PDA

View Full Version : Haines Signature 493F

NTMID8
26-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,

Im looking to purchase my first boat, i have upto about 15k to spend and looking for something in the 4.5-5.5m class. It will be used for fishing primarily around the Wallaroo area with occasional trips to Pt Broughton, Pt Pirie, Whyalla and Coffins bay. I chase mainly whiting (Close to shore) but would like a boat that could go upwards of 30 kilometers offshore (not very often!)

It needs to be able to be launched/retireved by 1 person and be able to be towed by my car (2000 VX SS commodore)

I would have upto a max of 4 adults with only 3 fishing

I went and had a look at a Sundowner 5.3m which i was told was in v/good condition, only to be left a bit dejected as it was very average. I have recently purchased the "Secondhand boat secrets" book which is very informative.

It has listed the Haines Signature 492F and 493F as one of the top 10 all time classic boats, and i have found two that fit in my budget.

Do any of you guys own one of these or have been out in one and can offer me any advice on these boats (handling etc) would you recommend one? if not why not?

I really appreciate the help as i dont want to buy a lemon and not enjoy my time out on the water.

Any other suggestions are welcome i would really like to get a boat within the next few weeks (Hopefully)

Cheers

Ben

Roughasguts
27-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Ben I have a 492 F with a 85 Hp Suzuki on the back, it's a pretty good set up for a small boat can be easily handled by one person launch and retrive, just need a bow rope.

Two adults fishing and 3 kids no problem, but 4 adults sitting in the back (NUP) there not great for room and the engine will sit very low in the water and be hard to get up on the plane unless you move some Pax forward until the nose comes down.

They go like a scalded cat mine will do over 80K's on the GPS, mind you that's on glass condition waters, any quick turn or wave could lead to the hull chine walking at that speed tho and throw all the kids out if your not carefull.

There also a narrow boat 2mtr and will fit in most garages but I would prefer a widerhull, maybe Haines Hunter series.

They bounce around like a cork at rest in a chop but don't tip once they get to a certain angle, the hull just seems to lock up! takes a while to get use to that.

One good thing they hold there value I paid 16.7k for mine 8 years ago.

Cheers.

Jarrah Jack
27-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Seamedia have a good test of one on their website and sum up the hull as being one of their all time favourites.

If you've found one of the 92/93's around the 15k mark you have done very well. I was initially going to say that you wouldn't get one at that price but there you go. If I sell my HH16r they will be the first boat on the list.

NTMID8
27-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Ben I have a 492 F with a 85 Hp Suzuki on the back, it's a pretty good set up for a small boat can be easily handled by one person launch and retrive, just need a bow rope.

Two adults fishing and 3 kids no problem, but 4 adults sitting in the back (NUP) there not great for room and the engine will sit very low in the water and be hard to get up on the plane unless you move some Pax forward until the nose comes down.

They go like a scalded cat mine will do over 80K's on the GPS, mind you that's on glass condition waters, any quick turn or wave could lead to the hull chine walking at that speed tho and throw all the kids out if your not carefull.

There also a narrow boat 2mtr and will fit in most garages but I would prefer a widerhull, maybe Haines Hunter series.

They bounce around like a cork at rest in a chop but don't tip once they get to a certain angle, the hull just seems to lock up! takes a while to get use to that.

One good thing they hold there value I paid 16.7k for mine 8 years ago.

Cheers.

the one im looking at has a 90hp merc 2 stroke on the back.
What is a NUP?
When you say they dont tip do you mean they are unstable in the water or just dont sit heavy?

Cheers

Ben

NTMID8
27-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Also the boat im looking at buying is in Gosford NSW, i live in SA how much do you think it would cost to have it transported over here? Or would i be better off doing the 3000km round trip?

Roughasguts
28-03-2010, 10:02 AM
(NUP) in better words, no way will 4 adults be comfortable in the open area of a 492 or 493F.

Cheers.

NTMID8
28-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Cheers for the heads up, i think realistically no boat less that 5m is going to be comfortable with 4 people so i might just limit it to 2 - 3 people at a time.

Roughasguts
28-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Cheers for the heads up, i think realistically no boat less that 5m is going to be comfortable with 4 people so i might just limit it to 2 - 3 people at a time.

They go well with two, if your on your own with the deep V Bottom you have to steer from the middle otherwise they lean over with you weight, and thats a pain in the Ar$e to rectify.

Argle
29-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I have owned a 493F with a 90HP Merc for the last 9 years, just upgraded to a year to be delivered 580 Signature. Great boat for its length, very soft ride (for its length) and quite stable at rest. In other words if you shift your weight it wont try and throw you overboard! I towed mine with a Falcon wagon for a few years and it wasnt a problem. I cant really fault the boat, its easy to handle one up (with a bow rope as already mentioned) I have fished with three but two is better. The 90 is probably about as heavy as you would want on the back, any more and it would tend to sit a bit bum low in the water - later 493F's were packaged with 70hp Suzi's as the first of the Suz 90's were too heavy, this has been rectified in the latest Suz 90 which would be a good match for the hull. I used mine for fish/ski/cruise and it was a pleasure to own, only upgrading because as my two boys get bigger the boat seems to get smaller (good excuse hey!) I dont think you could go too far wrong with either model, just check the outboard and trailer out as you would with any 2nd hand boat. They will hold resale VERY well if they have been looked after too

Cheers
Scott

NTMID8
29-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I have owned a 493F with a 90HP Merc for the last 9 years, just upgraded to a year to be delivered 580 Signature. Great boat for its length, very soft ride (for its length) and quite stable at rest. In other words if you shift your weight it wont try and throw you overboard! I towed mine with a Falcon wagon for a few years and it wasnt a problem. I cant really fault the boat, its easy to handle one up (with a bow rope as already mentioned) I have fished with three but two is better. The 90 is probably about as heavy as you would want on the back, any more and it would tend to sit a bit bum low in the water - later 493F's were packaged with 70hp Suzi's as the first of the Suz 90's were too heavy, this has been rectified in the latest Suz 90 which would be a good match for the hull. I used mine for fish/ski/cruise and it was a pleasure to own, only upgrading because as my two boys get bigger the boat seems to get smaller (good excuse hey!) I dont think you could go too far wrong with either model, just check the outboard and trailer out as you would with any 2nd hand boat. They will hold resale VERY well if they have been looked after too

Cheers
Scott

Looking to sell yours???? lol

These were the pics that were sent to me of the hull, this is a boat i was looking at in NSW and was told it was a 6.5/10!

Argle
29-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Ha ha sorry mate I traded mine in on a newie (got less coin but avoided tyre kickers and prop pushers) That looks a bit average though - makes you wonder what the rest of its like?

PS there is a PM on its way to you

Cheers
Scott

NTMID8
29-03-2010, 03:53 PM
here is a couple more pics of this 6.5/10 boat

Argle
29-03-2010, 04:14 PM
here is a couple more pics of this 6.5/10 boat

Id hate to see a 5/10 :-X

Keep looking mate

NTMID8
29-03-2010, 04:29 PM
There are so many options my head is hurting lol, a couple of other that have taken my fancy and are in my price range inc:

Haines signature 1550f (1991)
Haines signature 470F (1993)
Yalta craft odessa 1650 (1992)

Im assuming that these are all pretty similar and by the reviews they are all good boats.

Argle
30-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Not really familiar with the Yalta but the 1550 and the 470 Signatures were pre SVDH (Signature Variable Deadrise Hull) and will not ride as well as the 492/493.
Dont be put off though as they are both still nice boats, just be aware of the differences.

Cheers
Scott

NTMID8
30-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah i figured as much but it appears the 470/1550 are good - v/good boats in the 15k mark whereas the 492 are average - shit boats for the same money lol.

It looks like im heading to vic tomorrow to look at a 470f, with any luck its as clean and good as it appears.

Andrew Wylie
08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi to Argle,
This post was posted some time back, was wondering if l could ask you some questions on the time that you had your 493F