PDA

View Full Version : Middle of Peak Hour

ON-THE-CHEW
27-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Went for my final offshore trip for at least a month (birth of child pending), so had to make it a good one. Had a great trip out on Wednesday (Spanish Airforce post) so hopes where high. Was at cleveland boat ramp by 5.15 and was already packed, with this being the first good weekend day in about two months.

Wanted to hit some shallow reefs early to get some popping in after the success of wednesday but knew our chances where below average with the amount of boats that would be out. Had a couple of mates Lanks and Matty on board, and as expected our first spot had six boats trolling up and down. Still thought give it a go, about third drift in saw something get nailed on the surface out of the corner of my eye and quickly chucked a cast in.

One pop and I got smashed, he swam straight at me and then realised he was hooked, another nice surface display and then we went for the reef. It was touch and go for a while with me nearly going over the side once even with the rail but up she pops a nice GT caught in amongst all of these other boats. Scaled her in at 27kg, but the scales bottoms out at that so not sure of total weight, but she was thick across the shoulders. Got a few photos and back in the water to fight another day. Two trips with the new rod and two great fish.;D

Decided to go and have a look in some deeper water to get away from the traffic, found a potential pearly spot in 80 metres of water. I have no idea on where to get pearlies, if any one would like to help me out would be muchly appreciated. Then thought I would try and get Matty and Lanks onto some dolphin fish, so took them down to the wave rider bouy. We were cleaning up until everyone else turned up and decided sitting right next to the bouy with their motor running is the best way of keeping the fish biting.>:(

Headed back two a few of the shallow reefs again Lanks got absolutely dusted up twice in two drifts by something very fast on the bottom and then it was pretty quiet so decided to call it a day.

Counting down the days to due date (next offshore trip;D ) already.
Andrew

jtpython
27-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Top Popping mate . He's a cracker
JT

FireFly
27-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Awesome fish Andrew ...absolute bruiser! What depth do call 'shallow' popping?

Rob

bushweek
27-03-2010, 09:23 PM
....(drooling)..... nice fish mate, do you head out through south passage or round the cape?

PlasticFantastic
27-03-2010, 09:43 PM
That's a better bend then the Spaniard put in the rod the other day and yeah I like the first two photos with the sun behind you they came out well. I caught some Trevs at Dunwich today that were in the 20's that is cm not kilos unfortunately.

PlasticFantastic

geeb
28-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Great read - excellent photos - trust the baby will be a new PB...........cheers.............Geeb

the baker
28-03-2010, 08:47 AM
that is a nice fish well done

Dave

Horse
28-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Another great fish. You certainly have those shallow reefs worked out well. What sort of rods are you using for throwing the poppers?

Cheers

Neil

ON-THE-CHEW
28-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Bushweek
we went out through south passage, amity channel, it has shallowed up a lot since all of the shit weather.
Neil,
I have a seven seas popping rod, pricey bit worth it. Not a lot of rods can handle the drag you run for this style of fishing.

Andrew

Midnight
28-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Good onya Andrew. It is great when a plan comes together eh

Very satisfying when you fish a method a little out of the ordinary for the region and catch good fish. You are onto it with the popping at the moment.

Have fun!
Cheers,
Myles

nickstock
28-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Went for my final offshore trip for at least a month (birth of child pending), so had to make it a good one.
Andrew

Thanks for a great read Andrew!

The missus is keen to move back down south in about 2 years and posts like this are a real saving grace for me when the idea of moving south is mentioned after living north of Innisfail for about 13 of my 24 years!

Good to see some top fish coming aboard in SE waters.

Good luck with the little tacker mate and you will be back on the water before you know it!

Cheers,
Nick

Scalem
28-03-2010, 04:01 PM
A month without fishing? I suppose that's realistic, two weeks either side of the birth is fair;D;D

Nice work, it's a little frustating with all the boats out, but conditions were pretty nice all the same and you got a classy fish with the odds against you. Time to play "eye of the tiger' up loud, that's motivating stuff!

Scalem

MattChew
30-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Top GT Andrew ... you look a little tired there mate .. time to hit the Gym.

Ta
Matt

jarhead
31-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Cracker GT Andrew, top fish mate.

Wal

GPB
31-03-2010, 11:07 AM
A nice way to finish up before your 'Maternity' leave from fishing Andrew ;D , you'll be bracing at the bit in a month.
Happy Easter :D

ON-THE-CHEW
01-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Nick,
I would love to live up north but I am in the same boat you will be and I am not allowed to move north of brisbane. The fish are here but not as near as many as up north add in a lot more boat traffic.

Mattchew,
To say I was buggered was an understatement, but it is all worth it.

Andrew

LostNearBribie
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Stonker! What a great few pics, they tell a story.
Boat looks great, what is it?

ON-THE-CHEW
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
LostNearBribie,
It is a 5.5m Galeforce, fibre glass centre console. I have added a cage on the front for popping and jigging and also a detachable canopy.

Andrew