northside marine just down the road from me sell it apparently . Enough of the old fella thing though at 56 I am only a young pup , better get back in the boat and go fishing and worry about it all starting next week . Today's catch at big woody island at Hervey Bay yummy.... Matt111881

Thought you'd like that!

bluefin59
16-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Ok so now I am so now I am stuck working 12 hr days 6 days a week and don't have time to fish or fix my friggin floor so can someone recommend someone on the Northside who will do a proper job for me , I want ply that is sealed properly and that's going to last and grey carpet put back in any recommendations appreciated ...Matt

bluefin59
16-02-2016, 05:58 PM

This is what I want replaced ,it's a 4.5 mt bluefin with a rod locker thanks again .. Matt

bluefin59
16-02-2016, 06:00 PM
I have found a bloke called Mick Flynn on the Internet has anyone heard of him or had work done by him ... Matt

bluefin59
03-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Well it's turned out I can't find someone do my floor the way I want it's all too hard so I have decided to do it myself so I started by pulling out the floor and having a look underneath and I am pretty happy except for some crap that will need cleaning after pulling up the floatation . http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/796bdc116567fb50223e4c6de3313afa.jpg
Then I went to Jandah ply and bought some 12 mm exterior grade hardwood ply , 3 sheets cost about $180 .
Then I went to Bunnings to buy some monosell to seal the ply but the women in the painting section that it wouldn't be appropriate so she tried to ring bondall in WA for some advice but they weren't open , so I called them later and they recommended another product that will seal all surfaces especially the edges .http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/a78db75ef5a7aadf6aa6e2e7af2d4b80.jpg

I spent yesterday measuring and cutting ply to fit leaving 5 mm everywhere using packers so to allow for new carpet , I jig sawed all the edge bits for the rod locker and down the other side and seems to have come up ok so I am happy . http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/217ff40e7714d5453da1c4df1c469821.jpg

I only have the pedestal wholes to cut out and the screw holes to drill and the carpeting will begin , blue is the colour I chose and got my carpet from Northside marine after looking at the Bunnings rubbishy and also went to bcf which was ok but I liked the one I got from Northside marine better and I get discount there that made it heaps cheaper than BCF . Thanks Northside Marine again for looking after me http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/9546f5994412ed25e728eb52ae75a432.jpg

I will waterproof what I have done next week after I get around to doing the last of the trimming and drilling the ply, I am also going to use indoor outdoor carpet glue supplied buy our carpet layer at work who does a few boats at times and tells me that contact breaks down especially in salt water . The glue he is going to acquire for me goes on with a 3 mm gauge trowel and you just do the ply and you get a little time to work on it and when I wrap it around I will staple the edges with stainless steel staples that have just arrived today.

I will do the front deck after I have done what I have prepared so far as I want to change my front deck a little but want to think about it a bit more ,I will update this post as more gets done and hopefully it will give others the motivation to do it themselves ,thanks Matt http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/4987d4b34fb428657098795e1a80b6e6.jpg

bluefin59
05-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Well got my glue today as promised , probably enough to do 3 boats but that's ok it won't go rotten . It appears to have all the properties I need so I will finish preparing my ply this week and then cut my carpet and glue it down next week end , it's all happening now .... Matthttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/6638b232b9a918098536fcd032ad641a.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/14e7fb88351f014cdcf4c79e46df651f.jpg

bluefin59
16-05-2016, 07:17 PM
113178113178So I cut the boards and waterproofed them and carpeted them wow a lot of work to get it right but it seems worth the effort. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160516/81e6d86d8f8dc08fe33f434b904e2003.jpg
I used a product for the screws called Tefgel for the screws into the alloy http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160516/b117d0f517e5c247b40ee25797651d70.jpg
After I finish screwing down the floor and fitting of the console its up the front casting deck where the trouble will start as its a lot of measuring and fidilly cuts to get it
To be continued next week .,, Matthttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160517/feff120766b2bb4278abf7ed4c5332fb.jpg

bluefin59
17-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Hey DAN I tried to message you but it says your inbox is full ...Matt

bluefin59
29-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Front deck now cut and waterproofed , carpet goes on tomorrow so I will be out next weekend I reckon . Matt http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/700c55dd425a89cf9a53f3b2341d6dd2.jpg

Dan5
29-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Hey DAN I tried to message you but it says your inbox is full ...Matt

Sorted now bud

bluefin59
05-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Ok so now I am done the floor is replaced and carpeted ready to go fishing next weekend , all up cost was less than $400 I might do a tally in the next week or so but I am more than happy with the end result. I hope this encourages others to have a go at it , it's probably 2 full days work if you where organised and had the spare time ..., Matt http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/718ca65447c30ccb2c5857afcb1e04f0.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/423cc662901fea86907dad62efb6584b.jpg

Lovey80
05-06-2016, 09:31 PM
So Matt, do you think it was just a case of Bluefin not sealing the ply before putting it down the first time?

I built a front casting deck up nice and high in my Webster Twinfisher 4.3cc with piano hinges so each of the doors into the storage underneath were a little smaller and all I did was multiple coats of thick paint after an undercoat before carpeting and they have been fine now for at least 5 years.

bluefin59
06-06-2016, 04:31 AM
The original ply was crap , looked like it was of a packing crate and it in the first year when a mate of mine who is a large man stepped heavily on he ply from a pontoon and onto the ply where the fuel tank is . Since then origin put some more bracing on that area and they used a product called cellucah which turned out to be as big a failure as ply ... Matt

Dan5
06-06-2016, 07:58 AM
The original ply was crap , looked like it was of a packing crate and it in the first year when a mate of mine who is a large man stepped heavily on he ply from a pontoon and onto the ply where the fuel tank is . Since then origin put some more bracing on that area and they used a product called cellucah which turned out to be as big a failure as ply ... Matt

Yep the factory stuff was more like thick cardboard...........looks good now Matt I hope the first macky you land on the new floor appreciates it!