PDA

View Full Version : Hydralic steering for my fin

bluefin59
27-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I have been having some small amount of stiff steering problems with my fin ,i pulled it apart at the tilt tube and it was full of what looked like dry grease and crap. I have tried to clean it but i dont have the room to get it right out of the tilt tube to clean it out properly so i am thinking maybe get rid of the old system and put a hydralic system on . What i want to know is are they ok on 60hp motors, and i also see there care a number of different styles ,the one i think would be good is the centre mount model that attaches to either side of the tilt tube is that the go for a boat with a spalsh well and also what brand is recomended for this .
Also how hard is it to install it looks fairly easy but am i missing something that will cause me a problem .Thanks in advance Matt8-)

ozbee
27-03-2010, 06:00 PM
just put a few drops of outboard gearbox oil on the ram each trip in no time it will be as lose as you would ever want it to be . outboard gear oil has detergents in it resistant to water so does not go stiff. it is very efective

jed mcandrew
27-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I have been having some small amount of stiff steering problems with my fin ,i pulled it apart at the tilt tube and it was full of what looked like dry grease and crap. I have tried to clean it but i dont have the room to get it right out of the tilt tube to clean it out properly so i am thinking maybe get rid of the old system and put a hydralic system on . What i want to know is are they ok on 60hp motors, and i also see there care a number of different styles ,the one i think would be good is the centre mount model that attaches to either side of the tilt tube is that the go for a boat with a spalsh well and also what brand is recomended for this .
Also how hard is it to install it looks fairly easy but am i missing something that will cause me a problem .Thanks in advance Matt8-)
i fitted a hydraulic system to my 4.6 seascape best thing i did the old system got bent went some one grabed it to climb aboard after swimming , 60 yamaha 4 stroke

bluefin59
27-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Jed what brand did you use i have been looking at hydrive and baystar and where they easy to fit thanks ..matt

bluefin59
28-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Problem solved thanks for the PMs and the offer of help ,it is better than ever i used the search function and draged up some old threads there is a wealth of knowledge on this site sometimes you dont realize how good this site is thanks again ..matt