PDA

View Full Version : Help from someone in Gosford NSW or near by

NTMID8
27-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Guys,

I have a bit of a favour to ask, im looking at a boat in Gosford and would like if someone near by (who knows a bit about glass boats) would be kind enough to swing by and let me know an honest opinion of what they think of the boat. Its in a boat yard, ive seen picks of it and am aware that the upholestry is a little average and the boats hull is faded (cosmetic appearance i can live with) but i dont wanna drive 1500km to find thats its a bucket!

Im prepared to pay someone for there time, aslong as they give an honest opinion, im interested in the condition of the boat (seaworthyness) over minor cosmetic issues (i have contacts to rectify those issues)

If anyone can help (without buying it from under mehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon8.gif) i would really appreciate it.

Call me on 0423 969 299
or email
benrenee@adam.com.au

Cheers

Ben

Daisy Burnett
28-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Ben
Personally I am not in a position to help you and people may be reluctant to put their hand up and take the responsibility for your purchase. I would however suggest that you do a little research into a professional marine surveyer in the area and have them look at it for you. It should give you the peace of mind you require. I did the same thing when I had to travel 1000 K to look at a boat and it worked out well for me. Good Luck,

Cheers
Daisy

NTMID8
28-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Ben
Personally I am not in a position to help you and people may be reluctant to put their hand up and take the responsibility for your purchase. I would however suggest that you do a little research into a professional marine surveyer in the area and have them look at it for you. It should give you the peace of mind you require. I did the same thing when I had to travel 1000 K to look at a boat and it worked out well for me. Good Luck,

Cheers
Daisy

Thank you, i have been searching for a while trying to figure out what that proffesion was called! I will be giving a couple of places a call tomorrow so hopefully they can have a look at the boat ASAP and i can then drive up there knowing its not a lemon. Im pretty confident that the boat is ok as i wouldnt imagine to many 96 model boats to be suffering from rot or have serious structural problems.

Cheers

Ben

stevej
28-03-2010, 05:22 PM
14 years of neglect anything can happen
poor installation of transom fittings even some dealers cant put a engine on properly

Jarrah Jack
28-03-2010, 08:45 PM
14 years of neglect anything can happen
poor installation of transom fittings even some dealers cant put a engine on properly

The motor wouldn,t be a spring chicken either.

NTMID8
28-03-2010, 08:50 PM
The boat is a 96 haines signature 492f mercury 90hp 2stroke (1996) with 285hrs and stainless prop on a felk trailer.

Roughasguts
28-03-2010, 09:04 PM
All Signatures leak from the transom. Mine has 24 bolt and screw intrusions in it.
And yesterday I finally found/ fixed, the leak in the bottom air chamber, only took 8 years to track it down. Mate up the road same boat similar leak tracked his down to the bungs, not sealed in. Mine wasn't, was the bottom screws on the bait tank pump going all the way through the transom, with no sealer on the threads.

NTMID8
28-03-2010, 09:08 PM
All Signatures leak from the transom. Mine has 24 bolt and screw intrusions in it.
And yesterday I finally found/ fixed, the leak in the bottom air chamber, only took 8 years to track it down. Mate up the road same boat similar leak tracked his down to the bungs, not sealed in. Mine wasn't, was the bottom screws on the bait tank pump going all the way through the transom, with no sealer on the threads.

So you dont recommend the boat? there is nothing bolted onto the transom on this boat other than the factory step ladder. Are there common faults with this model?

Cheers

Ben

Roughasguts
28-03-2010, 09:58 PM
So you dont recommend the boat? there is nothing bolted onto the transom on this boat other than the factory step ladder. Are there common faults with this model?

Cheers

Ben

Nah the boats okay if there looked after, and fitted out and transom properly sealed. But sometimes and in mine and my brothers case the fitters didn't care he my bro ended up with screws through his fuel tank to hold the floor down and that was a 90K 702 Signature.

But anyway Only the steps and ladder you say that means 8 holes for the steps
4 holes for the motor
and 6 holes for the two transom bungs and screws.
Thats 18 holes for a start with out fish finders
Bait tank pumps and plumbing Etc.

See what I mean any screw that leaks water through to the transom can be bad news for creating rot. Sealer doesn't last forever (S/S screws rust!! when deprived of oxygen, and so must be checked and re done from time to time.

Mate it's all fun and boats are a bit of a gamble you never know what your going to hit or snag around the corner to ruin your day, but that's all part of boating.

Cheers.