PDA

View Full Version : I've Lost that Lovin Feeling..........

nick-o83
27-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Howdy all,

Just seeking some opinions before I act on this feeling i've had lately...... Thinking of selling the old girl, (4.55 poly centre console). I used to get her out at least 3 times a week but this year the fishing "bug" just hasn't eventuated. It seems that every time I venture out I cant raise a scale........

has anyone else been through the same and sold up and regrettted the decision, im thinking if I sell up I will be kicking myself but then Maybe It will give me a renewed passion for boating / fishing and I can purchase a new vessel later in the year........

sorry for the rant, just trying to get some perspective!!!!!!

Nick.

Jabiru658
27-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I feel what you're saying, I was experiencing the same thing and the old girl was gathering dust.

But I've just arranged to sell my 2002 Polycraft 4.55 centre console to a guy at work and I've ordered an Ally Craft 4.25 Reel Mate which I intend to have some fun fitting out.

With what I'm getting for the poly I've got a new rig to play with...

I figure a change is as good as a holiday right? :)

nick-o83
27-03-2010, 07:13 AM
thankx Jabiru,

thats what im thinking.... Sell the ol' poly and then later in the year get another rig. How did u go about selling your rig???

Appreciate the reply!!!!

Nick.

Jabiru658
27-03-2010, 07:23 AM
I didn't actually arrange the sale, my better half just happened to mention to one of the guys at work (who currently fishes out of an older fibreglass half cabin) that I was thinking about selling my poly and he basically said "I've liked that boat ever since I saw it" and he came and saw me and made an offer and I accepted.

He's given me a deposit and gotten his finance approval for the balance and I've put a deposit on the Ally Craft which I'm picking up next week after it's pre-delivered and registered.

It's the easiest sale I've ever made of just about anything to be honest, got to be lucky some times :)

nick-o83
27-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Haha wow!!!!

thats silver plate stuff!!!!

well good luck on your new Ally and the fit out.

thanks again mate.

PinHead
27-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I have not caught any decent fish for about 5 years..and I don't care...have bought and sold a 30' sports cruiser..an 18.5' WA in that time and now just collected a 4.5m tinny..had a lot of fun on the boats but going back to basics. Catching fish is not the reason I love being one the water..it is a bonus. Being on the water, whether on my boat or a couple of charter trips a year is all about that...being on the water..with good company or alone...stress relief and relaxation is the main aim.
(if we depended on my catching fish to eat, we would have starved long ago)

nick-o83
27-03-2010, 07:49 AM
g'day Pinhead. I am thinking it might be a good thing to ditch the current model and get re - acquainted with the love of boating / fishing later this year on a new rig. whats the old adage? "Absence makes the heart grow fonder?"

Love your last sentence and I am very much in the same boat as you on that point!!!!

Cheers

Axl
27-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I must agree with PinHead its not raising the fish that does it for me its being out on the bay and if I manage to bring home a feed its a bonus.

I can get a feed of whiting on most trips and sandies when they are in season but catching legal sized reefies in Moreton Bay is getting dam hard but that doesnt stop me from enjoying myself whilst trying.

As for selling your current rig it may just work out to be a good thing for you as you have said "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and new toys are great.

finga
27-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Bung the boat in the shed and drag it again when the bug bites again.
I nearly did the same with my tiny tinny but the cook told me I had manure for brains so I didn't. I have never regetted her straight fowardness....and the decision to keep her.
The bloke who wanted 'Junior' was not real happy though.

Or if you really want to upgrade/update then sell.

Geoff-
27-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Pinhead's on the money. My old man fishes to catch fish, and he gets the shits when they're not biting and wants to move spot. The best spot is always "over there... over there.. over there". What's the oceanic equivalent of "grass is greener" syndrome?

I fish to relax. I will happily go pull in a few rock cod and wrasse and throw them back, or hit up the lake and play with the juvenile fish that'll latch onto anything. I can't remember the last time I caught a keeper, so it's just as well I don't fish to catch fish. Really, it's just an excuse to sit around in the sun and fresh air and do f*** all!!

Jabiru658
27-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Really, it's just an excuse to sit around in the sun and fresh air and do f*** all!!

Gawd I better not let my missus see that!

She'll be onto me in a flash, she already reckons I don't catch enough fish ;D

Seriously though guys I think you're dead right, it's not just about catching fish... it's the whole experience which is so good at de-stressing and just making me feel good.

ashleyhj74
27-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I recently sold my Spearfish 21, due to complete lack of use (possibly 4 or 5 times max if that in the last 12 months). Do i regret it? Hell yes. Am I ever going to get another boat as good? Possibly not, and thats the realisation i'm currently goin through. Watchin it get towed away by someone else was bad. But then i think, it had a 200 2-stroke 2000 model outboard, the trailer was the original 2000 model to (it was good, but obviously not new), would it've been worth my while spending $20,000+ on a new 4-stroke and another $10,000+ on a trailer in a couple of years? I guess you really don't miss something (and i havent been interested in fishing for ages, like some previous posts) untill its gone. I guess my advice is, think long and hard before you do sell anything. I still regret selling my GU Patrol i had, and selling the Spearfish is probably worse. But, i've now got a 1995 Ford F-Series......always wanted one, wouldnt've got it if i'd still had the Patrol. And i'm goin to look at a Noosa Cat/Shark Cat tomorrow. Always wanted a cat, would'nt have got one with the Spearfish. I guess theres always a positive when you look at things from another way.