PDA

View Full Version : lowrance bits

mojoe1
26-03-2010, 08:07 AM
hi guys on the serach for nmea starter kit and a yamaha interface cable from all the research i think that is all i need to set up motor sounder link. is there any place here in oz or os that anybody found that do a good price and are fast to mail thanks guys.

JDOld07
06-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Got all the gear I required for my Suzuki setup from Trymax. Not sure about mail availability etc from them, but they were very helpful over the phone and had everything waiting for me when I arrived to collect it.

lumox
06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Got all the gear I required for my Suzuki setup from Trymax. Not sure about mail availability etc from them, but they were very helpful over the phone and had everything waiting for me when I arrived to collect it.

Mate how long ago did you get the suzi stuff from trymax?

spelchek
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Mojo, I think bias, whitworths etc (ie most mail order boat shops) sell the lowrance nmea starter kit. Also easily available on ebay. The Yamaha interface cable I'm not so sure of - but I'd say they would be as easy to find.

I've just had that fited to my 40 yammie/HDS 5 and love it. HOWEVER - please be fully aware that the one bit of info that I cannot get is the 'total fuel used' figure. Apparently (according to Lowrance) YAmaha doesn't send this info. The HDS CAN , however, do L/km and L/hr - I have no idea why it can show these figures, but can't work out how much fuel has been used. It seems simple maths to me (for a computer). I've had several conversations with Lowrance, Yamaha and Grand_marlin (from this forum) all with no sucess. I'm waiting to hear back this wek from another person at YAmmie who sounds like he really knows what he's on about - so I'll keep you informed when I find out.

But - BOTTOM LINE is - if you want the 'fuel used' figure (which was my primary reason for fitting it) - you might be better off with a Lowrance fuel flow unit (EP-60) - at least you'l know it works for that purpose.

The yammie/hds interface is pretty good tho (apart from the fuel used issue) - I like having a temp gauge, the economy figures are handy. I also , admittedly, love the 'geek factor'. But I AM pretty dissapointed that the fuel used figure is unavailable. I'm planning to fit the EP60 as well if there is no other answere.

Please shoot me a pm if you want to chat about it further or I can help in any way. Glad to see another noggin is going to be applied to this problem. Hopefully between the two of us we can sort it or find a work-around.

mojoe1
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
thanks spelchek for your info yes u are right bias has the nmea starter kit but its the interface cable that gets me price in oz is steep compeared to sum prices ive seen in the usa but nill stock till mid april. being a tiller steer i have no gauge what so ever and was thinking this would be a simple way to go .good advice all the same please keep me posted on the ep60 if u go that way would like to know how it went mojoe

spelchek
06-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Mojo, for what it's worth, I got my interface cable through Bundaberg Marineland and there was only a wait of ~5 days. I only had it done about a month ago. Can't imagine they've sold out in Oz since then. Give Dale a call if you're interested. I think I paid around $150 mark - from memory - for the yammie interface cable.

Once again - it's a very good system, especially for someone in your situation with no gauges whatsoever. Makes sense to utilise the gps/sounder for that purpose.

I will keep you informed of anything I find re: fuel usage and/or the EP60 if i fit it. I have sen the EP60 in action on a friends boat (old 2strk Johnson) and it seems a good piece of kit.