PDA

View Full Version : How to make a bow rail

yeldub
29-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyone know if it's easy enough to make your own bow rail or should I get it professionally made? Any advice would be appreciated on either way would be appreciated. Trying to not spend a fortune and would be happy to give it a go.

Cheers

deckie
29-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Have u got the equipment and how good are u at welding 316 stainless as well as tube bending ? I guess u can get away without the welding by using cast fittings but wouldnt be as strong and the price may end up the same as a pro job anyway.
Fairly important considerations before starting.

Are looks important ?

trueblue
29-03-2010, 03:59 PM
If you had access to the necessary equipment, you probably wouldn't have to ask the question...

you need to be good at general fabrication, tube bending, TIG welding and metal polishing, otherwise you risk it not looking so good.

STUIE63
29-03-2010, 04:02 PM
don't forget to pickle the welds

FNQCairns
29-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I saw the end result of a mates, he did it all himself, could weld obviously. He had no bending equipment and simply made the forward bend and all the lesser ones by working the length around/along a tree trunk.

I couldn't tell the difference from a new and 10 times more expensive aluminium one, although i dunno but I suspect SS of the correct gauge could be worked much the same.

cheers fnq

yeldub
29-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Must admit that I assumed there wouldn't be any welding involved as I thought the rail would feed through rings in the uprights. Originally thought it would be just a matter of bending the rail, feeding it through the rings and attaching to the boat.

I have welded before at home but wouldn't feel confident enough on the bow rail. Happy to wreck the house but not the boat :)

Think I'll go have a good look at how they are made and get a quote on a custom made job. If any has a rough idea on cost I'd love to know. Pretty basic one for a 4.9 meter Mustang runabout. Roughly 60cm high at the bow and tapering down to the deck at the windscreen.

Cheers.

shano
29-03-2010, 08:56 PM
$400-$600 in ally. alot more in stainless.
there is alot of hours involved with the bending and finishing. remember ally can pollish up nice.

fez
29-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I was going to say send Shano a PM, but he has answered above, there are a few members who have had work done by Shano and they all seemed happy.

fez